NBA evolution by decade

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He’s the best shooter the world has ever seen. They need to make a change but i
don’t know what it should be.

I’m not a huge basketball guy, and am clearly in the minority here, but I don’t see the horror that the 3 point shot has created. Watching big men like Shaq, Olajuwon(sp?), Barkley, Ewing, etc. post up in the paint and make a shot from 3 feet away or dunk, which was much of the 80s through early 2000s was beyond boring. The whole hack a Shaq thing was basically designed to offset a guaranteed 2 points each possession. And the whole no pass, 1 v 1 that came with KB, Iverson, Lebron, Harden, Durant is equally awful to watch.

It’s crazy what people can do now from beyond the arch, but I don’t see it as the super negative that some of you do.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not a huge basketball guy, and am clearly in the minority here, but I don’t see the horror that the 3 point shot has created. Watching big men like Shaq, Olajuwon(sp?), Barkley, Ewing, etc. post up in the paint and make a shot from 3 feet away or dunk, which was much of the 80s through early 2000s was beyond boring. The whole hack a Shaq thing was basically designed to offset a guaranteed 2 points each possession. And the whole no pass, 1 v 1 that came with KB, Iverson, Lebron, Harden, Durant is equally awful to watch.

It’s crazy what people can do now from beyond the arch, but I don’t see it as the super negative that some of you do.
The issue to me is that threes are attempted too much. And we’ve lost the low post and above the rim play. Attack the rim plays aren’t as frequent because everybody is launching threes. Takes some of the fun out for me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I watch the NBA here and there. Mainly in the Playoffs. I used to love it but , now that traveling is legal. Yes they've given them a 3rd step (gather step) just so james harden doesn't get called traveling 10 times a game. They don't play much defense till the end of the game or in the playoffs. The officiating sucks. Too many tick tack fouls are called to makes the games high scoring. And the flopping just annoys the hell out of me. It's just a different game. It's hard to watch

Yeah the traveling is out of control. I don’t have an issue with “carrying” (palming the ball). The laxing of that rule led to better ball handling. I think that led to better play. Only dribbling on top the ball makes it look awkward. They started laxing on it by the 70s and basically stopped calling it all by the 90s.

But traveling? I’ve seen guys take 4-5 steps routinely.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah the traveling is out of control. I don’t have an issue with “carrying” (palming the ball). The laxing of that rule led to better ball handling. I think that led to better play. Only dribbling on top the ball makes it look awkward. They started laxing on it by the 70s and basically stopped calling it all by the 90s.

But traveling? I’ve seen guys take 4-5 steps routinely.

What’s worse is when the pundits label traveling as tremendous athleticism.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I've started watching the video in the OP and have noticed that the video, and analysis, of the 1950's era basketball reminds me of today's WNBA with the frenetic pace and multiple error-filled possesions before a successful bucket.

Only it was more entertaining than today's W'sBB and due to lack of film color, the same color players are playing.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He’s the best shooter the world has ever seen.
Puh-leeze. Pete Maravich averaged 44 PPG in college WITHOUT the 3 point line.

Curry is a useless one-trick pony that would be deep on the bench in the 80's and 90's, the kind of guy you only put in if you're down huge in the second half. In fact, the Bulls had him for many years in the 90's: his name was Craig Hodges.

Frankly, his father Dell was a more well-rounded NBA player.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Curry is a useless one-trick pony that would be deep on the bench in the 80's and 90's, the kind of guy you only put in if you're down huge in the second half. In fact, the Bulls had him for many years in the 90's: his name was Craig Hodges.

Exactly. Those Subway commercials are quite ironic. Born 5-10 years earlier he’d probably be working at one. Apples to apples, I’m not sure he isn’t George Muresan with better feet.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
One trick pony if Secretariat is a pony.............no doubt the guy is unreal. Rings and stats tell the story with this guy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Rings and stats tell the story with this guy.
Rings in modern NBA mean absolutely nothing. Zero. Neither do stats for that matter, since defense is no longer played. They just stack certain teams with stars and buy titles. And the team that can shoot the best 3's wins it all. Yippee!

My God would I pay to watch Curry play against the Bad Boys Pistons. They would beat the sh!t out of that skinny little dork. :lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Rings in modern NBA mean absolutely nothing. Zero. Neither do stats for that matter, since defense is no longer played. They just stack certain teams with stars and buy titles. And the team that can shoot the best 3's wins it all. Yippee!

My God would I pay to watch Curry play against the Bad Boys Pistons. They would beat the sh!t out of that skinny little dork. :lol:
You mentioned Hodges... the Bad Boys had "The Microwave" off the bench.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Imagine how many points Maravich would have averaged had there been a 3-pt line back then.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You’re insane

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I watch the NBA here and there. Mainly in the Playoffs. I used to love it but , now that traveling is legal. Yes they've given them a 3rd step (gather step) just so james harden doesn't get called traveling 10 times a game. They don't play much defense till the end of the game or in the playoffs. The officiating sucks. Too many tick tack fouls are called to makes the games high scoring. And the flopping just annoys the hell out of me. It's just a different game. It's hard to watch
It's absolute garbage

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ox's hot takes are the best hot takes :lol:

But for the record, I can't stand that sniveling little twerp. And he would be pretty battered if he played in the 80s or 90s.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
People have broken down film from back then and think his average would have been 57 to 60 with a line.
Crazy to think of.

Funny story about Maravich. I knew a guy who was in the Hawks training camp with Maravich as a fellow rookie. The players were all having breakfast, which was to be followed by mandatory meetings, and the practice, when one of the guys noticed Maravich was missing. This guy had finished eating so he volunteered to go see if Maravich had over slept and get him up. He said Maravich answered the door with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other and looked like crap; clearly hung over.

Maravich shows up at the meeting right as the coaches walk in and can barely stay awake. After it was over they headed out to the court and scrimmaged where Maravich absolutely dominated. My friend said he knew right there that he better find another career because there was no way he could keep up with guys like Maravich.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Maravich was beyond amazing. SI had a story about him maybe his soph or jr year. Apparently in Athens he had well over 50 and began dribbling with a minute to go. Jawja could do nothing with him. At the buzzer he trew up a long hook shot that went in. Where ever he went it became a sell out. I saw him play live in the old Alligator Alley (Fla gym). Scored 50 on UF. Made a pass at the end we never figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator