Muschamp Authored Article for Campus Rush About How Things Will Be Different at USCe

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I wrote his name on checks for many years (my tags and taxes) He was THE tax guy forever. I probably read everything Steinbeck wrote but the King Arthur stuff. I thought Twain did that. I will have go email the library for it. Alachua County has the BEST library system. I go online, order the books, they call me and I pick them up about 14 minutes away. IF they dont have the book the go to interlibrary loans for it.

The St. Louis library system has something similar. Books on tape likely saved me from having an accident back when I had a really long and painful commute and was prone to be lulled into nodding off before I had something to keep me engaged.

Twain did the Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court which was also very entertaining. The Steinbeck version was a modern retelling of the actual King Arthur stories which was really cool because it was his writing style but still the same stories in all their drama and gore! :)

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

About 10 years ago I had some time on my hands and decided to read the "great" American authors. Hemingway, Vonnegut, Kerouac, William S. Burroughs. I didn't make it past Burroughs. After about half-way through Naked Lunch I decided I didn't want to ever read again.:barfaway:

That is admittedly pretty harsh. I am not really a Burroughs fan either. I would recommend you still read Vonnegut though. Vonnegut is one of my all time favorites. I actually got to meet him and his son, who was also a writer, when I lived in Boston. It was truly a bucket list moment! :thumbup:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Meh.........He talks about controlling the things you can control. And what will be his eventual failure is he cannot control himself, period. But rather explains away why he is so competitive, emotional, and so on. A good HC has numerous traits and can control most all of them. Mustank is playing like the kid on the playground that no one likes, and he's going to try and take your lunch money. He has too big of a chip on his shoulder and it will be his undoing.
Couldn't agree more.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing. I've never despised him like many here. I also don't think he's a complete waste. Without re-hashing the contents of this message board for the last 3 years, I agree with stephen that if his team's offense can ever get going, he could surprise a lot of people. ...and I find that there are parts of him and his approach that are likable. I do think his lack of emotional control are problematic and will continue to be until and unless he can get a better handle on them. Also, I hope he never wins against UF on the field or in recruiting, but I welcome him to beat UGA and UTin.

I've dug plenty already in this comment. I'll put down the shovel so you can all beat me with it for not hating and mocking him.

giphy.gif
Problematic? I'll say. His emotional age being stuck as an ego centered, tantrum throwing,, emotionally immature, easily frustrated preschoole or 2 year oldr, and lack of self insight will continue to be his undoing. You can't change what you don't see. There is a misguided self protective mechanism that I believe is so deeply entrenched that it will never allow him to have the necessary insight. This is really blocking his progress as a head coach.and I don't see him being able to get past it. He can talk about scoring and learning from experience all he wants. His mental skills are adult, but they don't rule his emotion make up and insecurities.

Last edited:

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Problematic? I'll say. His emotional age being stuck as an ego centered, tantrum throwing,, emotionally immature preschooler, and lack of self insight will continue to be his undoing. You can't change what you don't see. There is a misguided self protective mechanism that I believe is so deeply entrenched that it will never allow him to have the necessary insight. This is really blocking his progress as a head coach.and I don't see him being able to get past it. He can talk about scoring and learning from experience all he wants. His mental skills are adult, but they don't rule his emotions and insecurities.
Not gonna lie, at first I thought you were talking about Donald Trump. Had to re-read the thread title to remember where I was.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp's run at UF was an interesting phenomenon for me. When he was hired I was thinking we'd gotten a good coach who was also a hometown guy since he grew up in Gainesville and would have probably played for UF had Spurrier not blown his family off when they came to visit for a walk on opportunity. As such I was really pulling for him even going into that last year. Credit where credit is due too he really did fix a broken and toxic culture which Meyer let develop in that last year he phoned in before leaving to 'spend time with the family'.

Ironically where he finally lost me as a coach was in that last game against USCe. I'm a loyal guy so I kept hoping he (and Driskel for that matter) would magically turn a corner but after that game I finally couldn't ignore the fact of how snake bit he'd become and how deeply over his head he was. Where he lost any lingering support from me post UF was from a combination of his seeming relish in sticking it to us in recruiting after he moved to Auburn and from all the statements he made trying to take some credit for Coach Mac's accomplishments even though it was so crystal clear how very bare he'd left the offensive and special teams cupboards. He even helped drive off all the remaining QBs on the roster after he knew he was out but before he was out the door which left us with only Harris behind Grier and we all know how disastrous that ended up being.

I think I am starting to finally get what's behind all his issues now, however, based partly on the tone of this article, his general actions and comments on and off the field and especially after reading the post about him calling into a radio talk show after a 4-8 season. These incidents indicate, to me at least, that he has a base level of insecurity which probably traces back to his being an over achieving walk on and maybe even before that. Though that was probably a great asset for motivating him to be an overachiever as an athlete, it actually works against him as a coach because it undermines his confidence in making decisions as a head coach.

One of the biggest differences between being an athlete and being a HC is that so much more of a HC's job is outside of one's direct control. A Div-1 football coach has to be supremely confident in his own personal formula of how he wants to conduct his program. That was one of the first areas Muschamp fooled me early on as I bought into his readiness based on his 'first 100 days' list he had supposedly been compiling for years in preparation for his first HC gig. Coach Mac, in contrast, clearly had a real plan in mind and therefore didn't need to share that fact with anyone. He just executed it. Similarly Muschamp frequently talked about his efforts to change the culture while Coach Mac's efforts were also very execution based. In fact, as others have noted, it looks to me like Coach Mac uses the media and other outward communication outlets as just another tool to further his cause because he is fully confident in his methodology and is willing to live or die by it without any concern toward what anyone else thinks. That is what big time coaches do and it is also why I think Coach Mac is so highly endorsed by Saban. The really good coaches know that they have to be the captain of their ships which requires a deep conviction in their chosen course as well as a deep ability to craft a staff that is fully committed to that course so that they can be trusted to carry out their assignments without needing constant supervision. I am also much more confident in Coach Mac especially because I now have a much better idea of what a good coach isn't so I have much more to base my opinion on where he is concerned and so far I really like what I see (all the constant whining from the recruiting dumpers notwithstanding).

Based on this article and other factors I've observed I really don't think Muschamp has figured any of that out yet and I am not sure he is capable of doing so either. I believe Muschamp's insecurities cause him to be a micromanager who is prone to panic in game time situations which in turn causes him to take over control of areas he is less capable of overseeing. This also explains why he is a great defensive recruiter but a mediocre at best offensive recruiter because with defense he can micromanage successfully but for offense he is out of his element so his micromanaging style proves counter-productive. I am therefore now very happy he is gone and I view him as a well intentioned but clearly failed experiment. It is good for everyone involved that he is no longer UF's problem to deal with.
Great Post! It mirrors my thoughts on him as well..

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Steinbeck..........I knew I liked this guy immediately for a reason. Dont let Ox get under your skin. He thinks catching fish in a stocked pond makes him Shaw Grigsby..........inflates his ego a little. Here is his rig,
9066371914_b93ba47d92_b.jpg
He'd have them both plastiwrapped in purple.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
It was also clear why Nick Saban chose Dom Capers as a DC over Muschamp when he took the Miami Dolphins head coaching job. For some reason, Muschamp to this day can't figure out why he was passed for a well known and long time DC in the NFL.
Someone here mentioned a while back how he had the benefit of working under Saban, Tuberville(defensive minded coaches) then works under Gus Malzahn and totally stinks it up as a DC at Auburn. I will be shocked if lands another DC job after he gets fired by the Cocks, let alone getting another head coaching gig.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It was also clear why Nick Saban chose Dom Capers as a DC over Muschamp when he took the Miami Dolphins head coaching job. For some reason, Muschamp to this day can't figure out why he was passed for a well known and long time DC in the NFL.
Someone here mentioned a while back how he had the benefit of working under Saban, Tuberville(defensive minded coaches) then works under Gus Malzahn and totally stinks it up as a DC at Auburn. I will be shocked if lands another DC job after he gets fired by the Cocks, let alone getting another head coaching gig.
He was DEMOTED to position coach and encouraged to seek other employment a year later.

His insistence on time of possession, not points, to pad his own defensive stats, are what made Tuberville, the River Boat Gambler who once rivaled SOS in creativity and lighting up the scoreboard, Mack Brown, and Malzahn to have historically bad seasons.

I'm still trying to figure out your statement that Tuberville was a defensive minded coach. Dude was Mr. Bombs Away.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Tubberville still is mr bombs away. Didn't his squad light up Miami with their 3rd stringqb last year?

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
He was DEMOTED to position coach and encouraged to seek other employment a year later.

His insistence on time of possession, not points, to pad his own defensive stats, are what made Tuberville, the River Boat Gambler who once rivaled SOS in creativity and lighting up the scoreboard, Mack Brown, and Malzahn to have historically bad seasons.

I'm still trying to figure out your statement that Tuberville was a defensive minded coach. Dude was Mr. Bombs Away.

I think his general crazy man persona on both the game and practice fields also wears thin on the players and coaches after awhile to the point where they are willing to take their chances with risking a drop off in recruiting intensity and defensive scheming just for some peace. However I think they end up discovering that those perceived upsides are not as pronounced as many perceive because as you point out his style of play actually tends to make his defensive statistics look better than the product actually delivered. One of the biggest differences between the defense in his last year and Mac's first year was the level of ability to close out games with roughly the same people.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016

Okay he may not have been a defensive minded coach but I remember him as a DC at Miami and Texas A&M.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
2016FBPSTR-1-c.jpg

This is one of their "kickoff the season" fb posters - (note the whiff-death fart he's putting on his players)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.