O&B Performance Breakdown by NFL Films Matt Hamilton

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Watch the games, Henry has no burst. It was really noticeable against top teams.
I agree with you. He may be "fast" as in the fastest to 20 yards but straight line soeed isnt everything. Demps was like that, superfast in a straight line. Thats important for outrunnig a safety but shiftiness is more important when hitting the hole.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you. He may be "fast" as in the fastest to 20 yards but straight line soeed isnt everything. Demps was like that, superfast in a straight line. Thats important for outrunnig a safety but shiftiness is more important when hitting the hole.

:racist:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Watch the games, Henry has no burst. It was really noticeable against top teams.

I don't disagree. I was really surprised when I saw this segment on ESPN, but it does show that he has more burst than we thought. I also agree that it is one thing to do it from a stand still in a lab vs. on a field when you have to move laterally then switch to strait line speed right away.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I also that is was funny that he didnt answer despite being asked directly about Marcel Harris' "coverage skills".

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And that has to do with my comment how?
Just saying our backs or anyone else's don't seem to have the same measurables or stats for that matter as the guys coming out of Bama so I don't think it hurts their draft status.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't disagree. I was really surprised when I saw this segment on ESPN, but it does show that he has more burst than we thought. I also agree that it is one thing to do it from a stand still in a lab vs. on a field when you have to move laterally then switch to strait line speed right away.
It goes both ways. A long strider who is as explosive as Henry can hit a seam and be through the hole and into the second level faster than a guy with quicker shorter steps but can't move sideways or jump cut to get into a hole like a guy with quick choppy feet. The bigger, longer striding back can however inflict punishment once into the second level and typically pushes the pile for extra yardage in turn creating better down and distance situations and more first downs. The effects of the bigger, fast and long striding back is that they make a defense pucker up and become susceptible to being burned deep like Bama has done the last 2 years with Henry. Rewatch the 2014 and 2015 Bama and UF games, Kiffen used a hammer as a decoy to burn us often.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just saying our backs or anyone else's don't seem to have the same measurables or stats for that matter as the guys coming out of Bama so I don't think it hurts their draft status.....

Not about measurable as much as game tape. You get a bunch of guys who are producing at a great pace, then enter the NFL and have issues producing as high as their draft status. It's like when we flooded the NFL with receivers, then Anthony, Green, McGriff, etc.. became also-rans. Scouts and Teams start to devalue guys coming out of that system, because they have seen system guys who flamed out in the NFL. UF receivers started to get downgraded coming out of Spurrier's system regardless of athletic ability. Seems Alabama running backs are starting to get the same treatment.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concerning Thompson, he could end up being a great 3rd down back. He'll need to polish his pass protection though. Since LDR can actually hit someone in stride, think about Thompson catching the ball with momentum.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It goes both ways. A long strider who is as explosive as Henry can hit a seam and be through the hole and into the second level faster than a guy with quicker shorter steps but can't move sideways or jump cut to get into a hole like a guy with quick choppy feet. The bigger, longer striding back can however inflict punishment once into the second level and typically pushes the pile for extra yardage in turn creating better down and distance situations and more first downs. The effects of the bigger, fast and long striding back is that they make a defense pucker up and become susceptible to being burned deep like Bama has done the last 2 years with Henry. Rewatch the 2014 and 2015 Bama and UF games, Kiffen used a hammer as a decoy to burn us often.
None of this even makes sense. Henry is a long strider, and he has no "quick sidestepping, jump cutting ability." That's the problem. He's straight line speed only and it takes him 4 steps to get up to speed as well. Conversely guys with shorter quicker steps typically DO have those cutting abilities, it's a natural capability based off their physique.

It's times like this that remind us that half the time you post. You have not one freaking shred of a clue wtf you're talking about :lol2:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It goes both ways. A long strider who is as explosive as Henry can hit a seam and be through the hole and into the second level faster than a guy with quicker shorter steps but can't move sideways or jump cut to get into a hole like a guy with quick choppy feet.

Henry reminds me of Eddie George in his last 2 years with the titans. Eddie still had his 4.4 speed, but it took him too long to get there. The hole closed by the time he got going. I saw the same thing with MJD and his final 2 years here in Jax.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Soooo, Henry was long-striding all those years through those rows of tires ?
meaning he can short-stride if he doesn't see daylight. Could it be that he sees a
thin tackling line, has confidence he can slam through to daylight, so goes for that
instead of short-stepping it ?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
None of this even makes sense. Henry is a long strider, and he has no "quick sidestepping, jump cutting ability."
That's what I said.....Henry is a long strider who is more of a straight liner. He does his damage when he has room to get going. I think you are somewhat misled about his quickness though, I think his long legs make him appear slower than he really is. He's been clocked as fast as the 4.3's in the 40....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's what I said.....Henry is a long strider who is more of a straight liner. He does his damage when he has room to get going. I think you are somewhat misled about his quickness though, I think his long legs make him appear slower than he really is. He's been clocked as fast as the 4.3's in the 40....
None is debating his top end speed, but it doesn't help him hit the hole because he needs at least ten yards to get to that speed.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concerning Thompson, he could end up being a great 3rd down back. He'll need to polish his pass protection though. Since LDR can actually hit someone in stride, think about Thompson catching the ball with momentum.

He does seem to have good hands. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not, but the fumble in the scrimmage and in the spring game were runs
inside the 10. Maybe he focuses so much on the goal line ball security becomes an issue. It could just be coincidence though. Regardless I don't want him
carrying the football until he gets better holding onto it. It's worth nothing that for all the grief KT got over the years he NEVER fumbled in over
500 carries.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
None is debating his top end speed, but it doesn't help him hit the hole because he needs at least ten yards to get to that speed.
He's surely more effective as a hammer than a chisel, and I'm not trying to state that he will have success in the NFL. In CFB a guy like him is a huge advantage if they're running behind a decent line, especially in a pro style offense. Remember how many long passes Bama threw against us in the 2014 game? Our safety's and LBer's got caught with their eye's in the backfield. Same thing when we played LSU this year, our safety's and generally our whole defense was watching Fornette so hard they let the second worst QB in the conference throw bombs over their heads....

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Getting back to Thompson. I like him. Even though he is 240, he doesn't strike me as a bulldozer. Also, he is still learning. Remember Matt Jones early in his freshman year? He looked like he lacked burst, but that was due to inexperience. Give him time. I'm worried about the ball security. If a guy does it too much it can get in his head. At the end of the day, Cronk is my favorite. He looks faster than Thompson and is a more physical runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.