O&B Performance Breakdown by NFL Films Matt Hamilton

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
https://florida.n.rivals.com/news/ask-the-expert-members-o-b-debut-q-a-with-matt-hamilton

Q:Please break down the running ability of Mark Thompson, seems like he can be an okay SEC running back, but not elite. He has the size, but something is missing compared to Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb, Jalen Hurd and the other elite backs of the SEC. Initial burst through the hole and elite change of direction maybe?

A: You hit the nail right on the head. Thompson lacks that initial acceleration and burst. Once he gets going and builds up a head of steam, he has pretty good top end speed and he’s difficult to bring down in the open field. Overall, if he can’t improve his quickness to the hole, we are going to see a lot more of what we saw on Friday: a bunch of minimal gain runs with the occasional big play sprinkled in.
-----------
Q:
Looking at Luke Del Rio, what does he do better than the Florida quarterbacks who started last year, what are his weaknesses compared to them?

A: Del Rio’s performance mentally impressed me the most on Friday. He sees the field better than what I remember seeing from Treon Harris or Will Grier. His ability to read a defense, anticipate, and get the ball out on time is outstanding. He also seems to have a great sense of when to try to extend a play, and when to get rid of the ball and live to play another down. He doesn’t seem to be as mobile as the other two, but moves well enough. He was accurate and displayed excellent patience, allowing his routes to develop. I think the biggest questions I have left are his arm strength and his ability to stick in the pocket and deliver the ball when he knows he’s about to take a hit.
-----------
Q:
Why does Fred Johnson continue to struggle in pass pro? How hard is this to correct? We know the coaches are high on his potential

A: Johnson is a bit slow-footed and lacks elite lateral mobility. That can be improved marginally, but that is who he is as an athlete. He will struggle with quicker pass rushers. His strength is in the run game where he can use his power and toughness to overwhelm defenders. I’m sure the coaches love the tenacity he plays with and I would assume he’s a hard worker, but his ceiling in pass protection is limited because of his feet.
-----------
Q:
What can the offensive line do better in pass protection, especially the tackles? What techniques do they need to improve upon or employ more when facing pressure off the edge?

A: I thought David Sharpe looked exceptional. His feet were quick, he used his hands well, and I think he’ll hold up well against pretty much anyone. As discussed above, Johnson will have issues with quicker pass rushers. The Gators can benefit from a combination of chipping to help him, keeping a tight end in on some plays (although Lewis struggled the few times they tried this), and from utilizing some bootlegs and moving the pocket.
-----------
Q: Jarrad Davis
looked like his normal dominate self during the spring game, but how would you grade David Reese and Kylan Johnson. Both did well playing sideline to sideline as well as shooting the gaps and making plays in the backfield. Then Matt Rolinand Daniel McMillian, do u see any development from last year?

A: I was really impressed with both Reese and Johnson. I see Reese developing into Davis’ potential replacement. He is a tough, strong, downhill linebacker and a solid fundamental tackler. I think Johnson can be a star if he continues to develop mentally with the transition from safety. He reminds me of Zavier Gooden, who made the same switch when I was at Missouri, although I think he has even a little more upside. He is a superb athlete for the position, has good instincts, and most importantly, he trusts them and sticks his nose in without hesitation. He can be a huge asset in coverage as well. I thought Rolin had some tough moments. He was a little hesitant when it came to taking on blocks and didn’t take great angles.
-----------
Q:
In a follow up on the above issues, how does our linebacker group look at this time? If you have the further opinion, do we look okay for the coming season if we retain our health?

A: I think the linebacker group looks very strong, surprisingly so, especially given the injuries. I think Davis is a strong player, and as I discussed, I think Johnson can be a star. Throw Anzalone, McMillan, and Reese into that group and I think it is a very strong and deep position group.
-----------
Q:
Please rank the running backs and explain the ranking.

A: These would be my rankings for where these backs are right now based solely off of what I saw Friday:

1) Jordan Cronkrite

2) Jordan Scarlett

3) Mark Herndon

4) Mark Thompson

I think Cronkrite is slightly ahead of Scarlett because he was hitting the hole quicker. Both backs have good vision, but Scarlett seemed a bit hesitant and wasn’t playing at his top speed. Herndon impressed with his speed and quickness, but he missed a few holes. I think Thompson would possibly benefit from shedding a few pounds, as he is just lacking that initial burst and quickness right now.
-----------
Q:
We are known as DBU but our depth doesn't quite constitute that, please break down the orange secondary? How does Chauncey Gardner and Marcell Harris grade out in coverage? What is the potential/strengths and weakness of Chris Williamson andMcArthur Burnett? Lack of next level talent or knowledge of scheme or both?

A: Before I get into the Orange secondary, I just want to say that I think the top three corners (Jalen Tabor, Quincy Wilson & Duke Dawson) can match up against any team’s. I think all three have next level potential. As for the others, I think Williamson is the next in line. He impressed me with his speed and physicality. I think the others’ mistakes came mostly out of youth and inexperience. There were players out of position on a bunch of the big plays the Blue were able to make. I think there is talent there and Williamson is pretty much ready, but the others just need some time to develop mentally.
-----------
Q:
With 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter on a completion to tight end C'yontai Lewis does Del Rio get sacked on the delayed safety blitz in a real game? Who's responsibility was it to block the safety?

A: I think Del Rio would have still had a solid chance to get that off in an actual game, but he would’ve taken a hit for sure. The safety was Mark Thompson’s responsibility. There was a playfake to the left, where everyone was accounted for, so Thompson should have scanned back to the right before releasing. Thompson did appear to be looking at the delayed blitzer, but released anyway. It was a tricky blitz though and that’s something that should come with experience.
-----------
Matt Hamilton was a former student assistant for the quarterbacks at Missouri, coach at the high school level in Connecticut, intern scout for the Detroit Lions and currently works at NFL Films breaking down film for use on the show Playbook on NFL Network.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting stuff. Ranking Thompson as the 4th best back is surprising, but if he's right, then I think that means we have a pretty solid backfield.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
1. He lacks that initial burst like a Henry? Has Wheeler watched Henry? He has that same problem. It takes him time to get going. As to the so-called expert, Henry had plenty of great runs and it takes him forever to get going. In college it is about vision, rather than burst. There has been plenty of great college backs that didn't have good burst.

2. I agree with everything he said about LDR. I have fewer questions about his arm strength being this is college and not the NFL.

3. Hamilton and I are watching 2 different tapes. I think the opposite when it comes to Fred Johnson. I think he'll be very good in pass pro this year while struggling in the run game because of his lack of power.

4. Lewis struggled blocking? :bwahaha: That's being generous. His best block was due to him falling down in front of the DE.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I actually agree with him on Thompson although IMO he would be the third back not behind Herndon.

Thompson is just to slow...you can say well Henry was slow also but Henry had Alabama blocking to help him out; Thompson won't likely get going by the time he makes first contact...Cronk would be my number 1 followed by Scarlett

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
With our line and backs, I think running the ball is going to be a problem this year... Especially if they keep putting the ball on the ground...

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
With our line and backs, I think running the ball is going to be a problem this year... Especially if they keep putting the ball on the ground...

Cronk looked good; he was just in for a few carries...I think he will be fine. We never did see Scarlett behind the 1st team line.

I'm not sold on Thompson.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how he can say #25 Scarlett's ahead of #24 Thompson based on what he saw in the O&B game. Thompson was playing vs the 2s and Scarlett was playing vs the 1s, so you can't really make a comparison from that game, IMO. Scarlett did not look good at all since the #1 D was crushing the #2 Oline; Thompson had like 40+ yards on 5 or so carries. Scarlett may very well be the #2 RB right now, but I just can't see how anyone could make that determination based on the O&B game.

I agree with his assessment of #14 Williamson - the kid was in on a lot of plays (some really nice tackles, one of Scarlett) and will likely be a starting CB in 2017 after Tabor bolts for the NFL.

My other observations from the O&B game:
  • Other than #28 Kylan Johnson, who looked great, I thought these other guys on the Blue Team did some good things: #17 Sheritt (seemed to be in on a lot of plays), #85 Thompson (good block on Warton's first catch), #13 McMillian (looks a little light, but he's fast - at first I was trying to figure out who that Safety was until I realized it was DM).
  • For the Orange Team, these guys stuck out: #92 Zuniga, #42 Smith, #21 Burnett (some good, some bad).
  • These guys stuck out because of poor performance: #97 Reed, #26 Harris
  • And guys I saw that got hurt: #95 Davis (but I saw him out there again later) an #54 Clark

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Burnett was repeatedly burned. Marcell Harris plays like he has no arms.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Derrick Henry is a freight train, and takes the same amount of time as one to reach top speed.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Him questioning Del Rio's arm strength some reminded me that it stuck out how Del Rio mostly threw the ball flat footed and never seemed to lean into his throws much. I guess that is his natural way to throw but I hope that isn't an issue under pressure in SEC games.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
O
Him questioning Del Rio's arm strength some reminded me that it stuck out how Del Rio mostly threw the ball flat footed and never seemed to lean into his throws much. I guess that is his natural way to throw but I hope that isn't an issue under pressure in SEC games.

One pass was incomplete and it was a throwaway....JFC

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
1. He lacks that initial burst like a Henry? Has Wheeler watched Henry? He has that same problem. It takes him time to get going. As to the so-called expert, Henry had plenty of great runs and it takes him forever to get going. In college it is about vision, rather than burst. There has been plenty of great college backs that didn't have good burst.

Henry actually has very good initial burst as shown here in this ESPN segment.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I wonder how much the careers of Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and Mark Ingram are hurting running backs draft status from Alabama. All were supposed to be great backs, you have two guys who have been just "alright" and a guy who is on his 3rd team in 4 years.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I wonder how much the careers of Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, and Mark Ingram are hurting running backs draft status from Alabama. All were supposed to be great backs, you have two guys who have been just "alright" and a guy who is on his 3rd team in 4 years.

I guess it's a bit easier to look like a great RB when SEC officials aren't allowed to flag your OL for holding more than once per half.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Sorry, but his tape says different and that involves actually being on the field rather than in a lab or at a combine. As one scout said, "Tall, long-strider who takes time to build up his speed." Scout after scout says the same thing and his tape confirms it. On tape, Elliot hits the hole much, much faster than Henry. He hits top speed quicker. However, their 10 and 20 were almost the same at the combine. The combine often lies and lies well.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well....were not exactly RBU lately...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
https://florida.n.rivals.com/news/ask-the-expert-members-o-b-debut-q-a-with-matt-hamilton

Q:Please break down the running ability of Mark Thompson, seems like he can be an okay SEC running back, but not elite. He has the size, but something is missing compared to Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb, Jalen Hurd and the other elite backs of the SEC. Initial burst through the hole and elite change of direction maybe?

A: You hit the nail right on the head. Thompson lacks that initial acceleration and burst. Once he gets going and builds up a head of steam, he has pretty good top end speed and he’s difficult to bring down in the open field. Overall, if he can’t improve his quickness to the hole, we are going to see a lot more of what we saw on Friday: a bunch of minimal gain runs with the occasional big play sprinkled in.
-----------
Q:
Looking at Luke Del Rio, what does he do better than the Florida quarterbacks who started last year, what are his weaknesses compared to them?

A: Del Rio’s performance mentally impressed me the most on Friday. He sees the field better than what I remember seeing from Treon Harris or Will Grier. His ability to read a defense, anticipate, and get the ball out on time is outstanding. He also seems to have a great sense of when to try to extend a play, and when to get rid of the ball and live to play another down. He doesn’t seem to be as mobile as the other two, but moves well enough. He was accurate and displayed excellent patience, allowing his routes to develop. I think the biggest questions I have left are his arm strength and his ability to stick in the pocket and deliver the ball when he knows he’s about to take a hit.
-----------
Q:
Why does Fred Johnson continue to struggle in pass pro? How hard is this to correct? We know the coaches are high on his potential

A: Johnson is a bit slow-footed and lacks elite lateral mobility. That can be improved marginally, but that is who he is as an athlete. He will struggle with quicker pass rushers. His strength is in the run game where he can use his power and toughness to overwhelm defenders. I’m sure the coaches love the tenacity he plays with and I would assume he’s a hard worker, but his ceiling in pass protection is limited because of his feet.
-----------
Q:
What can the offensive line do better in pass protection, especially the tackles? What techniques do they need to improve upon or employ more when facing pressure off the edge?

