New CFP rankings - OSU# 1 - Who gets in?

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
We needed a seamless transition from Meyer to the next guy while still on top the way that Osu has experienced. Instead, we bought in to a narrative that everything had changed—in one night, mind you—and that we needed to go 180 degrees the other direction. Add that to hiring a perennial loser who always has a built in excuse for why he sucks at life, and that’s literally the difference between Osu 2019 and beyond, and UF 2010 and beyond.

For that matter, you could make the same argument for Utah since 2004.
I kind of think we just caught lightning in a bottle with Meyer. We probably never hire him if Machen wasn't around. Once Meyer left, the ticket taker went back to his normal egotistical/cheap ways and hired two more unproven buffoons before he was finally relegated to ambasador status.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
NE is a pro team, but it runs a spread. It just passes more than Mullinz/ND option ball.
It does now but that’s a last few years development. Spread has been around since the 90s with Mumme and the power spread has been around since the early 00s.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen should take a hard look at Clemson and others that have had success against Bama and UGA.
Been hearing we are going to add tempo and going to add something other than sideways passing since 2005. It only arrives in the 4th quarter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It does now but that’s a last few years development. Spread has been around since the 90s with Mumme and the power spread has been around since the early 00s.
The spread has been around long before Mumme. Hell SOS ran spread (though it was run and shoot out of spread formations).

And there are about a dozen different kinds of spread anyway.

I don't even know what pro style means, but I guess it means 1 TE, split backs and two WRs and run heavy. We didn't run that at all until 2012, and then we went often to two backs, two TEs or to a jumbo.

Almost all the pro teams run a version of the spread now.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Been hearing we are going to add tempo and going to add something other than sideways passing since 2005. It only arrives in the 4th quarter.
Better late than never?

I have too and I don’t understand why coaches hesitate to attack (TOP is Muschamp stupid). And Mullen will never go that way unless he hires someone with experience in those systems. As long as his staff management continues to suck, we’ll stay about where we are.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
the spread has been around long before Mumme.

And there are about a dozen different kinds of spread.
Humme brought it to the south and that’s all that matters. I know you remember the 80s three yards and a cloudy of dust crap that the big 10 still does.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep. Everyone thought pro style was the way to go after Bama pantsed us in Atlanta in 2009. Whoops.

Every region is different, and the schools that reside in them reflect that. The old 2 yards and dust mantra of the B10 is because that’s the type of players they can get. We’d never been a ground’em pound’em team because that’s not what the state produces in large part. Doesn’t even mean it can’t be done. But it was contrary to the speed and athleticism that had won us titles(see Hilliard’s play on ‘96). We lost in 2009 because A) we didn’t have a good OC anymore, and B) we weren’t hungry. In 40 years, only 3(?)teams have repeated. We weren’t going to be any different. Should’ve stayed true to an offensive mindset that worked rather than tryin to conform.

And ironically, the only teams that have beaten Saban since have been spread out offense last with speed and a mobile QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Should’ve stayed true to an offensive mindset that worked rather than tryin to conform.
The offense didn't work and hasn't work unless Tebow and Harvin were on the field. Or Dak. The rest of Mullinz years have been 100ish garbage, if not in both run and pass at least in passing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well we were 7-5 and a dumpster fire with parts that basically didn't fit any offense.

We had a passing QB, a couple of Elijah Williams-lite scat backs and receivers that didn't have the hands to play LB.

I actually think other than not moving the Smurfs to special teams and playing Gillie and Moody at RB, we did about what we could with that team. The NE spread was as functional with that "talent". The offense was garbage and we some how had an offense setup to have the QB as the primary running back, RBs who were meant to be an outside run changeup to the power QB, WR's recruited for their blocking abilities first (right from Meyer's book) and no running QBs.

The 2012 offense was total garbage, total Dwagshyt Ray Goof ball control crap.

I wouldn’t put Addazio in the same category as Day. That was the killer in ‘09-10. I agree though. JB never fit and shouldn’t have ever been recruited. The hodgepodge we ran in 2010 was a disgrace. But we’d already moved on by then. There were people clamoring for a change on the radio the Sunday after Atlanta. It was ridiculous.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
The offense didn't work and hasn't work unless Tebow and Harvin were on the field. Or Dak. The rest of Mullinz years have been 100ish garbage, if not in both run and pass at least in passing.
Find one season with his offense ranked in the hundreds. You can even use your moronic total yards stat.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn’t put Addazio in the same category as Day. .
:lmao2: No shyt, huh?

Well Daz didn't change the offense. He just ran Mullinz playbook with Daz brain, with predictable results.

I thought you mean the transition from spread option to Charley Triple Cheeseburger.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

You make it seem like it’s been such a long time though. If we’d seen 3-4 years of TT, 2 years of Newton, and for hypotheticals, 3-4 years of Dak, that’s the lion share of the time from ‘06-15. And there were other players that we had a chance for like Miller and Lamar Jackson. Look at AR coming in this year. We act like it’s some pearl that emerges every 100 years. The reality is he’s had one on his roster virtues his entire career as OC/HC.

And, to be clear, Tebow and a dynamic playmaker(Fayson, even Caldwell in ‘06 and Demps in ‘08) worked. Better in certain years, but it was never a bad offense. There is no doubt that someone could’ve emerged if things had gone to plan with CN.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You make it seem like it’s been such a long time though. If we’d seen 3-4 years of TT, 2 years of Newton, and for hypotheticals, 3-4 years of Dak, that’s the lion share of the time from ‘06-15. .
Dude Newton didn't play for us and he didn't run Mullinz offense. Dak played 2.5 years (they had some scrub ass junior starting instead until he got hurt) and he struggled in his last year some. The offense didn't work at all 2005-2006. It was clunky as hell and just never really worked in 2009. Was a total disaster in 2010, and worked in at best two years of Dak. Really only 07-8 and whatever Dak's last two years were had functional offense, out of 14 years.

No, I don't consider a 40-60th offense functional.

I know the stats in 09 were decent but they were mostly run up in garbage games or garbage time. Yes, I know TT had a concussion and other issues the whole year, Im just talking about how the offense functioned. A functional offense would have had a backup ready.

The infuriating thing is the damn dude is talented. Mullinz can identify who he needs to target in the secondary and make it work. His routes are simplistic but he knows what to do and how to punish the matchup advantages he sees. Then he immediately slips back into "need to run the option" mindset.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
:lmao2: No shyt, huh?

Well Daz didn't change the offense. He just ran Mullinz playbook with Daz brain, with predictable results.

I thought you mean the transition from spread option to Charley Triple Cheeseburger.

I’m just pointing out that you changed two variables, not one. We lost Tebow/Harvin, but we also lost the play caller that made them go in our big years.

The offense didn’t work because we didn’t have the personnel in either ‘05-‘06, outside of Tebow playing certain downs. Not uncommon. 2010 was past the point of caring and was a totally different OC. Nothing to do with Mullen.

But I’ve said before, every system needs the right QB. Have we just erased all memories of the freak show we rolled out for the majority of 1997-2000? Rewatch some of ‘99 in particular and you may not sleep for days. Nothing was wrong with his system. And he didn’t need a once a century QB. He needed Grossman, 4 years later. Nothing more. We’d just been a little spoiled because it flowed so perfectly from SM to Dean to DW.

Bottom line, with the right transition plan in place we could’ve been fairly seamless from Meyer to the next guy. We got caught with our pants down, then spent the next year inexplicably doing nothing to rectify it. All the other talk of offense and schemes is irrelevant. Osu is proving it can be done. WE were the outlier in the post-Meyer scenarios.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2010 was past the point of caring and was a totally different OC. Nothing to do with Mullen..
Well.... uhhh... you added Cam Newton and he was a Barn the only time an offense worked for him in college....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I have too and I don’t understand why coaches hesitate to attack (TOP is Muschamp stupid). And Mullen will never go that way unless he hires someone with experience in those systems.
There is a way to attack and control almost simultaneously by using tempo in both running and passing game…..actually we did it quite a bit in the latter half of the season last year and it was pretty effective......This year we haven't seen it hardly at all and God forbid Mullen actually remember to use anything effective in big games(UGA last 2 years)….

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well we were 7-5 and a dumpster fire with parts that basically didn't fit any offense.

We had a passing QB, a couple of Elijah Williams-lite scat backs and receivers that didn't have the hands to play LB.

I actually think other than not moving the Smurfs to special teams and playing Gillie and Moody at RB, we did about what we could with that team. The NE spread was as functional with that "talent". The offense was garbage and we some how had an offense setup to have the QB as the primary running back, RBs who were meant to be an outside run changeup to the power QB, WR's recruited for their blocking abilities first (right from Meyer's book) and no running QBs.

The 2012 offense was total garbage, total Dwagshyt Ray Goof ball control crap.
A ****ed up roster?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is a way to attack and control almost simultaneously by using tempo in both running and passing game…..actually we did it quite a bit in the latter half of the season last year and it was pretty effective......This year we haven't seen it hardly at all and God forbid Mullen actually remember to use anything effective in big games(UGA last 2 years)….

Mullen is decent at exposing weak links in a defense but is hard headed at times like people say.

Late last season we just ran more and sped things up which got Franks his bomb each game. I doubt that would work with this crappy run blocking O line. It would be worse if Trask didn't take over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator