Notre Dame has no business in the playoff

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't say they are that close to the national title. The games still have to be played, and I prefer to have them played on the field, not on paper, crazy I know :lol:

I can see arguments for 6 or 8 teams, I wouldn't have a problem with either one. From before this change I was never really a proponent of a 4 team playoff, wanted it to be 6 to 8 from the get go.

I'm not going to nit pick over single year outliers like UCF. And let's face it, even in this scenario, who really thinks UCF would survive the gauntlet of a 3 game playoff series. I don't. UF blew their shot to be in the top 8 when they lost to a poor mizzou team and now have 3 L's.

My overlying point is, I just don't buy the argument that adding one more game to the playoff system is going to greatly weaken the regular season. A regular season that typically sees major teams playing upwards of 3 non conference cupcakes a year. Those games are meaningless!

I agree it would have no real effect on the regular season. I would say in most seasons, there isn't 6/8 teams worthy of playing for the National Title. Changing from 4 to 6/8 because one team gets left out (this year OSU) isn't a reason to expand. Too much also ran football being played.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree it would have no real effect on the regular season. I would say in most seasons, there isn't 6/8 teams worthy of playing for the National Title. Changing from 4 to 6/8 because one team gets left out (this year OSU) isn't a reason to expand. Too much also ran football being played.
I just prefer more of it to be played on the field, not subjectively on paper.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just prefer more of it to be played on the field, not subjectively on paper.

I think the first real step would be that every team that is available should be in a conference with a championship game. ND should quit dicking around and join the Big East. This would be the first round of the playoffs.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

I disagree, if only just. I could see it being an 8 team, only because it could account for your Boise State teams back in the day and the UCFs of the world now. They, like the subject of this thread are probably pretenders, but you get the chance for that Cinderella story that it really isn't fair to give them in a four team playoff.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree, if only just. I could see it being an 8 team, only because it could account for your Boise State teams back in the day and the UCFs of the world now. They, like the subject of this thread are probably pretenders, but you get the chance for that Cinderella story that it really isn't fair to give them in a four team playoff.

Does a Cinderella deserve a shot if like UCF team now their resume is garbage? I know people love the Cinderella story, but this is about do they deserve a spot if they play a schedule that is more than 50 in the strength in schedule (which has happened once in this current system Washington 2 years ago 55th).

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All time wins by current division 1 teams
Seriously? All-time wins? I'm sure Yale or Harvard belong in there. We could have a separate debate division.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does a Cinderella deserve a shot if like UCF team now their resume is garbage? I know people love the Cinderella story, but this is about do they deserve a spot if they play a schedule that is more than 50 in the strength in schedule (which has happened once in this current system Washington 2 years ago 55th).
Would the polls be different though IF they were taking into account an 8 team playoff all along? Because of the subjectiveness, I'd suspect it would. UCF is 8 right now, but the pollsters also know that 8 isn't going to get into the existing playoff system.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Does a Cinderella deserve a shot if like UCF team now their resume is garbage? I know people love the Cinderella story, but this is about do they deserve a spot if they play a schedule that is less than 50 in the strength in schedule (which has happened once in this current system Washington 2 years ago 55th).

If it was me doing it I think you give preference (maybe not an automatic bid, but virtually so - maybe require them to be in top 10 in polling for the bid) to the five conference champions and have three at large spots. It would need to be a points system based on record and strength of schedule. You can always argue about those next three would be but you'd be guaranteed that you'd have at least four teams that earned a shot in most years one to two more that could create intrigue.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Would the polls be different though IF they were taking into account an 8 team playoff all along? Because of the subjectiveness, I'd suspect it would. UCF is 8 right now, but the pollsters also know that 8 isn't going to get into the existing playoff system.

that's it, but then do we have a 3 loss team in the playoffs in it's place.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
that's it, but then do we have a 3 loss team in the playoffs in it's place.
maybe, maybe not. UF does have 3 L's, but are ranked where they are because of their wins and overall strength of schedule. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if we were bumped back as well. I think when you bump back to 6 to 8 teams, SOS because a larger part of the argument.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If it was me doing it I think you give preference (maybe not an automatic bid, but virtually so - maybe require them to be in top 10 in polling for the bid) to the five conference champions and have three at large spots. It would need to be a points system based on record and strength of schedule. You can always argue about those next three would be but you'd be guaranteed that you'd have at least four teams that earned a shot in most years one to two more that could create intrigue.

But if you have four teams that have earned a spot, why worry about the other 4. And do all 5 conference champions deserve a spot. Washington doesn't. If playoffs job is to get the best teams in the tournament. Why would you allow any team with the SOS greater than 50, and any team with more than 2 losses (exception being a year like 2007). Add quantity instead of quality, will put a lot of games on TV that people aren't going to watch, which then lowers the TV revenue (which we know is the driving force behind this).

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
But if you have four teams that have earned a spot, why worry about the other 4. And do all 5 conference champions deserve a spot. Washington doesn't. If playoffs job is to get the best teams in the tournament. Why would you allow any team with the SOS less than 50, and any team with more than 2 losses (exception being a year like 2007). Add quantity instead of quality, will put a lot of games on TV that people aren't going to watch, which then lowers the TV revenue (which we know is the driving force behind this).

You don't know what will and won't be quality until you put the teams on the field. I think that is kind of the advantage of this system over the BCS system and what I believe would be the benefit of the 8 team system over the 4. Is OU better than OSU? Who the hell knows - and we won't get that answer this year. They are a one loss conference champion with a better SOS than OU but they are going to be left out. Below is the data from this year. ND is going with a SOS 26 is going over one loss OSU whose SOS 11. That's nutty.

So if we did 8 teams and did the way I suggested your playoff would probably look like this

Alabama, Clemson, OU, OSU and Washington in as conference champions in ranked in the top 10.

The next three are pretty clear too. Georgia, Michigan and ND. In this scenario ND would be considered a bubble team because of their SOS - which is still top 30. Georgia played the toughest schedule and Meatchicken's was top 10. The team with the most losses is Washington which got an auto bid. You don't think you can find four fun football games among those?

Alabama vs. Washington
Clemson vs Michigan
ND vs OSU
Oklahoma vs Georgia

Is there any one of those games you wouldn't want to watch?

Under the system I purpose UCF still doesn't get to go to the dance this year because, while they are undefeated their resume doesn't warrant it. It would encourage some of this non-power 5 schools that want to be Cinderella to get quality opponents on the schedule, and drop the non-FBS competition entirely from their schedule.

Rankings.JPG SOS.JPG

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You don't know what will and won't be quality until you put the teams on the field. I think that is kind of the advantage of this system over the BCS system and what I believe would be the benefit of the 8 team system over the 4. Is OU better than OSU? Who the hell knows - and we won't get that answer this year. They are a one loss conference champion with a better SOS than OU but they are going to be left out. Below is the data from this year. ND is going with a SOS 26 is going over one loss OSU whose SOS 11. That's nutty.

So if we did 8 teams and did the way I suggested your playoff would probably look like this

Alabama, Clemson, OU, OSU and Washington in as conference champions in ranked in the top 10.

The next three are pretty clear too. Georgia, Michigan and ND. In this scenario ND would be considered a bubble team because of their SOS - which is still top 30. Georgia played the toughest schedule and Meatchicken's was top 10. The team with the most losses is Washington which got an auto bid. You don't think you can find four fun football games among those?

Alabama vs. Washington
Clemson vs Michigan
ND vs OSU
Oklahoma vs Georgia

Is there any one of those games you wouldn't want to watch?

Under the system I purpose UCF still doesn't get to go to the dance this year because, while they are undefeated their resume doesn't warrant it. It would encourage some of this non-power 5 schools that want to be Cinderella to get quality opponents on the schedule, and drop the non-FBS competition entirely from their schedule.

So you are saying that a 2 loss Michigan and UGA and a 3 loss Washington (22nd rank) deserves a shot at the National Title... If UGA deserved a shot they would have won the SEC Championship game. If Michigan deserved a shot they would have beaten OSU and ND. You are adding teams for the sake of adding teams. That is allowing mediocrity to join in the conversation. The results of games should matter. The first round of the playoffs for UGA was Saturday night, and they dropped the ball.

Bama vs Washington - not worth watching a average Washington teams (3 loss) getting so anally brutalized, T will be there with his VHS recorder.
Clemson vs Michigan - would have good ratings, but game would be over quickly, Michigan couldn't handle OSU speed, imagine Clemson's
OSU vs ND - OSU would crush ND
Oklahoma vs UGA - this is the only really good game you would be adding

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
So keep the Navy game. We play a full SEC schedule, a couple cupcakes and FSU. They could axe the USC or UM game; or join the Big 10 or Pac12

ND keeps USC and Stanford on the schedule because they've been playing those games for decades and it also allows them inroads into CA recruiting--particularly among CA Catholic prep schools, which are some of the best in the country (De La Salle and Mater Dei to name but two routinely produce 5* talent and both regularly send guys to ND). If we had those types of connections, I wouldn't give them up; why do you expect them to?

Their Big 10 rivalries go back even further and while the Midwest isn't quite the recruiting hotspot it once was: since many ND alums stay in the Midwest, they can't exactly get rid of those games either.

They built their reputation on being a national brand and taking on teams from all conferences. Last year, they played UGAy down to the wire and were highly ranked before having a brain fart against scUM; and while their schedule wasn't as impressive this year, it's hardly anything to scoff at: 3 top 25 wins and one of them being against a top 10 Michigan. That's more than Clemson can say, for instance.

You don't have to like them, but they deserve to be there.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
First. ND sucks and rarely deserves anything but that's the beauty of college football - it ain't perfect.
Second. I hate playoffs. I don't really give a shyt who wins the NC if it ain't UF and I question the loyalty of any Gator fan that feels otherwise. I want the shortest path to the NC game for us and it use to be winning the SEC all but guaranteed a spot in the NC. But then millenials and participation trophy children and men who sit down to pee started whining and we got a 4 team play-off. Ok, so be it. If that will shut you homos up. But noooo, we still have sniveling fans who no doubt breast fed into grade school that want an 8-team playoff. Well no, you can't have it.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Threat has a little sand in his vagina it appears. :heehee:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online