Muschamp Authored Article for Campus Rush About How Things Will Be Different at USCe

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of his mistakes was being a complete dick to the fanbase here. I'm sure his mail order wife or his agent told him to work on being more fan friendly. Which this is just trying to do... Doesn't change the kind of coach he is. But will buy him more leeway at a place like USCe.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Before his last season at UF he called into the call in show (when one of the assistants was doing the show) and was "Bill from Gainesville" (or something like that). It was a silly, desperate act to make him more likable. It was just stupid for the head coach, who had just come off a 4-8 season, to be doing something like that. More of the same....and he's yet to coach a single game there!

Here's to hoping Vandy lays the wood in the opener!!
Foley was on the Steve Russell show when he did that stupid sh*t. It was pretty damn pathetic!!! :lol:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I must say I'm rather surprised at the Muschamp loved that has poured from a number of members in this thread. Makes you wonder who they'll secretly be pulling for when we play USCe. Hang your heads in shame, boys.

Muschamp's run at UF was an interesting phenomenon for me. When he was hired I was thinking we'd gotten a good coach who was also a hometown guy since he grew up in Gainesville and would have probably played for UF had Spurrier not blown his family off when they came to visit for a walk on opportunity. As such I was really pulling for him even going into that last year. Credit where credit is due too he really did fix a broken and toxic culture which Meyer let develop in that last year he phoned in before leaving to 'spend time with the family'.

Ironically where he finally lost me as a coach was in that last game against USCe. I'm a loyal guy so I kept hoping he (and Driskel for that matter) would magically turn a corner but after that game I finally couldn't ignore the fact of how snake bit he'd become and how deeply over his head he was. Where he lost any lingering support from me post UF was from a combination of his seeming relish in sticking it to us in recruiting after he moved to Auburn and from all the statements he made trying to take some credit for Coach Mac's accomplishments even though it was so crystal clear how very bare he'd left the offensive and special teams cupboards. He even helped drive off all the remaining QBs on the roster after he knew he was out but before he was out the door which left us with only Harris behind Grier and we all know how disastrous that ended up being.

I think I am starting to finally get what's behind all his issues now, however, based partly on the tone of this article, his general actions and comments on and off the field and especially after reading the post about him calling into a radio talk show after a 4-8 season. These incidents indicate, to me at least, that he has a base level of insecurity which probably traces back to his being an over achieving walk on and maybe even before that. Though that was probably a great asset for motivating him to be an overachiever as an athlete, it actually works against him as a coach because it undermines his confidence in making decisions as a head coach.

One of the biggest differences between being an athlete and being a HC is that so much more of a HC's job is outside of one's direct control. A Div-1 football coach has to be supremely confident in his own personal formula of how he wants to conduct his program. That was one of the first areas Muschamp fooled me early on as I bought into his readiness based on his 'first 100 days' list he had supposedly been compiling for years in preparation for his first HC gig. Coach Mac, in contrast, clearly had a real plan in mind and therefore didn't need to share that fact with anyone. He just executed it. Similarly Muschamp frequently talked about his efforts to change the culture while Coach Mac's efforts were also very execution based. In fact, as others have noted, it looks to me like Coach Mac uses the media and other outward communication outlets as just another tool to further his cause because he is fully confident in his methodology and is willing to live or die by it without any concern toward what anyone else thinks. That is what big time coaches do and it is also why I think Coach Mac is so highly endorsed by Saban. The really good coaches know that they have to be the captain of their ships which requires a deep conviction in their chosen course as well as a deep ability to craft a staff that is fully committed to that course so that they can be trusted to carry out their assignments without needing constant supervision. I am also much more confident in Coach Mac especially because I now have a much better idea of what a good coach isn't so I have much more to base my opinion on where he is concerned and so far I really like what I see (all the constant whining from the recruiting dumpers notwithstanding).

Based on this article and other factors I've observed I really don't think Muschamp has figured any of that out yet and I am not sure he is capable of doing so either. I believe Muschamp's insecurities cause him to be a micromanager who is prone to panic in game time situations which in turn causes him to take over control of areas he is less capable of overseeing. This also explains why he is a great defensive recruiter but a mediocre at best offensive recruiter because with defense he can micromanage successfully but for offense he is out of his element so his micromanaging style proves counter-productive. I am therefore now very happy he is gone and I view him as a well intentioned but clearly failed experiment. It is good for everyone involved that he is no longer UF's problem to deal with.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
**** him.

He is a ****ing, no-good, piece of ****, Georgia Bulldog....period.

I hope he goes 1-11, with the only win against UGA.

It is going to be fun to see the reaction of their delusional fanbase when he leads them into their home opener with an 0-2 record, and already 0-2 in the SEC.

I pray Mac hangs 50 on his ass.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp's run at UF was an interesting phenomenon for me. When he was hired I was thinking we'd gotten a good coach who was also a hometown guy since he grew up in Gainesville and would have probably played for UF had Spurrier not blown his family off when they came to visit for a walk on opportunity. As such I was really pulling for him even going into that last year. Credit where credit is due too he really did fix a broken and toxic culture which Meyer let develop in that last year he phoned in before leaving to 'spend time with the family'.

Ironically where he finally lost me as a coach was in that last game against USCe. I'm a loyal guy so I kept hoping he (and Driskel for that matter) would magically turn a corner but after that game I finally couldn't ignore the fact of how snake bit he'd become and how deeply over his head he was. Where he lost any lingering support from me post UF was from a combination of his seeming relish in sticking it to us in recruiting after he moved to Auburn and from all the statements he made trying to take some credit for Coach Mac's accomplishments even though it was so crystal clear how very bare he'd left the offensive and special teams cupboards. He even helped drive off all the remaining QBs on the roster after he knew he was out but before he was out the door which left us with only Harris behind Grier and we all know how disastrous that ended up being.

