Recruiting NSD 2022

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Having a difficult time processing these results. Even with Kelly’s negative press and Cristobal lacking a full staff on NSD, they still out-performed CBN. My two thoughts:

1) Napier’s message doesn’t translate well to the FBS level, or
2) NIL
I don't believe it's either of these.
What you are seeing is the anchor that Mullen dug in and how much harder it is for Napier to get it freed up than some of these other places. Don't underestimate how much Mullen fuched this place up.

Having said that, everything from here on out is all Napier. He has an uphill battle no doubt.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Having a difficult time processing these results. Even with Kelly’s negative press and Cristobal lacking a full staff on NSD, they still out-performed CBN. My two thoughts:

2) NIL

3) Or jumping to conclusions based on a ridiculously small sampling is perhaps a bit hasty?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

2) NIL
The other 3 were also viewed as "big name" hires, whereas we had headlines looking more like, "Who is Billy Napier? Introducing UF's new HC." No clue if that actually was a factor, but I'm a pumper, so...

Edit: NIL is probably another factor.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
3) Or jumping to conclusions based on a ridiculously small sampling is perhaps a bit hasty?
... Although I look forward to the day we can jump to positive conclusions based on a ridiculously small sampling size. [note sampling size means data ... not my brother's cousins uncles ex-wifes butlers adopted daughter says .. ]

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

2) NIL

It could be that but also this was a different animal this year with ESD and NIL. Location of the recruits he had left to work with also played a factor. Lincoln Riley did nothing but raid Oklahoma recruits/transfers, Kelly was able to convince a few big targets to stay home and the difference between us and Miami may be the stars on 1 or 2 players.

If it’s like this next year we are in big trouble

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Perhaps, but I think in a relative comparison we are probably more akin to Miami, in terms of branding and the level of drop off in production. I could argue we are still more attractive than UM, so I’m a bit surprised Miami’s class ranked higher, however slightly.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
He hasn't had a whole lot of time to develop relationships with these kids. Plus I think he's finding 5* kids to be quite a bit different from the 3*s he's used to dealing with in the Sun Belt.

I think its going to be a learning year for him. I hope for an 8 win season and a top 10 class next year though.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
It could be that but also this was a different animal this year with ESD and NIL. Location of the recruits he had left to work with also played a factor. Lincoln Riley did nothing but raid Oklahoma recruits/transfers, Kelly was able to convince a few big targets to stay home and the difference between us and Miami may be the stars on 1 or 2 players.

If it’s like this next year we are in big trouble
Exactly. And next year will be the most telling.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of this hire, and I would have still supported this hire even if I knew how NSD would shake out, but I’m beginning to think NIL is becoming a huge factor.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of this hire, and I would have still supported this hire even if I knew how NSD would shake out, but I’m beginning to think NIL is becoming a huge factor.
Next you'll tell us that you're starting to think icebergs may have become a huge factor to the Titanic.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

NIL will be THE factor in two years... maybe even this coming ESD. The HBCs could change the entire dynamics with corporate backing. Also ... podunk U with a few wealthy benefactors. It's a lot cheaper to buy 5 All-stars than it is to build a stadium or new dorms.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Perhaps, but I think in a relative comparison we are probably more akin to Miami, in terms of branding and the level of drop off in production. I could argue we are still more attractive than UM, so I’m a bit surprised Miami’s class ranked higher, however slightly.

It could just be that Citizen (and many, many others) is an example of what we can expect in the era of no holds barred, pay for play CFB. Also, the fact that scUM has a depth of experience in buying players that would make a Turkish sailor blush might come into play as well.

OurProgramIsBroken

Oct 29, 2017
He hasn't had a whole lot of time to develop relationships with these kids. Plus I think he's finding 5* kids to be quite a bit different from the 3*s he's used to dealing with in the Sun Belt.

I think its going to be a learning year for him. I hope for an 8 win season and a top 10 class next year though.
I think 8 wins, is a stretch

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Agreed... he better have a fitted jacket by then or there will be pandemonium!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

2) NIL

It starting point more than anything else. How quickly we forget we were listed as one of the big winners on ESD. Teams rarely have monster days on both. Even uga was quiet Wednesday after a banner December. Just the way it is. Initial expectations were that we climb from the 70s to maybe 30s-40s range. We ended just outside the Top 20(or inside depending on service). I don’t count transfers personally in that number. Napier had a great first two months on the job. But comparing him to Lsu or even USC isn’t fair. They were in better position. The best comparison would be um and our classes are very similar. Both schools made major turnarounds.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Well, at least no one, and I mean no one, seems to be talking about FSU... even our local paper put them down as a "loser" on NSD given where cornrows needs to be.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Next you'll tell us that you're starting to think icebergs may have become a huge factor to the Titanic.
Well sure. That’s a good analogy. But you should also consider there were watchmen on the Titanic that were supposed to be watching for icebergs(NIL), and a captain(coach/admin) who basically ignored warnings and said “full speed ahead.” So yeah, I like your comparison.

Back to my original post. Compared to other schools, especially UM, I thought we should have done better. Maybe it’s the slow read on CBN’s message, or we missed something with NIL.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Nice thread. You go from dissing me for observing that this isn't a great class, to an intense discussion of why this isn't a great class with no sense of irony. I guess the scintillating discussion of fashion that intervened allowed you to clear your minds. It’s hard to believe that this is the site where the bright Gator fans post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.