NBA evolution by decade

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Really good video breaking it down. Compares the eras.

These are always interesting but..

It almost always devolves into "Who was better? MJ or LeBron?!?"
or something like: "There's no way Bill Russell or Wilt could hang with today's players".
something stupid like that.

I think each player was good for their time and the way the game was played during their era.
It's like saying: "Well, imagine how good Marino or Bradshaw would have been with today's passing rules that favor the receivers".
Too subjective.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don’t

or something like: "There's no way Bill Russell or Wilt could hang with today's players".

I think each player was good for their time and the way the game was played during their era.
It's like saying: "Well, imagine how good Marino or Bradshaw would have been with today's passing rules that favor the receivers".
Too subjective.

Agreed. Or something like “if that ball doesn’t bounce perfectly so Ray Allen could bail him out, and if Green isn’t suspended for that game 5, Lebron would have the same amount of rings as Matt Bonner”.

I do agree though. Each era is unique and the crossover is nearly impossible.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Too subjective.
You should watch it. It doesn’t talk about any of that.

In fact, it almost makes a case that Bill Walton may have been the best ever. It knocks down a lot of arguments and stereotypes that ball movement was a lot better in the 70s and 80s. And it blasts the Jordan era a bit by explaining the concept of the illegal defense and why super isolation players like Jordan were able to dominate. It eventually lead to a completely stagnated NBA wide offense until about 2006 or so. Then it went the opposite way and became the offense it is today.

He talks a lot about the sophistication of offensive movement. Although he does say that many of the best teams today do the same concepts from the 60’s pistol offensive set.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
the crossover
Pun intended?

michael jordan nba GIF

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Take away the effing 3 point line and they might actually have a real, non-lazy sport again.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Watched the video and it’s really good. Not at all what some of you thought it would be.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Take away the effing 3 point line and they might actually have a real, non-lazy sport again.
Interestingly from the video, during the NBA Finals in the 80s the 3 point line wasn’t used as much as I thought. Offenses still played the old way.
With the 3 point line you don’t have a cluster of guys standing under the basket like the 1950s. That’s boring basketball to me.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Interestingly from the video, during the NBA Finals in the 80s the 3 point line wasn’t used as much as I thought. Offenses still played the old way.
With the 3 point line you don’t have a cluster of guys standing under the basket like the 1950s. That’s boring basketball to me.
^This. For me, the best era was from when they put the 3 point line in until very early 90's. It was a good mix, and 3's were few in attempt and % made, but impactful and exciting... then the shift came and it all went to schit... Now, get off my lawn!!! :lol:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was actually a really great video. Nice to hear the names of Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, and Al Horford too.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That was actually a really great video. Nice to hear the names of Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, and Al Horford too.

Yeah. The little tidbit on Horford’s evolution as a 3 point shooter was pretty cool.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I don’t

Agreed. Or something like “if that ball doesn’t bounce perfectly so Ray Allen could bail him out, and if Green isn’t suspended for that game 5, Lebron would have the same amount of rings as Matt Bonner”.

I do agree though. Each era is unique and the crossover is nearly impossible.
Sometimes I wonder about how the perception of LeBron, and maybe even his career path, might have changed if he had been the one to hit that clutch three instead of Ray Allen. But I don't like LeBron so I only wonder about it for two seconds before moving on to wonder other things such as, what if we had drafted Devin Booker in 2015 instead of Justise Fuchsing Winslow? :facepalm:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He’s the best shooter the world has ever seen. They need to make a change but i
don’t know what it should be.
Steph curry is one of the most unique players of all time. I'm not a big fan of the modern NBA but Curry would torch anyone any era. I know he's a shooter and maybe not conventional but he's the best pg of all time imo.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I watch the NBA here and there. Mainly in the Playoffs. I used to love it but , now that traveling is legal. Yes they've given them a 3rd step (gather step) just so james harden doesn't get called traveling 10 times a game. They don't play much defense till the end of the game or in the playoffs. The officiating sucks. Too many tick tack fouls are called to makes the games high scoring. And the flopping just annoys the hell out of me. It's just a different game. It's hard to watch

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator