Gator Basketball Next year’s basketball roster: Mike White lands #1 Graduate Transfer Kerry Blackshear

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nembhard is from Canada. So, he’s getting a unique opportunity to play in the world championship.

Right, but still wondering about other guys.?? What they doing? Be good even if all they're doing is shooting free-throws all day.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Right, but still wondering about other guys.?? What they doing? Be good even if all they're doing is shooting free-throws all day.

I’ve looked. I found stuff on Jitoboh losing weight. Just not a lot of info out there. I’m only finding Nembhard stories because of the Canadian media covering the team. I know Lewis and Blackshear are working hard. They are all about business. Usually those kind of players rub off on everyone else.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve looked. I found stuff on Jitoboh losing weight. Just not a lot of info out there. I’m only finding Nembhard stories because of the Canadian media covering the team. I know Lewis and Blackshear are working hard. They are all about business. Usually those kind of players rub off on everyone else.

Thanks Maheo. Just hearing someone with his ear to the ground say he knows Blackshear and Lewis are laboring fiercely to be ready to go keeps me happy. I want all our guys to be full ready first game. Don't we play FSU early on? FSU is tall and will surely be ranked ahead of UF. What an excellent opportunity to upset them.

So rare that UF basketball fans have pre-season hopes so high that we can be optimistic with strong conviction. Love it !... I gotta bow in thanks and admiration for coach Mike White ... and recruiters.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't we play FSU early on? FSU is tall and will surely be ranked ahead of UF. What an excellent opportunity to upset them.

So rare that UF basketball fans have pre-season hopes so high that we can be optimistic with strong conviction. Love it !... I gotta bow in thanks and admiration for coach Mike White ... and recruiters.
FYI:
According to the recent ESPN bracketology we are a #1 seed and FSU is a #7, so we're likely to be ranked ahead of them when we play them in the 2nd game of the season (and it's at home). Hope we take care of business.
Bracketology with Joe Lunardi

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They lost some key players from last season, right?

How good ?
They've got the usual spread of 6'8"-6'9" guys. Then 1-7'0" ... 1 - 7'1" ... and 1 - 7'4".
None are lightweights.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Can’t wait for this season. Also Stokes sitting out this season could be a problem with his weight management. But if he really works hard and stays in shape he could help them once he’s eligible.
Memphis is not a good town for weight management. The BBQ is just too good.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They lost some key players from last season, right?
They had two guys drafted, Kabangele and Mann. I don't know if they had any additional attrition, but losing two players who got drafted is a pretty big deal. And we're likely gonna have that happen in the next draft ourselves, which is good, I think.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
We are a preseason #1 bracket? Holy Chit, that's some sky-high expectations. White must be doing something good.

Considering our recent track record, I’m not worried about a #1 seed. However I wanna see us beat the nole$ and complete for the SEC Crown. By season’s end, I’ll consider what is a reasonable expectation for the big dance.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My immediate worries are:
Has CBB ever had such a lofty ranking prediction based so much on "incoming" players? (Are we set up for a fall?)
We have yet to know if Mike White can get the best team chemistry from these guys?
Especially, since he's never coached a team that oozes inside commandos? (I know: Pinklin's job?)
My pressing worry is will White's worship of Defense defuse our guys scoring prowess?

Naah, I'm not worried a bit:
UF has never had so many players with so many natural talents. (except our back to backs)
Never had so many players fully ready to go. (except our back to backs)
We have a "ready-made" star leader in Blackshear's all rounded game.
Novice Nembhard comes back well seasoned. (Did White see all his potential better than any coach? - Wow !)
Conceptually, I'm excited about 6'11" heavyweight, 'Jitobohemoth'.
Then there's our solid returnees = N.Locke, K.Johnson, 6'9" Bassett.
Is there any positive info on Gorjak Gak? (poor fellow)
Can't wait to see practice film or just verbal reports of these guys gelling !!
We should be pleasantly surprised by scores of new plays that put the ball in the basket. (Our fun to watch.)
Maybe we should have a poll guessing what UF's scoring average could be. (Might we lead the SEC?)

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
My immediate worries are:
Has CBB ever had such a lofty ranking prediction based so much on "incoming" players? (Are we set up for a fall?)
We have yet to know if Mike White can get the best team chemistry from these guys?
Especially, since he's never coached a team that oozes inside commandos? (I know: Pinklin's job?)
My pressing worry is will White's worship of Defense defuse our guys scoring prowess?

Well,

1. UK and Duke and this year Memphis are traditionally rated very high just on incoming players.

2. UF has a very nice core of Nembhard, Locke, Johnson and Bassett who are proven at UF at this level. Additionally Blackshear is proven at the power 5 level just not at UF in White's program. So that is a pretty decent core of 5 proven players with a good distribution of positions.

3. UF has five frosh who with that core do not all have to work out and stay healthy, but of course it is pretty important for Lewis and one of Mann and Glover to be contributors immediately. We of course are all betting on Mann, but then I had never heard of Andrew Moten until I saw him dominating a UF game on TV as a true frosh.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Another positive: with Locke fully healthy, will he tear it up as a 3-point shooter?
Of course, Nembhard + Blackshear may be the scaffolding White needs to win the SEC. Let that scaffolding make the other players click.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The main thing is to get them to buy into the mindset that its all about winning and team. Not a showcase to make me look good for the future NBA draft. I think they know this is MW's mindset. And like Billy found out and addressed, when shots are not falling Def. makes all the difference.
Keep the bigs healthy to protect the rim and rebound. Bring back some 04s to talk to them about TEAM CHEMISTRY. This team has a high ceiling............

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.