Status
Not open for further replies.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would be ok with some defensive coaches staying especially Robinson. Our D is going to be loaded next year with a good secondary. Maybe we'll know more on Saturday at the presser.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n124935 said:
Thinking about it if his current OC stays there or takes another position it wouldn't surprise me to see Roper stay on since its McElwain's offense anyway and Foley owes him that 600K or whatever it is.

I'd be shocked to see Roper stay on. McElwain wants to run his offense, not somebody elses.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n124875 said:
It could be several days before McElwain decides on who stays and who leaves. I'm sure he'll want to have extensive meetings with all the coaches first to make sure they will be a good fit for what he wants to do. He may have a DC in mind, but retaining Durkin and a few others on that side of the ball is likely. I'm curious as to who he retains on offense. I think Summers is the best coach and White is the best recruiter on offense, so they are the most likely to stay. Dillman will likely be retained as well. I don't think Leak should remain the WRs coach, but I do hope that they find a role for him.

So basically the whole staff will be retained?

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
t-gator;n124988 said:

If Muschamp lands somewhere as DC, a few coaches could follow him. Or have found new positions on their own. Doubt they've all been twiddling their fingers while saying to themselves, "gonna have to start looking for a new job in January, yep sure will, I'll have to jump right on that after the bowl game and holidays are over."

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
That's what i thought reading that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n124980 said:
I'd be shocked to see Roper stay on. McElwain wants to run his offense, not somebody elses.

Just saying you see it happen sometimes and he would run McElwain's offense just like McElwain ran what Saban wanted.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n124988 said:

I guess my post does seem like I said that, but I simply wanted to point out which coaches I thought had the best chances of being retained.

Durkin, Robinson, Lawing, Summers, White, and Dillman have the best shot of staying imo, but I doubt all of them will. I hope Leak is offered his former position because won't be the WRs coach. Hutzler, Lewis, and Roper are most likely gone. So my guess is that McElwain will have to fill at least 4 positions, probably more.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Summers, Lawing, and Robinson have to stay. Others are coaches choice...

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n124980 said:
Roper ran dawgchamp's offense, so I'm sure for 600k he would run McElwain's, which would be more exciting for him compared to what he had to put up with.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Roper ran a pass heavy prostyle at UT and Ole Piss. He could do Big Mac's offense, or more than likely be the QB coach and OC in name only. Just keeping the lingo similar would help a bunch.

That being said, I doubt it. The new coach should mostly bring his own staff except for a couple who will ensure recruiting transition.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just glad to have a new HC. Whoever he decides on for a staff is fine with me, as he's the one that will be running the show.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[video]http://florida.scout.com/story/1488390-possible-gator-assistants-under-mcelwain?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=Possible%20Assistants%20Under%20McElwain&utm_campaign=NCAAFB%20Marketing[/video]

Good list of coaches

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yankeetown;n125043 said:
If Muschamp lands somewhere as DC, a few coaches could follow him.
Most will be looking for jobs. Usually two are retained. I know not why.

I expect the other defensive guys, except DJ, to go with him. DJ is a great recruiter and will likely want to land as a DC somewhere.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n125200 said:

I expect the other defensive guys to go with him.
Well, if 2 is the number, I vote TRob and Lawing. :brad:

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n124935 said:
Thinking about it if his current OC stays there or takes another position it wouldn't surprise me to see Roper stay on since its McElwain's offense anyway and Foley owes him that 600K or whatever it is.

If Roper voluntarily leaves, do we still owe the $$$? Is it like alimony? If they get re-married the money automatically stops?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n125200 said:

I expect the other defensive guys, except DJ, to go with him. DJ is a great recruiter and will likely want to land as a DC somewhere.

I didn't think coordinators typically got to take people with them.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Orlando Sentinel is reporting McElwain will not bring any of the staff over from Colorado State. Only Gators adds that McElwain and Foley spoke earlier in the week about how it may be in the program's best interest to retain a number of staff members, esp certain defensive assistants and recruiters.

That points to Durkin likely staying on as DC, but leaves open to interpretation whether Roper will continue to fill the same role with the offense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That's good news, Durkin and trob are important if we wanna land cece and cowart. Possibly Holland

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Go Gata;n125221 said:
If Roper voluntarily leaves, do we still owe the $$$? Is it like alimony? If they get re-married the money automatically stops?

I think he is guaranteed his 600K or whatever it is but it would probably be reduced if he coaches somewhere else. If he doesn't bring the OC from CSU I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps Roper to call plays here for his offense. Like Law said Roper has run pro style and spread without a lot of zone read QB runs like they did at Duke some years.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n125202 said:
Well, if 2 is the number, I vote TRob and Lawing. :brad:

Those are my top 2. Would also like to see Summers retained on the OL.
Don't really care about the rest. Like someone implied earlier, it might be good to jettison some of the stink left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator