Gator Basketball Next year’s basketball roster: Mike White lands #1 Graduate Transfer Kerry Blackshear

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Canada Basketball camp notebook: Chris Boucher withdraws,...

Andrew Nembhard shines

The Florida sophomore was the standout performer in Canada’s opener, scoring eight points and posting a +12 mark in 10 minutes.

The bulk of those came late as Nigeria tried to chip away at a double-digit Canadian lead, and Nembhard had a mini-takeover in response. With the lead down to four, Nembhard drew fouls on consecutive offensive possessions to extend the lead, then fed Birch for a highlight-reel dunk, then more or less delivered the dagger with a nifty start-and-stop move to get a bucket high in the paint.

Nembhard is only 19 and still looks a little young relative to the rest of the senior team — the same case as last summer in FIBA qualifiers and even in prior summers at Crown League — but he looks like he belongs when the ball is rolled in. Nembhard was probably on the roster bubble when camp began, and chatter suggests he’s improved his chances of making the final 12 more than maybe anyone else.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is huge!!!

Andrew Nembhard Impressing For Team Canada | GatorCountry.com

While Nembhard’s ability as a setup man is unmistakable he wasn’t a dangerous scorer last year which allowed some of the better coaches in the SEC to scheme against him, taking away passing angles and instead daring Nembhard to score. However, that seems to have changed. Canada’s coach Nick Nurse (of the NBA’s Toronto Raptors) mentioned his ability to score.

““He was great, that’s kind of what he’s looked like in practice. He’s kind of a guy that can make plays and create and get his own. He plays with a really good demeanor. He doesn’t play like a young kid and he just kind of does his thing and takes his openings when they’re there.”

This wasn’t the only time I’ve heard about Nembhard’s improved individual offensive instincts. Assistant coach Darris Nichols told me last week his shot making is his biggest improvement and hearing it from both him and an NBA Championship winning coach in Nick Nurse makes me think it’s probably true.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Jit has some mass on that frame. Hoping he contributes hugely this year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've not read anything on how long Jitiboh has been playing basketball ... at what age did he start playing organized basketball? ....
If he has not played as long or as frequently as the others maybe he'll show the biggest jump improvement. :D

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I had no idea we had a big African kid showing up as a fr. He looks like a tough kid with a work ethic. that 6 11 sounds wonderful.
Kind of player we've been missing since Egbunu. We finally got some beef in the middle to go with our speed and shooting. Gonna be a fun year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maheo's video shows that Jitoboh facilely uses the bank off the backboard to send the ball definitely into the net. I know this view is playing against air, but it shows he "gets it". In the past our inside shooters clanged the rim directly or if they used the backboard, their trajectory was too low and the ball slid along the rim and sailed outward. It had to be frustrating for coach and teammates to see that working it inside payed off too little. I know lots of times last season L was frustrated at getting it inside for too little payoff. Our "new bigs" should change all that.

I mentioned all that to say that it looks like our new "big men" will increase that crucial stat on how many points a team scores per # of possessions. Points per possession is considered the truest measure of the team's true winning rank. Each possession can have a turnover, a miss, a block (0 points), or have a 1 point play (FT), or have a 2 point play, or have a 3 point play. Somebody with real basketball knowledge could better explain and keep track of it for this season, maybe compare it to last year's team? I think KenPom tracks this.?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

I mentioned all that to say that it looks like our new "big men" will increase that crucial stat on how many points a team scores per # of possessions. Points per possession is considered the truest measure of the team's true winning rank. Each possession can have a turnover, a miss, a block (0 points), or have a 1 point play (FT), or have a 2 point play, or have a 3 point play. Somebody with real basketball knowledge could better explain and keep track of it for this season, maybe compare it to last year's team? I think KenPom tracks this.?
Let's try to remember that almost no player has ever averaged 65% shooting percentage for the Gators. Not realistic. Anything around 55% is an excellent stat for a big man.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let's try to remember that almost no player has ever averaged 65% shooting percentage for the Gators. Not realistic. Anything around 55% is an excellent stat for a big man.

Kevarius Hayes last year 67.3 % .... and Hayes was heavily criticized for his clumsy hands. He seemed to miss a lot of shots he should have made.... 29 players last year shot 65%+.... The 100th ranked player hit 58.6%.... Taco Fall stumbled his way to 74.3% ... The top % was 81%. To be included in these stat-leaders, these guys played reasonable minutes.

I'm hoping Gators can have a 65% FG% shooter...but you're right 55% is a star-level average. Our team average last season was FG% of 42%. We need and should raise that up.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Kevarius Hayes last year 67.3 % .... and Hayes was heavily criticized for his clumsy hands. He seemed to miss a lot of shots he should have made.... 29 players last year shot 65%+.... The 100th ranked player hit 58.6%.... Taco Fall stumbled his way to 74.3% ... The top % was 81%. To be included in these stat-leaders, these guys played reasonable minutes.

I'm hoping Gators can have a 65% FG% shooter...but you're right 55% is a star-level average. Our team average last season was FG% of 42%. We need and should raise that up.
My apologies if I was incorrect. That seems more like Hayes' free throw percentage.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My apologies if I was incorrect. That seems more like Hayes' free throw percentage.

Lord Sam, it wouldn't be unlike me to glaze-gaze wrongly over that, but I checked NCAA stat list and Gators' stats for him and 67.3% FG% it was. Good bad-point you made = if his FG% is near his FT%, Hayes was sloppy of mind? He sure did all out hustle for his team.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Glad he is okay. But, this concerned me,

Offensively Lewis looked quite rushed and wasn’t awfully comfortable on that end but he defense and competitiveness had a lot of people at the event intrigued with his potential.
Scottie wasn't the #1 scorer on his HS team; can't remember his name, but that dude's going to Nova. He's way more offensively gifted than Scottie. Scottie's value is in his defense and overall hustle; he'll need to get used to the college level of play on the offensive end, but points will come.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He has really transformed his body. That’s a good sign that Jit is legit!

He came in around 300. I think playing on the team he was on got to him. As talented as he is, not touching the ball more than 5-6 times a game caused him to loaf. That is why Shaq always said that if you wanted to keep him interested, feed him. I also think that is why Jit's ranking was lower than it should have been, his ball hogging teammates. I will say, I don't think he is an above the rim type like Payne. He will need to learn to use that massive frame to his advantage. He is not going to out athletic other big men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator