Recruiting New DT Commit

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm beginning to wonder if the "T" in t-Rex is for Tina. Rex sounds a lot like Tina, an ex-girlfriend of mine from college. She was a real barrel of laughs...:waiting:
Life of the party, she is. :yoda:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I totally agree that stars aren't everything, but I want to play this game too.
Percy Harvin 5 star- moral stephenson 4 star, ryan sousa 3 star (who?... exactly.)
Tim Tebow/Cam Newton 5 star- Jacoby Brissett/Treon Harris 4 star.

I would argue Tebow and Harvin (and technically Cam Newton) have been the best offensive players we have recruited since spurrier, and maybe ever. All were 5 star recruits.

If you say stars don't matter, you are dead wrong. If you say stars don't mean EVERYTHING, then you are correct. If you want to argue over whether stars matterthe statistics that show the percentage of 5 stars that get in the NFL is around 40-50%. A much, much higher percentage than any other star status. For SEC freshman classes between 2008-2012, a whopping 25% of the 5 stars became first round picks. 4 stars- 5.3%. And 3 stars- 1.2%.

We all know stars don't mean everything and that there are always duds. But the reality is that there is a much smaller chance that this guy is going to be an all-SEC lineman for us than if he was a 5 star.

That being said, I will reiterate that getting recruits like this early in the process is important, and hopefully he can find a contributing role on the team in a couple of years. So I'm happy we got this guy, but I'm not exactly excited and I can understand why some people are being a little negative about it.

My thoughts right there. Of course they matter to an extent but they aren't end all be all. Just found it funny that Debose was the player used

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting-wise, Mac has to know those that he fills his roster with will be in charge of winning or
losing games for Florida's Head Coach McElwain. These kids are the "instruments" Mac must use
to insure his career security. So it seems to me that he must be studying these kids and recognizing
higher star-worth than those pundips whose evaluation mistakes won't cost them their jobs.

Further, there must be some not-so-explicable reasons-causes for 5*s not being relied upon to commit.
I believe Time is against us ... that is, we are not far enough time-separated from being somewhat of
a MessedChomp laughingstock, along with the 2015 Treon debacle offense reviving Gator demisery.
I expect our coach-staff via player development to improve us with what we've got; then I hope that
swell-wave will attract 4*,5* elite wanting to make a splash with their CFB careers. Continued recruiting
shortfalls will cost Mac his job, so he's got to be pulling out all the stops to fill us with highest star-worth
players. Let Time show us the path Mac carves.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I totally agree that stars aren't everything, but I want to play this game too.
Percy Harvin 5 star- moral stephenson 4 star, ryan sousa 3 star (who?... exactly.)
Tim Tebow/Cam Newton 5 star- Jacoby Brissett/Treon Harris 4 star.

I would argue Tebow and Harvin (and technically Cam Newton) have been the best offensive players we have recruited since spurrier, and maybe ever. All were 5 star recruits.

If you say stars don't matter, you are dead wrong. If you say stars don't mean EVERYTHING, then you are correct. If you want to argue over whether stars matterthe statistics that show the percentage of 5 stars that get in the NFL is around 40-50%. A much, much higher percentage than any other star status. For SEC freshman classes between 2008-2012, a whopping 25% of the 5 stars became first round picks. 4 stars- 5.3%. And 3 stars- 1.2%.

We all know stars don't mean everything and that there are always duds. But the reality is that there is a much smaller chance that this guy is going to be an all-SEC lineman for us than if he was a 5 star.

That being said, I will reiterate that getting recruits like this early in the process is important, and hopefully he can find a contributing role on the team in a couple of years. So I'm happy we got this guy, but I'm not exactly excited and I can understand why some people are being a little negative about it.
Nice argument, but you forget that Cam Newton was a 3 star when he committed to Urban. That's right, a 3 star just exactly like this DT recruit. For all you genii know, he could get bumped to 4 stars shortly after committing and 5 stars before signing-- JUSt LIKE Cam!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nice argument, but you forget that Cam Newton was a 3 star when he committed to Urban. That's right, a 3 star just exactly like this DT recruit. For all you genii know, he could get bumped to 4 stars shortly after committing and 5 stars before signing-- JUSt LIKE Cam!

Newton was a 4* when he commited, ftr.

But your point has some validity. We have no idea where this kid could end up ratings wise. That said, while I'm happy to have him and know we badly need to fill the DT position, the argument from some is that we keep landing guys like this. While we could be great at discovering diamonds in the rough, logic and history says that at some point, we need elite talent as well. Not sure this fits the bill. But again, he could end up being a huge get.

The other issue we seem to have is hanging on to these guys. He seems like a good, bright kid. So he likely sticks. But when some of these 2-3* kids are still taking visits to far inferior schools in the days leading up to NSD, it says that it's a recruiting/closing problem on our end rather than a different approach or better evaluation ability.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But when some of these 2-3* kids are still taking visits to far inferior schools in the days leading up to NSD, it says that it's a recruiting/closing problem on our end rather than a different approach or better evaluation ability.
Really, everything about our recruiting suggests a recruiting problem.

It's dumbfounding. I don't know how you struggle to recruit at THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA. Mindboggling.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Saw Scott play (in person) last year and dude is a "Beast" who can actually run. Dude can motor at 345lbs! Big pickup...now we need 2 elite DT's and we'll be good for this cycle. #ChompChomp

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016

It's dumbfounding. I don't know how you struggle to recruit at THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA. Mindboggling.
We might never know, but in recruiting things can get pretty dirty. Schools will pull out all the stops to get a kid and it is sad but true that some recruits will go to a school that will give them the most benefits/perks.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016

That obviously doesn't mean jack sh*t....We are "THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA"...and we have been sh*tty for close to 6 years. Don't think that phrase holds much weight to these kids.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

That obviously doesn't mean jack sh*t....We are "THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA"...and we have been sh*tty for close to 6 years. Don't think that phrase holds much weight to these kids.

I don't think us being crappy has anything to do with it. I think we just don't have good recruiters. Gray seems to be a really good recruiter. And Mac is a really good recruiter. Other than that?

If being crappy had anything to do with it we would've not been able to pull in that stellar wide receiver class last year with that crappy product on the field.

I've never seen a DC with crappier recruiting skills than ours.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
I don't think us being crappy has anything to do with it. I think we just don't have good recruiters. Gray seems to be a really good recruiter. And Mac is a really good recruiter. Other than that?

If being crappy had anything to do with it we would've not been able to pull in that stellar wide receiver class last year with that crappy product on the field.

I respect that. I'm not saying us being crappy is the ONLY reason. It is a big part though

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Newton was a 4* when he commited, ftr.

But your point has some validity. We have no idea where this kid could end up ratings wise. That said, while I'm happy to have him and know we badly need to fill the DT position, the argument from some is that we keep landing guys like this. While we could be great at discovering diamonds in the rough, logic and history says that at some point, we need elite talent as well. Not sure this fits the bill. But again, he could end up being a huge get.

The other issue we seem to have is hanging on to these guys. He seems like a good, bright kid. So he likely sticks. But when some of these 2-3* kids are still taking visits to far inferior schools in the days leading up to NSD, it says that it's a recruiting/closing problem on our end rather than a different approach or better evaluation ability.
Love your posts, sofla, but Newton was a three star
Same discussion about offering a three star we are having here. Fourth star immediately thereafter, people said B/C uF offered, and fifth star during. My short term memory is suspect, but this isn't short term.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Side-hat Geoff Collins with his $ sign gold chains and $ sign "money-down" sideline signs is just an embarrassment to the University. Would you want your son playing for such a pig?

Randy Shannon has the personality of a cactus.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

/pumper-power-activate

I recall Dalvin Cook and Shavar Manual being 'committed' to us then pulling the surprise switch. Those both involved F$U and some shady recruiting tactics, but they are what they are - they trolled us and weren't really commits. Other than that, what other 4/5* did we have that were genuinely committed to UF but didn't sign?

On the 2/3* kids 'committed' but still looking around <<presses turbo pumper mode>> it is a logical plan B for them as they likely know they should be a plan B for UF. If we get a better kid, this one needs a place to switch to.

/pumper-power-deactivate

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.