No Upside to Bowling

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I always like seeing orange & blue on TV. Besides, can they do as bad as if Mullen coached them? Doing better is a plus direction.
If players want to compete, let them play.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Of course we do. It's not just about us, it's about the conference. Plus the players worked hard to beat FSU yesterday and get eligible, so that in itself deserves a reward. There are almost always down sides to everything, if you want to focus on them.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I can have my Monday December 6, at 10:00 AM with the Gators playing New Mexico Polytech in the Spatula bowl, or without it.

I’ll choose with everything time.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
There is plenty of upside to playing in a bowl. Give AR15 another start against a team that isn't UGA. Let him work out some kinks and get more comfortable. Week 1 next season isn't a joke and getting these young guys reps will be important. Even if the reps are not as beneficial as they could be. A some benefit is better than none. Let young guys like Wingo, Torrence, Dexter, Lee (who played quite a bit yesterday), Hopper, and Marshall continue to figure things out on defense. Nothing can simulate game reps like actual game reps. The new staff can watch bowl practices to get a feel for players, this would be beneficial for the coordinators to help adjust an offense/defense around the player's abilities.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I could've sworn I read in one of the initial articles announcing Mullen’s firing that UF would not be accepting a bowl invitation regardless of whether we beat FSU or not.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I could've sworn I read in one of the initial articles announcing Mullen’s firing that UF would not be accepting a bowl invitation regardless of whether we beat FSU or not.
Potentially. APR allowed us to go as 5-7 team but only if there are enough slots.

it doesn't seem that's going to be the case. There are more bowl eligible teams than bowls. we are probably going to go to some non-sec tied bowl.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
If there are pieces of a new staff. Get out and salvage something of a disastrous class. Recruit first. Coach later. Just a distraction leading to a giant splat win or lose. This is one case where that decision ought to appeal to the geniuses in the administration. They know they will lose money on a bowl attended by nobody.
Spot on! The reality is the new coach and the early on staff need to focus on three thing only. Working to retain talent which can be retooled, recruiting incoming HS talent, and drafting to fill holes via the portal. I would want to send the returning players home to family for the holiday's and tell them to enjoy the short vacation because they will be expected to show up after the 1st of the year prepared to work harder than they ever have in their young lives.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Spot on! The reality is the new coach and the early on staff need to focus on three thing only. Working to retain talent which can be retooled, recruiting incoming HS talent, and drafting to fill holes via the portal. I would want to send the returning players home to family for the holiday's and tell them to enjoy the short vacation because they will be expected to show up after the 1st of the year prepared to work harder than they ever have in their young lives.
That was what Urbs brought and they embraced it and loved it. 55k at the O&B game. Not sure the current generation is that motivated. I'd want the ones that are and only those players. We got 60 that want to play instead of 30 and 55 that are dead weight.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Not playing a bowl game is frankly the most pvssy a$$ B!tch thing I’ve ever heard. You play the bowl becau
How about this team just does not deserve a free vacay to some shytty bowl so they can ham it up for a week on social media. Did you see the crap after the Samford game? How about the admin and new coach send a message for once. You want to change the culture, then start here, right now.

no they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs, but they probably do deserve to be in Shreveport. For guys that have spent the last three years in NY6 bowls, the drop off in the quality and hype in a lower tier bowl is probably motivation enough. Also there are seniors who this will be the last organized football they will be playing for the rest of their lives and robing them of that after their hard work is unfathomable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For guys that have spent the last three years in NY6 bowls,
NY6 means jack shtt. I just means 3rd-4th (or 5th in covid year) in SEC.

It hasn't meant shtt since the REAL Sugar, Orange, Fiesta etc are now playoff games.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Best reasons for playing the bowl game.

#1 We went into the FSU game knowing that was what was at stake in the game. The players delivered. They deserve it.

#2 It'll give Napier some food for thought about who he needs to try hardest to go out and get for next year.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
How about this team just does not deserve a free vacay to some shytty bowl so they can ham it up for a week on social media. Did you see the crap after the Samford game? How about the admin and new coach send a message for once. You want to change the culture, then start here, right now.

They don't "deserve" it according to who? Do you think they have just been sitting around all year eating Cheetos? Do you have any idea how much time is spent in the gym, practice, and classes? I don't either but I would bet it's easily over 40 hours a week for a lot of them.

Most of the players work hard all year and are 18-20 year olds. Many who have rarely had opportunities to take anything resembling a vacation at this point in their lives.

It's not their fault they had a coach that couldn't see that emory Jones shouldn't be playing at this level. Come on man.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.