O&B Performance Breakdown by NFL Films Matt Hamilton

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Getting back to Thompson. I like him. Even though he is 240, he doesn't strike me as a bulldozer. Also, he is still learning. Remember Matt Jones early in his freshman year? He looked like he lacked burst, but that was due to inexperience. Give him time. I'm worried about the ball security. If a guy does it too much it can get in his head. At the end of the day, Cronk is my favorite. He looks faster than Thompson and is a more physical runner.

Also have to remember that Thompson is transitioning from WR according to the O&B broadcast. It is a different kind of stride and start up explosion needed for the two positions.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also have to remember that Thompson is transitioning from WR according to the O&B broadcast. It is a different kind of stride and start up explosion needed for the two positions.
Yeah, but that was in HS - pretty sure he was just a RB in JUCO.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not about measurable as much as game tape. You get a bunch of guys who are producing at a great pace, then enter the NFL and have issues producing as high as their draft status. It's like when we flooded the NFL with receivers, then Anthony, Green, McGriff, etc.. became also-rans. Scouts and Teams start to devalue guys coming out of that system, because they have seen system guys who flamed out in the NFL. UF receivers started to get downgraded coming out of Spurrier's system regardless of athletic ability. Seems Alabama running backs are starting to get the same treatment.

Yeldon and Lacy are having pretty good careers. Better than any Spurrier receiver.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think Scarlett is going to make some big plays for us this year....I think Cronk is going to be our best all around back and I hope Thompson puts some nails in opponents coffins....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yeldon and Lacy are having pretty good careers. Better than any Spurrier receiver.
Lacy totally ran over the Redskins and Cardinals in the playoffs last year. I also think the era of dominate RB's that the franchise is built around is a thing of the past....The college game is still as much about punishing running attacks that set up the pass as the other way around mainly because IMO the physical mismatches are easier to exploit in college.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He does seem to have good hands. I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence or not, but the fumble in the scrimmage and in the spring game were runs
inside the 10. Maybe he focuses so much on the goal line ball security becomes an issue. It could just be coincidence though. Regardless I don't want him
carrying the football until he gets better holding onto it. It's worth nothing that for all the grief KT got over the years he NEVER fumbled in over
500 carries.
Pretty sure that statistically speaking this is correct. However I am also pretty sure KT fumbled on more than one occasion but we ended up with the ball because it was fumbled out of bounds or another gator recovered. Love KT but he wasn't perfect.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lacy totally ran over the Redskins and Cardinals in the playoffs last year. I also think the era of dominate RB's that the franchise is built around is a thing of the past....The college game is still as much about punishing running attacks that set up the pass as the other way around mainly because IMO the physical mismatches are easier to exploit in college.
Lord, I really don't try to disagree with everything Crete says, but good grief man. Lacy played like absolute trash all year, was benched or 2nd string for most of it, was in trouble with the coaches for half the season for being fat and lazy. And as far as the playoff games, he was serviceable against the skins. He was embarrassing against the cardinals. Your entire post was based off one run late in the game where he spun off a few guys and then had daylight to run to. He then lumbered like a fullback with a bum knee for about 25 yards, ran out of gas, damn near collapsed on the 20 yard line from exhaustion, then got tackled. Any other player on the team would have scored in that situation. He was benched after the play bc the coaches were pissed. Christ man even the announcers were talking about what a fat lazy tard he'd become. He was given an ultimatum after that game by the staff to shape up or he'd be cut.

Your love affair with fat slow Alabama running backs is disturbing.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Your love affair with fat slow Alabama running backs is disturbing.
I guess I'm envious of all the titles the slow fat guys are helping them win....I don't watch a ton of NFL games but Lacy's stats look typical of most starting RB's around the league. He rushes for about 700-800 yards a season at over 4 yards per carry.I'd love for Thompson's 2 years here to be like Lacy's last 2 years with Bama.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Lacy has some great games and some games where is about as effective as you are on the NFL football field. He can't stay on the field due to health and/or weight.

Yeldon had a decent rookie year, and was the teams leading rusher at 741 yards.

As far as better career than a Gator receiver when they hit the 11 years Ike Hillard was in the league... or his production (which wasn't great) then we can have that conversation. So far the closest would be Mark Ingram who has had some decent but not specular time in NO.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I'm envious of all the titles the slow fat guys are helping them win....I don't watch a ton of NFL games but Lacy's stats look typical of most starting RB's around the league. He rushes for about 700-800 yards a season at over 4 yards per carry.I'd love for Thompson's 2 years here to be like Lacy's last 2 years with Bama.

Lacy has been decent (3 years 3,075 yards) for a guy who supposed to be a #1 guy in a dynamic offense. But year three was a hard year for him, with his issues. Unlike Ingram or Richardson he wasn't a 1st round pick, which gives him more leeway.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree about Hilliard, he was pretty decent throughout his entire career.

Just think what he could have been like if he didn't have the devastating neck injury in year 1 or 2.... He was starting to come on, but then got derailed for a bit.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
As Dougie already stated, he has a bit over 3k yards in 3 years, most of those yards came in year 1 and 2, before he became a fat lardass. I do watch a lot of NFL, and Green Bay is my team, and he sucked balls last year. James Starks, the #2 guy was a better player last year. And he's small, thin, shifty and quick.

Also, 800 a season which is 16 games works out to 50 yards a game. And that's if the playoff games, which GB has been deep in the last few years, aren't included. 50 yards a game is now a quality NFL back?

Why do you make definitive statements about things you admittedly don't have much knowledge of?

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Lacy has been decent (3 years 3,075 yards) for a guy who supposed to be a #1 guy in a dynamic offense. But year three was a hard year for him, with his issues. Unlike Ingram or Richardson he wasn't a 1st round pick, which gives him more leeway.
It would be interesting to see how well Bama's offensive linemen have panned out in the NFL over the last 6-7 years seeing how they were largely responsible for these guys success in college. Still just to be an average RB in the NFL these days is saying something. I hope UF starts a string of producing even average NFL backs over the next decade as well as NFL caliber offensive linemen.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It would be interesting to see how well Bama's offensive linemen have panned out in the NFL over the last 6-7 years seeing how they were largely responsible for these guys success in college.

Don't have the time to look that up this morning, but I believe they have had a couple of first rounders the last few years. Most have been middle round guys if I remember correctly.

Still just to be an average RB in the NFL these days is saying something.

Average compared what they were expected to do, due to college production is the point. These guys came out expecting to be much more than average, similar to how the receivers who came out of Spurrier's system. Players then start to get downgraded because of the system they were producing in.

I hope UF starts a string of producing even average NFL backs over the next decade as well as NFL caliber offensive linemen.

Taylor might be an average back or a good situational guy. Matt Jones has a home it appears. So the ground work in that department might already have started, as far as OL, a number of guys are in the league lets see if they do more than just be in the league.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As Dougie already stated, he has a bit over 3k yards in 3 years, most of those yards came in year 1 and 2, before he became a fat lardass. I do watch a lot of NFL, and Green Bay is my team, and he sucked balls last year. James Starks, the #2 guy was a better player last year. And he's small, thin, shifty and quick.

Also, 800 a season which is 16 games works out to 50 yards a game. And that's if the playoff games, which GB has been deep in the last few years, aren't included. 50 yards a game is now a quality NFL back?

Why do you make definitive statements about things you admittedly don't have much knowledge of?

I drafted Lacy first round on my fantasy team because he did so well the year before. I can confirm that he sucked donkey balls last year and if he doesn't have a good year this year, his NFL career will be over.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

I'm just using the fact that if a guy makes it to the NFL he was probably pretty good in college. I root for the Packers whenever they play but I'm not a diehard fan of any NFL team. From what I've seen of Lacy he's had a decent career but was off last year. Maybe he had a nagging injury that caused him to be off last year or maybe he's just a fat lazy slob....only time will tell but I wouldn't kick him to the curb because a lot of NFL players have off years and come back strong.

Why do I make definitive statements about things I admittedly know nothing about?.........I never really thought about it coming off as definitive, just trying to keep the discussion going more than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.