A: I thought David Sharpe looked exceptional. His feet were quick, he used his hands well, and I think he’ll hold up well against pretty much anyone. As discussed above, Johnson will have issues with quicker pass rushers. The Gators can benefit from a combination of chipping to help him, keeping a tight end in on some plays (although Lewis struggled the few times they tried this), and from utilizing some bootlegs and moving the pocket.
-----------
Q: Jarrad Davis
looked like his normal dominate self during the spring game, but how would you grade David Reese and Kylan Johnson. Both did well playing sideline to sideline as well as shooting the gaps and making plays in the backfield. Then Matt Rolinand Daniel McMillian, do u see any development from last year?

A: I was really impressed with both Reese and Johnson. I see Reese developing into Davis’ potential replacement. He is a tough, strong, downhill linebacker and a solid fundamental tackler. I think Johnson can be a star if he continues to develop mentally with the transition from safety. He reminds me of Zavier Gooden, who made the same switch when I was at Missouri, although I think he has even a little more upside. He is a superb athlete for the position, has good instincts, and most importantly, he trusts them and sticks his nose in without hesitation. He can be a huge asset in coverage as well. I thought Rolin had some tough moments. He was a little hesitant when it came to taking on blocks and didn’t take great angles.
-----------
Q:
In a follow up on the above issues, how does our linebacker group look at this time? If you have the further opinion, do we look okay for the coming season if we retain our health?

A: I think the linebacker group looks very strong, surprisingly so, especially given the injuries. I think Davis is a strong player, and as I discussed, I think Johnson can be a star. Throw Anzalone, McMillan, and Reese into that group and I think it is a very strong and deep position group.
-----------
Q:
Please rank the running backs and explain the ranking.

A: These would be my rankings for where these backs are right now based solely off of what I saw Friday:

1) Jordan Cronkrite

2) Jordan Scarlett

3) Mark Herndon

4) Mark Thompson

I think Cronkrite is slightly ahead of Scarlett because he was hitting the hole quicker. Both backs have good vision, but Scarlett seemed a bit hesitant and wasn’t playing at his top speed. Herndon impressed with his speed and quickness, but he missed a few holes. I think Thompson would possibly benefit from shedding a few pounds, as he is just lacking that initial burst and quickness right now.
-----------
Q:
We are known as DBU but our depth doesn't quite constitute that, please break down the orange secondary? How does Chauncey Gardner and Marcell Harris grade out in coverage? What is the potential/strengths and weakness of Chris Williamson andMcArthur Burnett? Lack of next level talent or knowledge of scheme or both?

A: Before I get into the Orange secondary, I just want to say that I think the top three corners (Jalen Tabor, Quincy Wilson & Duke Dawson) can match up against any team’s. I think all three have next level potential. As for the others, I think Williamson is the next in line. He impressed me with his speed and physicality. I think the others’ mistakes came mostly out of youth and inexperience. There were players out of position on a bunch of the big plays the Blue were able to make. I think there is talent there and Williamson is pretty much ready, but the others just need some time to develop mentally.
-----------
Q:
With 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter on a completion to tight end C'yontai Lewis does Del Rio get sacked on the delayed safety blitz in a real game? Who's responsibility was it to block the safety?

A: I think Del Rio would have still had a solid chance to get that off in an actual game, but he would’ve taken a hit for sure. The safety was Mark Thompson’s responsibility. There was a playfake to the left, where everyone was accounted for, so Thompson should have scanned back to the right before releasing. Thompson did appear to be looking at the delayed blitzer, but released anyway. It was a tricky blitz though and that’s something that should come with experience.
-----------
Matt Hamilton was a former student assistant for the quarterbacks at Missouri, coach at the high school level in Connecticut, intern scout for the Detroit Lions and currently works at NFL Films breaking down film for use on the show Playbook on NFL Network.

Thanks for sharing!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I guess it's a bit easier to look like a great RB when SEC officials aren't allowed to flag your OL for holding more than once per half.
Once per half? I've seen one holding flag in the last 9 years!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Will Duncecap-Foley: All I heard was them saying he has the size of a linebacker. Imagine what could have been.

os-photo-will-muschamp-georgia-loss.jpg

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Watch the games, Henry has no burst. It was really noticeable against top teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator