Mullen: We’re 7 points from being the team he wants us to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
If If If If If If If If If......

UF had not stopped UGA the entire day. There was no evidence, absolutely none, they would that last time. In fact, Mullen was more justified kicking onside there than any coach I've ever seen. It was a no-brainer onside kick.

I don't think kicking onside even crossed his mind.
Or IF UGA properly utilized its massive talent advantage they could’ve scored a TD in the red zone that wasn’t aided by an atrocious review. Game was way closer than it should’ve been based on “what’s on paper”. Something closed that gap and I highly doubt it was the heart of our players. Think about it: they looked as complete and competent as they have all year and we looked discombobulated and disorganized. They have a huge talent advantage. Yet they needed a perfect (and lucky, if we’re honest) throw on 3rd and 7 to keep us off the field. I don’t doubt for a second that we tie the game if we get it back and neither did their fans - you see their faces prior to that play? They saw visions of old Florida again and it terrified them. Only the former dawg DC bailed them out.

And look - I’m with you. I wouldn’t trust Grantham either but I think it was the lesser of two evils. Missing on the onside kick seals the game and that’s just about the lowest percentage play in football. Would have almost guaranteed a FG attempt. The way their day went, he probably makes it. At least we had a chance. Failing to give the offense another shot is more evidence that Grantham needs to go.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And look - I’m with you. I wouldn’t trust Grantham either but I think it was the lesser of two evils. Missing on the onside kick seals the game and that’s just about the lowest percentage play in football. Would have almost guaranteed a FG attempt. The way their day went, he probably makes it. At least we had a chance. Failing to give the offense another shot is more evidence that Grantham needs to go.
I could not possibly disagree with this more. The onside kick is the only thing that gave UF a chance.

And a FG attempt? If UGA got the yardage after an onside kick to get into FG range, they would have just run out the clock. A FG never comes into play.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Or IF UGA properly utilized its massive talent advantage they could’ve scored a TD in the red zone that wasn’t aided by an atrocious review. Game was way closer than it should’ve been based on “what’s on paper”. Something closed that gap and I highly doubt it was the heart of our players. Think about it: they looked as complete and competent as they have all year and we looked discombobulated and disorganized. They have a huge talent advantage. Yet they needed a perfect (and lucky, if we’re honest) throw on 3rd and 7 to keep us off the field. I don’t doubt for a second that we tie the game if we get it back and neither did their fans - you see their faces prior to that play? They saw visions of old Florida again and it terrified them. Only the former dawg DC bailed them out.

Even looking at it your way, he still made the wrong choice. If you don't like your chances with the on-sides kick, then kick it through the endzone so no clock runs off and force UGA to start at their 25. That stupid squib kick was the dumbest decision of all the options available.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I could not possibly disagree with this more. The onside kick is the only thing that gave UF a chance.

And a FG attempt? If UGA got the yardage after an onside kick to get into FG range, they would have just run out the clock. A FG never comes into play.
They get to the 36, no first down, 51 yard field goal. They might’ve tried from 53 as he’s got the leg. He can make those and probably does against us. And that’s all assuming they let it go 10 yards, which isn’t always the case. I dunno man - I think there are bigger head scratchers to get wrapped around the axle about - like Jones’ cameo on a 2nd and 10 from the 23 after Trask drive us right down there.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Even looking at it your way, he still made the wrong choice. If you don't like your chances with the on-sides kick, then kick it through the endzone so no clock runs off and force UGA to start at their 25. That stupid squib kick was the dumbest decision of all the options available.
I think I wrote that about the squib multiple times. Don’t understand it at all. Ate clock and gave them the ball at the 32. Can’t understand that unless we weren’t confident that we could boot it through back if the end zone for some reason. Hadn’t been a problem all year, not sure why it would be yesterday. Another reason to fire Knox.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
They get to the 36, no first down, 51 yard field goal. They might’ve tried from 53 as he’s got the leg. He can make those and probably does against us. And that’s all assuming they let it go 10 yards, which isn’t always the case. I dunno man - I think there are bigger head scratchers to get wrapped around the axle about - like Jones’ cameo on a 2nd and 10 from the 23 after Trask drive us right down there.

I doubt they would've tried a long FG attempt in that situation. Even though he has the leg and with our luck yesterday , probably nails it. That would be a huge gamble in that situation, if he misses, then we got really good field position with enough time to try and score. I would think he'd just punted in that situation and pin us inside the 10 and trust his defense. It's all meaningless at this point, I like the onside kick myself in that situation, cause we haven't stopped them all day when it mattered. It's a long shot, but the way the defense had played on 3rd down, I think it was worth the gamble.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
From the way the team played, to the way he and his staff coached, to the words he used in his press conference, I am convinced he never believed for one second that we would win that game. If so, he doesn’t have the brains or the balls for this job, and it’s time for him to pack his sh*t and go. I’m sick and tired of coaches who want to bask in the warm sunshine and cash multimillion dollar checks. I want someone who is hungry, and determined to win.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Head scratchers? How about running the ball or throwing sideways passes until the fourth quarter, refusing to use the talents of his WRs and QB until we are two fvkking scores down late in the game almost every damn game. Honestly, we are just lucky his bullshyt worked against scUM, Kintucky, and USC Jr.

The fccker is wedded to the option run game and short dink and dunk passing. It hasnt changed in two decades. It is never changing.

RaptureVeteran

Banned
BANNED
Jan 26, 2019

You sound like one of the WRs assistants on the team I know. Talked to him today and he pulled this same moral victory garbage out too. "They only beat us by 7 and it should have been 20". Who the **** cares? Georgia won. That's all that matters. Georgia has never been threatened by Florida in the two years Mullen has been the head coach here. IF Kirby ever pulls his head out of his ass and hires a top end OC who runs a modern offense, Florida will never beat Kirby with Mullen as the head coach. Ever. Kirby clearly knows how to stop Dans offense, he can do it in his sleep. Moral victories mean nothing and they dont win you recrutiing battles. And they sure as **** dont win you games, Florida has to rely on Georgia losing to Auburn and maybe TAMU in order to get to Atlanta and I ****ing hate this feeling, we went through this with Zook, and if we end up backdooring into the SECCg there will be a lot of people who act like it was Mullens coaching who got us there. No, twice now all Mullen had to do was beat Georgia to get to Atlanta, he's failed, and he'll continue to fail.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Look I am not a Kirby guy when it comes to management as he showed it by getting that delay to start the final series, but I am of the opinion that not even Kirby is dumb enough to attempt a 50+ yd field goal with 2 or so minutes to play in that situation. Can his kicker make that? Absolutely, but look at the situation. Up 7 why risk a block, bad snap, fumbled snap, or a missed kick? At worst he would punt and give the ball back to a team who had not shown all day an ability to consistently move the ball. The only drive they had was when they were down 2 scores, had 4 downs to make every 1st down and playing a against a UGA defense that clearly was protecting against a big play. And even if they punt it into the endzone I would have put our chances of going 80 yards for a TD in 2 minutes with no timeouts at less than 10%. Therefore I think FG was not even a thought for Kirby had we tried an onside kick and failed.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Look I am not a Kirby guy when it comes to management as he showed it by getting that delay to start the final series, but I am of the opinion that not even Kirby is dumb enough to attempt a 50+ yd field goal with 2 or so minutes to play in that situation. Can his kicker make that? Absolutely, but look at the situation. Up 7 why risk a block, bad snap, fumbled snap, or a missed kick? At worst he would punt and give the ball back to a team who had not shown all day an ability to consistently move the ball. The only drive they had was when they were down 2 scores, had 4 downs to make every 1st down and playing a against a UGA defense that clearly was protecting against a big play. And even if they punt it into the endzone I would have put our chances of going 80 yards for a TD in 2 minutes with no timeouts at less than 10%. Therefore I think FG was not even a thought for Kirby had we tried an onside kick and failed.
Late game ST mismanagement is his specialty. That’s what happened against Bama and USC. It’s what he does. Really seem far fetched for him to try to kick a 50 yarder to ice the game against a team that had just scored 2 TDs in a row?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Dude, he has seen QB power and beat it mercilously his whole career.

I agree with that. Mobile, accurate passer, different story. But I remember watching the ‘17 Msu/uga game and telling a bulldog I know that they’d destroy them. A guy who can’t pass but runs is toast with the defense Smart’s learned over the years under Saban. Not having someone to stretch the the field was a big part of the difference between the ‘08 and ‘09 SECGs.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
That last drive and not going for the onside kick was a real head scratcher.
If Mullen were a poster on this board, he would have the record for "wtf," "dislike," "stoned," and "drunk."
Oh, and "ban" ...but there is another thread for that. :lol:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If Mullen were a poster on this board, he would have the record for "wtf," "dislike," "stoned," and "drunk."

He earned them all honestly.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is an underrated post that deserves a bunch of likes. Hilarious. And so true.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You have been around here long enough to know that watching games and seeing them clearly does not always go over well. Although we did show more in the LSU game IMO, however in both we showed nothing on the defensive side of the ball, regardless of final margin.

LSU also allowed Texas who is talking about breaking off their coach to run up and down on field on them. Lets not pretend that the LSU defense is a juggernaut

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
From the way the team played, to the way he and his staff coached, to the words he used in his press conference, I am convinced he never believed for one second that we would win that game. If so, he doesn’t have the brains or the balls for this job, and it’s time for him to pack his sh*t and go. I’m sick and tired of coaches who want to bask in the warm sunshine and cash multimillion dollar checks. I want someone who is hungry, and determined to win.
Can you please disable your account and hit the transfer portal?

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Can you please disable your account and hit the transfer portal?

Seriously... hit the transfer portal? gfy

If you are satisfied with any aspect of what happened before, during, or after Saturday’s game, I want to work for you. You must suck at holding employees accountable.

I bet you always felt like Muschump and Sharkf*cker were just about to turn things around. I’m tired of watching coaches who try to fit square pegs in round holes, coach to keep it close, and don’t have a burning desire to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator