Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n124947 said:
Didn't used to be that way. Nebraska was an enormous college football powerhouse for decades. Pretty sad, really.

They should have stayed in the Big 12.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n124867 said:
A great example as to how shallow the coaching pool is this year.

Or that once powerhouse programs aren't powerhouse programs at the moment.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n124947 said:
Didn't used to be that way. Nebraska was an enormous college football powerhouse for decades. Pretty sad, really.

The counter argument is further flawed assuming that the rest of the country cares about Florida. Anyone that has traveled the country extensively and has talked sports would know that outside of the SEC not much of the country could give a rats ass about college football let alone florida. Heck some people I've come across think FSU and UF are one in the same.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n124968 said:
The counter argument is further flawed assuming that the rest of the country cares about Florida. Anyone that has traveled the country extensively and has talked sports would know that outside of the SEC not much of the country could give a rats ass about college football let alone florida. Heck some people I've come across think FSU and UF are one in the same.

There are people in this state that don't know UF and FSU are two different universities.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
oxrageous;n124947 said:

Fiesta Bowl, anyone? That one still hurts.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n124968 said:
Heck some people I've come across think FSU and UF are one in the same.
Who dafuq are you hanging out with? You don't have to be a college football fan to know the difference.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Like every other hire we will see how it plays out. I don't think Nebraska had the publicity around their search, but mostly because they only fired Pellini like two days ago... maybe they had already blocked the tracking on their planes or maybe their fans/alumni don't know how to use a tracker...

I think Nebraska fans are a little underwhlemed by this hire.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
MatthewM.;n124968 said:

True. College football is different (better) in the south. People are more passionate about hockey where I live. You're totally right about people not making a distinction btw FSU and UF. F^cking Winston is a disgrace to everyone from FL.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nebraska has taken quite a fall since 2001. They lost a good part of their indentity by leaving the Big 12, and most of their indentity with the Calihan hire. They knew who they were, then tried to change it. I wonder what is the next move for them, because this hire wouldn't have happened 15 years ago.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hear that they want Scott Frost as OC and HC in Waiting(training).

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n124976 said:
Who dafuq are you hanging out with? You don't have to be a college football fan to know the difference.

Living here in Texas I have gotten this from a number of non college football fans. People who just follow the Longhorns and nothing else... the conversation goes like this...

Idiot Texan: Where did you go to school?
Myself: University of Florida
Idiot Texan: The Seminoles
Myself - No the Gators... do you follow UT sports
Idiot Texan: Yes
Myself: How would you like it if I called you an Aggie fan? ...
Idiot Texan: My apologies

Just to clairfy... I am in no way saying that Texans are idiots... just the ones who don't know the difference between Florida and Florida State

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n124872 said:
A great example on how a coaching search should go from a privacy standpoint versus our amateur hour attempt. I mean did the CIA run their search?

It was pretty secret until Tuesday when Foley obviously didn't care if it was known he was going after McElwain by filing a flight plan from Gainesville to Ft. Collins. Before that, the sources all swore Stoops or Freeze or Saban was going to be our coach.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. Riley has done a lot with less.

Man, that was fast. And stealthy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n124984 said:
Nebraska has taken quite a fall since 2001. They lost a good part of their indentity by leaving the Big 12, and most of their indentity with the Calihan hire. They knew who they were, then tried to change it. I wonder what is the next move for them, because this hire wouldn't have happened 15 years ago.
It seems like Option Boy down at Lafayette would have made sense FOR THEM. Or maybe GA Southern's coach. Even Mullen if they paid enough. They love option offenses.

Weird for them to hire the Hippy. Does Riley know that pot isn't legal in Nebraska?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n125150 said:
It seems like Option Boy down at Lafayette would have made sense FOR THEM. Or maybe GA Southern's coach. Even Mullen if they paid enough.

Weird for them to hire the Hippy. Does Riley know that pot isn't legal in Nebraska?

Well I think its only a civil infraction for small amounts there.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
BoomTown;n124904 said:
The counter argument to this is that everyone cares what happens at a place like Florida. Nebraska, not so much.

Also, they obviously have no where near the dedicated and informed message board posters that we do. Between FlightAware and the fleet of drones in formation with Foley at all times, not even the CIA could pull off a quiet search for the next UF coach.

An example of just how big a deal we are nationally is the coverage we got with the CSU press. Yeah, I know its local and their local university football team but geez the frenzy that went on up there was unbelievable. Not only that ESPN seemed to have something about our search every time I turned them on. Nebraska and Michigan? Not nearly as much so far.

Right now everyone is discovering Mac nationally because we're Florida. Heh....right now I'm thinking of Jack Nicholson's line in the fist Batman movie, "Wait'll they get a load of me." Go Mac. Go Gators!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Riley is a Ron Zook type coach. He's won games he had no business winning (such as Zook's 2002 win at LSU) and has lost some ugly, ugly games.

Really surprised about this hire. Seems like Nebraska either knew they wanted him all along (doubtful) or got desperate and wanted this done asap.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That one is a bit of a head scratcher.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Seriously, I've been reading that NU talked to Kyle Whittingham and went with Riley? That's not a head scratcher that's just plain dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator