Noles lose by 60 to UGA, decide not to hang NC banner

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If the dwags would have won, they would most likely be facing the semi’s in NOLA.

So FSU gets the same opportunity, just in Miami. They should be ecstatic!

Now that FSU has gotten its president, half of Twitter and just about every important politician south of the Mason Dixon involved, it may be the most watched Orange Bowl in years. You wanted attention, you got it.

Lurker

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I really hate you guys for making me do this. I have to bathe in bleach after this post.

The committe has had FSU in the top 4 every week, until now. How does them winning a conference title all of a sudden make it clear to them they're no longer a top 4 team?

The answer is because the committee votes based on the results on the field, until the very last week, when they need to manipulate the rankings in order to get the matchups that they want.

No other program, but Alabama, would jump an undefeated P5 team with 1 loss on their resume. Texas is only a playoff team because the committee had no choice. In order to get Bama in they had to put Texas in. Had Georgia won on Saturday, Texas would not be in the playoffs.

It's not even about who they think the 4 best teams are either, because then Georgia would be in the playoffs. Throughout the entire history of college football, when it comes down to the final vote before the bowl games, it has never been about the results on the field or anyone's opinion on what the top 2 or 4 teams are. It's about what benefits the powers that be the most.
There was just no way the SEC champion was going to be left out this year when the teams left competing were undefeated Georgia and 11-1 Alabama. Perhaps FSU would have gotten in had been an 11-1 Ole Miss team that beat Georgia, but I'm not sure about that. As others have pointed out, FSU was overrated and struggling to win a terrible ACC even with a healthy Travis. His injury just gave the committee a convenient excuse to do what they were going to do anyway if Georgia lost.

If fans of other conferences are upset now at "conference bias," just wait until next year when the SEC and Big 10 get at least 3 teams in, with one maybe even getting 4. The ACC might only get a second team in if the favored team loses and the underdog wins (snagging an automatic bid). The ACC blows and FSU knows it. Before the season they chirped about wanting uneven revenue sharing and even looked into securing funding to cover the $120 buyout to get out of the conference.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
You're not far off but there is an easier explanation.

The committee simply ranks the teams each week on whatever criteria they choose and as long as a team keeps winning then nobody complains and their ranking is justified. Plus, all the committee has to do, to any naysayers, is to say, "just let the games play out and it'll prove itself out."

And then, when in the last week, when everything hasn't righted itself or proven itself out, THEN they actually have to argue amongst themselves, use data, cuss & discuss, talk about the "eye test", etc in order to come up with an accurate order of 6 teams that can be justified by the written standards.
And IMO, their latest order/ranking makes sense to me.
With 1 exception...UGA is one of the best 4 teams in the Nation and should, at least, be ranked 5 with Noles at 6.

So if there's any ruse going on, it's that they tried hard to keep 2 SEC teams out of it.
And if there's any validity to your point of them being capricious until they finally fall to the almighty dollar, it's proven by allowing TX into the mix over UGA.

Because the "4 best teams" are UGA, Bama, Wash & Mich.
But per their criteria (ie Conf. Champs, SOS, and availability of players...they nailed the final 4.
This...except substitute Texas for Washington. UW is about to be curb stomped.

Should have been Gay or Bama and either of Texas or Michigan.

If we are talking about the best four in order.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This...except substitute Texas for Washington. UW is about to be curb stomped.

Should have been Gay or Bama and either of Texas or Michigan.

If we are talking about the best four in order.
I hear ya but think Wash will beat TX head to head. Wash has a semblance of a defense. TX, not so much.
(Edit: I haven't looked at any stats and am simply spitballing here)

(Double edit: I just ck'd and Wash D ain't in the top 50 while TX d is 23rd so, yeah, I'm wrong on this and now think TX beats Wash.)

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I hear ya but think Wash will beat TX head to head. Wash has a semblance of a defense. TX, not so much.
(Edit: I haven't looked at any stats and am simply spitballing here)
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What gets missed in all this discussion is that someone was going to pissed. For all the “unprecedented” talk, when was the last time a 1 loss SEC Champion team was left out of the playoff? Answer is never. In fact, it hasn’t even happened in the BCS since 2004 Auburn who was undefeated and no dance. So if they go with the noles instead and a 12-1 Ala team that just beat the #1 two time defending national champs had been left out, you don’t think Tubberville or the other politicians in that state had a valid complaint? Someone had to be fifth. This is such a dumb look for him, which has kind of become the norm.
This statement seems like a simple ploy to win over some voters since there are several people up and arms over this, and Trump even weighed in as a way to take a jab at Desantis. No one will even care after uga beats them by 4 or 5 TDs.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Desantis has lost his mind!!!!!

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
This assumes he had one to lose.
Well we almost had a homoerotic methhead who passed out naked in his hotel so...yeah. or maybe you wanted gillum.

The terrifying thought of what gillum would have done to us during covid aside...this is incredible STUPID by de santis, there was no reason to get invovled in this.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I really hate you guys for making me do this. I have to bathe in bleach after this post.

The committe has had FSU in the top 4 every week, until now. How does them winning a conference title all of a sudden make it clear to them they're no longer a top 4 team?
Just admit you are a clown and smell like elephant **** and cotton candy.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lol

Great Governor, but I think he’s getting out over his skis on this issue…

IMG_2201.jpeg

…er, over his boots maybe.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I may have missed this already being posted, and if so it can be merged or deleted. But, this is the best thing I've seen in a while. The comments about Bowden are perfect and I wish everyone knew the history here. Make sure to watch the whole thing.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
Throwing records out the window, based on what you saw on the field/your TV, do you think FSU is one of the top 4 teams in the country?
Personally, I watched them play against Clemson, Louisville, and UF. I was not impressed.
Based on what I have seen of FSU, they're not even one of the top 25 teams. I don't think Alabama is in the top 4 either. They weren't even a top 10 caliber team after that Auburn game.

But none of that matters, because in real sports, championships are earned objectively. That's the only legitimate way to do it. Every team has equal opportunity and it doesn't matter who is the best by opinion. You either complete the objectives set in front of you or you fail, and you have nobody to blame but yourself. Some champions are crowned that never got any respect throughout the year until at the end when they were the ones hoisting the title.

College football is only objective when it comes to crowning a conference champion. That's legit. But, when it comes to crowning a National Champion the sport loses all objectivity and becomes nothing but a beauty contest. It's all fake and artificial bullcorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator