Name Something you didnt understand adults liking when you were a kid, but you understand now

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Whiskey.

When I was ten or so, my dad and my uncle were each enjoying a glass of bourbon and like a couple of dum-dums my cousin and I thought it would be fun to ask for some. My uncle told us we could have as much as we wanted and told us to fetch a couple of glasses, which we excitedly did. He poured a tiny bit into each glass which we happily imbibed. I thought someone had poured gasoline in my mouth and tossed in a lit match. I ran to the sink and probably spent a good ten minutes trying to wash that taste out of my mouth. That was of course the reaction my uncle was hoping for. My cousin on the other hand liked it and asked his dad for more. The promise for as much as we wanted was immediately withdrawn and that was that. (My dad thought it turned pretty funny and really busted his brother's balls for a while about it.) Surprisingly my cousin did not become an alcoholic and is now a very successful guy and a moderate drinker. In my case it was a long time later that I learned to appreciate any type of whiskey; now I enjoy it more than any other hard liquor.

Same - for me it was my dad & his dad. Late 20's I tried it again and now keep a bottle around for rare occassions (I don't drink much these days).

About 2y ago I switched to black, thinking the sugar was hurting my diabetes (it likely was, as I used a TON).

= = = ==

On coffee, my mom let me try it when I was in HS. Even with a ton of creme and sugar, it was awful. Now I have 2-3 LARGE cups every morning to get me going.

Related, my nephews (14 & 12) were recently on a trip with their grandparents (my mom & step-dad). Stayed on some island, kids did their activities and saw the adults 1-2 times a day otherwise on their own. The older one found coffee on Friday night around 9pm and was a wreck the next morning. His brother ratted him put saying "Caden had 3 cups of coffee last night", to which Caden quickly responded "No, I had FOUR". Dumbass. He was an ornery sob thru Sat and up all night Sunday intentionally as he expected to sleep on his Sunday trip home. His mother tore him a new one over that episode...but I'm betting he's hooked now.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
A messy bedroom.

When I was a teen, I recall clothes sprawled everywhere in my room. It was like a 'floor is lava' obstacle course to get to the bed at night. Dad spent 4y army, and his dad was career army, and he threatened to leave me with only what I could fit in a footlocker and that would be it. He never followed thru, but it never made sense to me why he cares how MY room was, they weren't supposed to go in there.

Now, with kids 14 & 17, and both of them living in a perpetual hurricane aftermath....I get it. And it drives me up the wall. I've threatened to throw away everything not put away by Sunday ... and haven't followed thru. Repeatedly. And while I don't go in there of my own volition, I'm sometimes asked to go get something and bring it to them...which tempts me to grab the wrong thing intentionally and say I couldn't find what they actually wanted.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
But generally speaking, I was drinking coffee at like 3 years old.
Seriously, that is some OLD coffee! Probably not very good for you. :proud:

For me - it was smoking. Never understood it or liked it...right up until I got started and addicted. Gave it up in the early 90s, but would start again today if they found a cure for cancer.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Country music. The stuff they listened to, not that hip-hop auto-tune infested cookie cutter schidt that passes for it today.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
brussel sprouts
What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Perhaps you thought the name of this thread was, "

Name Something you didnt understand adults liking when you were a kid, and you still dont understand how in the actual F anyone could now​

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I have an odd twist on this... i didn't drink hot coffee as a kid, i'm with you there. But, oddly, when my parents went to bed, they'd almost always leave their remaining coffee (milk and sugar, and yeah, for some weird ass reason, they drank coffee at night and left the cups out) in the family room and on my way to do my paper route at 4:30 am, i LOVED drinking the leftover cold coffee... ice coffee wasn't "invented for another 30 years!
I drink iced coffee almost every morning, and have done so for almost 20 years. It's the best.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Mowing the grass/putzing in the yard. Many a man has based his housing preferences in part on how long this chore would allow him to be alone with his thoughts.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Name Something you didnt understand adults liking when you were a kid, and you still dont understand how in the actual F anyone could now​

depends on how you prepare them...

drizzled with olive oil and seasonings and then broiled in the oven until extra crispy... it's the only way to eat them.

otherwise, yes... they do suck azz.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
depends on how you prepare them...

drizzled with olive oil and seasonings and then broiled in the oven until extra crispy... it's the only way to eat them.

otherwise, yes... they do suck azz.
Oh, I get it... but when one must to put a bunch of schit on something and then broil it until it's extra crispy, one doesn't really "like" something...

I tell people that I joined the Army and left home right after graduating from HS for things like, "God & Country," a "sense of patriotism," even just "for the college fund"... but in reality, it was to escape schitty tasting things at home like brussels sprouts, parsnips, and other garbage "food of military defeat/poorness."

Fast forward to today: my wife, and all 3 of my adult kids "love" brussels sprouts! :facepalm: FML... wonder if the Army will take me back...

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

No...that would still be coffee.

When I was five or six, my parents threw me in the back seat as they often did at 4 AM when driving to Miami for whatever shady business dealings they were up to, knowing I would sleep for most of it and they would be home before having to listen to much of my chit. Well, one day the trip took longer than planned and I was awake for the drive back. Dad gave us the "we're not stopping so get what you want now and go to the bathroom now." I only had time to piss before being loaded into the backseat and had nothing I wanted to drink. Dad refused to stop as dad's do. So I got into the day old percolator coffee with grounds in it...that's all that was left in the thermos rolling around the floorboards in the back seat. I have never tasted anything so foul, so vile, so bereft of any value, taste, or decency in my entire life. Boiled okra and fried liver pureed in a blender would have been preferable to this foul bean juice. It has left me scarred to this day and I refuse to have anything to do with it.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, I get it... but when one must to put a bunch of schit on something and then broil it until it's extra crispy, one doesn't really "like" something...

I tell people that I joined the Army and left home right after graduating from HS for things like, "God & Country," a "sense of patriotism," even just "for the college fund"... but in reality, it was to escape schitty tasting things at home like brussels sprouts, parsnips, and other garbage "food of military defeat/poorness."

Fast forward to today: my wife, and all 3 of my adult kids "love" brussels sprouts! :facepalm: FML... wonder if the Army will take me back...
The real question is, would you take them?

No!

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Depends. What is your gender of choice and particular pronouns you would demand senior NCOs and Officers address you as? I can't believe I could even type that and not puke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.