I think I am starting to finally get what's behind all his issues now, however, based partly on the tone of this article, his general actions and comments on and off the field and especially after reading the post about him calling into a radio talk show after a 4-8 season. These incidents indicate, to me at least, that he has a base level of insecurity which probably traces back to his being an over achieving walk on and maybe even before that. Though that was probably a great asset for motivating him to be an overachiever as an athlete, it actually works against him as a coach because it undermines his confidence in making decisions as a head coach.

One of the biggest differences between being an athlete and being a HC is that so much more of a HC's job is outside of one's direct control. A Div-1 football coach has to be supremely confident in his own personal formula of how he wants to conduct his program. That was one of the first areas Muschamp fooled me early on as I bought into his readiness based on his 'first 100 days' list he had supposedly been compiling for years in preparation for his first HC gig. Coach Mac, in contrast, clearly had a real plan in mind and therefore didn't need to share that fact with anyone. He just executed it. Similarly Muschamp frequently talked about his efforts to change the culture while Coach Mac's efforts were also very execution based. In fact, as others have noted, it looks to me like Coach Mac uses the media and other outward communication outlets as just another tool to further his cause because he is fully confident in his methodology and is willing to live or die by it without any concern toward what anyone else thinks. That is what big time coaches do and it is also why I think Coach Mac is so highly endorsed by Saban. The really good coaches know that they have to be the captain of their ships which requires a deep conviction in their chosen course as well as a deep ability to craft a staff that is fully committed to that course so that they can be trusted to carry out their assignments without needing constant supervision. I am also much more confident in Coach Mac especially because I now have a much better idea of what a good coach isn't so I have much more to base my opinion on where he is concerned and so far I really like what I see (all the constant whining from the recruiting dumpers notwithstanding).

Based on this article and other factors I've observed I really don't think Muschamp has figured any of that out yet and I am not sure he is capable of doing so either. I believe Muschamp's insecurities cause him to be a micromanager who is prone to panic in game time situations which in turn causes him to take over control of areas he is less capable of overseeing. This also explains why he is a great defensive recruiter but a mediocre at best offensive recruiter because with defense he can micromanage successfully but for offense he is out of his element so his micromanaging style proves counter-productive. I am therefore now very happy he is gone and I view him as a well intentioned but clearly failed experiment. It is good for everyone involved that he is no longer UF's problem to deal with.
I never realized Tolstoy was a member of this board.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016

Oh, and I've always felt like more of a Steinbeck or perhaps a Faulkner than a Tolstoy (though perhaps the length and run-on sentences would imply more of a Melville?). :)

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Oh, and I've always felt like more of a Steinbeck or perhaps a Faulkner than a Tolstoy (though perhaps the length and run-on sentences would imply more of a Melville?). :)
Steinbeck..........I knew I liked this guy immediately for a reason. Dont let Ox get under your skin. He thinks catching fish in a stocked pond makes him Shaw Grigsby..........inflates his ego a little. Here is his rig,
9066371914_b93ba47d92_b.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Here's my antidostoyevskimentarianism:
Fredrezskonnie fell insanely in love at flirt's sight with Merintxslonka-Holordy Princess of Shidonia,
thinking she had every right to poison her three heir-competitor brothers along with her Father
Klovslabarti, who was officially pronounced dead shortly after the beginning of this sentence.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Steinbeck..........I knew I liked this guy immediately for a reason. Dont let Ox get under your skin. He thinks catching fish in a stocked pond makes him Shaw Grigsby..........inflates his ego a little. Here is his rig,
9066371914_b93ba47d92_b.jpg

Cool boat dude!

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Steinbeck..........I knew I liked this guy immediately for a reason. Dont let Ox get under your skin. He thinks catching fish in a stocked pond makes him Shaw Grigsby..........inflates his ego a little. Here is his rig, [fishing rig and sports car deleted]

Thanks for the support! I wasn't really offended though because I have an extremely thick skin and, in all honesty, he wasn't all together wrong. I do have a tendency to run on from time to time. I am kind of nerdy that way.:peabody: :) On a similar nerdy topic, I am a big Steinbeck fan too. Especially liked his retelling of the King Arthur stories which he didn't totally finish but what was there was awesome! :thumbup: I also will admit to not being all that into the whole fishing thread since fishing isn't really my thing - at least not until they added the hot fisherlady that is! :naughty:)

BTW, I really like your sig. I too really know what it meant to be a Gator when Gator was anything but cool. My parents both grew up in Gainesville so it and UF have been my home away from home for pretty much all my life. So I too have suffered through many of those ancient versions of the Gators that our now spoiled fans can't hardly conceive of (0-10-1?). Now that I live in Missouri, though, I haven't been able to go there in quite awhile. Last time was like 6 or 7 years ago for my uncle's funeral. He was tax collector there for like 40+ years and ran unopposed for reelection most of those years because he such a popular dude (Jim Bishop). (see my tendency to run on in practice... :lol:)

Look forward to chattering with you again!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
. Last time was like 6 or 7 years ago for my uncle's funeral. He was tax collector there for like 40+ years and ran unopposed for reelection most of those years because he such a popular dude (Jim Bishop).
I wrote his name on checks for many years (my tags and taxes) He was THE tax guy forever. I probably read everything Steinbeck wrote but the King Arthur stuff. I thought Twain did that. I will have go email the library for it. Alachua County has the BEST library system. I go online, order the books, they call me and I pick them up about 14 minutes away. IF they dont have the book the go to interlibrary loans for it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hemingway was a pioneer at writing in short choppy sentences. His style popularity ushered in the
acceptance of "readable writing style".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator