Mullen: We’re 7 points from being the team he wants us to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I never see LSU referenced as a rival. We play USC, Vandy, and Kentucky every year too. Are they rivals?

Seabee, I agree with you more often than I'd like to admit, but on this one you are off. LSU is definitely a rival now, and has been for awhile. I agree with you that those of us who lived and died by the Gators in the 80's and 90's list Miami and Auburn as rivals, and rightfully so.

In no certain order, I'd list UGA, FSU, LSU, Auburn, Miami, and Tennessee as rivals.

I just pulled up a list of rivalry games on Wikipedia, and these 6 are the UF rivalry games on their list as well.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
My goodness. Mullen said We’re 7 points from being the team he wants us to be. Toward the end of the clip. 10 minute mark.
Yeah, he had his head in his a$$. Mullen coached a C (D- according to Dooley) game when an A game was required. Defensively, our team got whupped because our 3 star players, Zuniga, Schuler, Campbell and Greenard, couldn't get past their 5 star offensive line. Conclusion, stupidity + talent gap = +7.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not a child, I dont need to vent my feelings on a message board.
So why the hell are you here?

Gotta love someone above the rest of us who wanders onto a sports message board after a huge, season-ending loss and looks down his nose at those who dare to vent. And instead of just leaving people alone and going back to his high-end meth, goes out of his way to publicly declare his superiority. Someone who wanted to remind everyone that he's just better than everyone else.

Hey Oscar:

:moon3:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I couldn't finish. I wanted an angry coach. I saw a despondent coach.
I saw a coach who spent the last 10 mins of the game trying to keep it closer on the scoreboard than it was and claim a moral victory.

It is probably the most disgusting thing Ive seen out of him.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I saw a coach who spent the last 10 mins of the game trying to keep it closer on the scoreboard than it was and claim a moral victory.

I don’t buy that he was trying to make the score closer than the game was, but it enraged me when we burned that timeout when we did, and still fked around and had no sense of urgency to score. I expected him to be much more vocal about them hurrying up, but he didn’t give a shyt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t buy that he was trying to make the score closer than the game was, but it enraged me when we burned that timeout when we did, and still fked around and had no sense of urgency to score.
so what do you think that means? why do you think we had no urgency? why do you think we were content to take dink-and-dunk passes and run the ball because Georgia was putting few men in the box?

Georgia traded US1 score for points seven minutes off the clock.

The one thing trash does well is medium passes, but we took the easy stuff instead and burned the clock the way the team in the lead would do.

Then we didn't bother trying with an onside kick, which if it goes poorly they end up with Georgia getting a late score. But it was our only possible chance.

We didnt even try. He wanted to say see it was a seven-point game and claim the moral victory.

I remember Meyer mocking Kiffin for doing that in our game.

It is what we are now. just hoping to keep it close I guess.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
so what do you think that means? why do you think we had no urgency? why do you think we were content to take dink-and-dunk passes and run the ball because Georgia was putting few men in the box?

The one thing trash does well is medium passes, but we took the easy stuff instead and burned the clock the way the team in the lead would do.

Then we didn't bother trying with an onside kick, which if it goes poorly they end up with Georgia getting a late score. But it was our only possible chance.

We didnt even try. He wanted to say see it was a seven-point game and claim the moral victory.

Maybe, but I just don’t see it. He knows what the Gator Standard should be, and that doesn’t include moral victories. I agree about the onside kick. If we’re giving them the ball back with 6 minutes, sure, kick it deep, but not when we gave it back to them.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016

It wasn't even that we were dinking and dunking down the field. I actually liked most of the play calls on that drive other than the QB run on first and 5 (which, don't get me wrong, was an absolutely miserable call in ANY first and 5. It's a situation where you can run any play you want to get some yards down the field and we ran the least explosive play in the playbook). I think we actually got out of bounds or got a first down on like 75% of those plays but we continued huddling instead of running hurry up and the clock would start running again and we are still looking at the sideline for a play. That drive could have easily been 4 minutes if we didn't let the playclock click down to under 10 on almost every play. EVEN TOWARDS THE END with like 4 minutes left we were doing it. Really horrible. Did the same thing against LSU. Mullen doesn't understand clock management.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Maybe, but I just don’t see it. He knows what the Gator Standard should be, and that doesn’t include moral victories. I agree about the onside kick. If we’re giving them the ball back with 6 minutes, sure, kick it deep, but not when we gave it back to them.

I didn't know that the standard is finishing second or third in the SEC east, because that is what we are unless we fix recruiting and make tough decisions on coaching and get our facilities up and running. Maybe what he really means is the "new standard"He talks about the "standard", but he is not doing what needs to be done to achieve it. Our recruiting is terrible, but we keep hearing we need the results on the field. Well we can't beat Georgia or LSU with this level of recruiting, and would probably lose one we shouldn't, and win one we shouldn't, so recruiting won't get better.

Our season is now over. We will be lucky to finish second, maybe third in the east, and play a meaningless bowl game.

It means we are stuck in a circle of mediocrity.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That 6 minute waste of time drive to effectively end the game when we needed 2 scores can only be explained 2 ways. Either Mullen went complete full retard, Les miles clock management level but without the lucky horseshoe up his ass, or he was doing exactly what law posted. Bleeding the clock to make it close and hoping for some fluke thing to occur to somehow give us the ball back with a few seconds left. Neither of those is trying to win, one may be even worse. The last 7 minutes of that game comprised the worst time and game management ive ever seen from a HC. And I lived through Zook, chump and butters.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member

I hadn't thought of that possibility but now that I think about, he didn't seem to be in any hurry to score, did he? :-) running the ball 6 times, taking his sweet time, then not onside kicking to cap it all off. Just a sorry excercise in coaching.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

That drive took way too long but I understand his thoughts post squib. He was hoping his $1.8M DC could earn his paycheck and stop UGA just once on a third and long. Unfortunately, he didn’t. If that pass is broken up, it’s at 2:45 when they punt. Or if Fromm is sacked, it’s at 2 minutes. We had a chance with that time. Plus - would’ve finally seen the hurry up!

Squib was weird. We’re we trying to catch them off guard and hoping for chaos? I don’t like the onside there as it never works and all but guaranteed a FG attempt from a normally good kicker.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So by Mullen's rationale we're closer to UGA (7 points) than LSU (14points)? Sure didn't feel that way watching both those games, we're definitely behind both, but it felt a ton closer with LSU than it did yesterday.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He was hoping his $1.8M DC could earn his paycheck and stop UGA just once on a third and long. Unfortunately, he didn’t. If that pass is broken up, it’s at 2:45 when they punt. Or if Fromm is sacked, it’s at 2 minutes.
If If If If If If If If If......

UF had not stopped UGA the entire day. There was no evidence, absolutely none, they would that last time. In fact, Mullen was more justified kicking onside there than any coach I've ever seen. It was a no-brainer onside kick.

I don't think kicking onside even crossed his mind.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
And to rub salt into the wound UGA was so confident that we could not stop them that they took a delay of game penalty coming out of a dead ball situation following the kickoff instead of taking a timeout to save five yards. Either choice is an embarassment coming after a KO return but 1st and 10 or 1st and 15 was all the same to them. Spotted us five yards to begin with, wanting to be conservative to run clock and make us use our final 2 TO's and still could not get them off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator