O' Sullivan to USC?

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing been spoken about here in Gville on the sports radio. It would be very odd, after the contract raise and plans for significant facility upgrades. Then again, he is going through a divorce, has some young kids maybe wants to cut bait out of Gainesville
I don't get comments like this. IF was never a powerhouse in baseball before he arrived and since getting here we've went to the ws almost every year and had top 5 recruiting classes. It's not him swinging the bats at the end of the season it's the players. I believe he's one of the top 10 coaches in college baseball and we won't get anyone better to replace him
Yes, he is a great recruiter. But he has been consistantly outcoached at the series. Good managing would have probably won us two series. If your ultimate goal is getting to the series then we should hire Mike Martin.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Look, I am not the biggest Sully fan as a baseball coach, especially when it comes to fundamentals and in game managing, but he does have a great record. But look at it from his perspective. The product he puts on the field is well above average and you look into the stands and we can't draw flies. It is embarrassing. Look at this coming weekend. We are hosting a super regional and I guarantee it will not be a sell out. And you will hear the excuses that it is Wake Forest and nobody has heard of them. Well they happen to be a good team, but it is the supers for heaven's sake, and it should be SRO regardless of opponent. We don;t draw flies unless it is FSU or scrotUM for a super regional. So why wouldn't Sully entertain going to a place where they sell out and he can get the same or more money?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Look, I am not the biggest Sully fan as a baseball coach, especially when it comes to fundamentals and in game managing, but he does have a great record. But look at it from his perspective. The product he puts on the field is well above average and you look into the stands and we can't draw flies. It is embarrassing. Look at this coming weekend. We are hosting a super regional and I guarantee it will not be a sell out. And you will hear the excuses that it is Wake Forest and nobody has heard of them. Well they happen to be a good team, but it is the supers for heaven's sake, and it should be SRO regardless of opponent. We don;t draw flies unless it is FSU or scrotUM for a super regional. So why wouldn't Sully entertain going to a place where they sell out and he can get the same or more money?
it would only be about the money, or the perceived opportunity to win championships (though he certainly has that here). Most stadiums even in the majors don't come close to selling out anymore, many are lucky to sell half their seats.
If he is leaving, it ain't because of the number of people in the stands...most coaches could care less about that.

Honestly, I think he just does this as a business move. If schools are calling, why not play it up and see if it continues to get you another payday. Only thing is, eventually it's going to cause him to have to take one of these other jobs...only so many times you can go back to the well.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I thought college baseball drew flies about everywhere except for the college world series. They actually get crowds before the playoffs at other places?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We can banter back and forth about why he would or would not leave but the reality is that the Florida job is a better job than USC. For starters because the USC job is in South Carolina.
If Sully leaves for that job then he lacks the gray matter necessary to continue to develop into an elite college coach and is probably better off there.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
We can banter back and forth about why he would or would not leave but the reality is that the Florida job is a better job than USC. For starters because the USC job is in South Carolina.
If Sully leaves for that job then he lacks the gray matter necessary to continue to develop into an elite college coach and is probably better off there.
That's just crazy talk. I am sure all the citizens of South Carolina share your opinion and all long for the day that could live in Florida....

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014

whoa, whoa slow down there chief. I agree columbia is awful but SC is an awesome state otherwise. The upstate, where I live, and the coast are sensational.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Yes, he is a great recruiter. But he has been consistantly outcoached at the series. Good managing would have probably won us two series. If your ultimate goal is getting to the series then we should hire Mike Martin.
I played baseball my whole life Ox I don't believe you can be out coached. Baseball is a game of you're either hitting or your not. If you have every batter get 2 hits a piece your most likely going to win the game. That's why I don't see how you can blame the coach for the batters going cold at the plate. Now I'll agree it's on the coach to make changes if players are not performing but there is not much strategy to the game. It's not like basketball where you draw up a play to out smart the other team, you know what's going to happen the pitcher is going throw the ball the goal is to get a hit so in reality besides pitching there isn't many ways you can be out coached

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
There could be a personal reason here as others have stated. It might be a ploy to get more money, or it could be that being in one place for a long time is boring. Now the timing it very inappropriate, during the playoffs everyone needs to be focused on a potential NC, nothing else.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I played baseball my whole life Ox I don't believe you can be out coached. Baseball is a game of you're either hitting or your not. If you have every batter get 2 hits a piece your most likely going to win the game. That's why I don't see how you can blame the coach for the batters going cold at the plate. Now I'll agree it's on the coach to make changes if players are not performing but there is not much strategy to the game. It's not like basketball where you draw up a play to out smart the other team, you know what's going to happen the pitcher is going throw the ball the goal is to get a hit so in reality besides pitching there isn't many ways you can be out coached

That is probably what makes it look bad for him because baseball is the sport where its claimed the coaches don't have much to do with winning but bad coaching will make talented teams underachieve especially in playoff situations. Now watch him win it all this season since no one expects UF to be in play to win it all this season.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
:wellbye:

The notion that Sully is a GREAT recruiter is a joke. Sully recruits Great pitchers and below average hitters. Yeah, y'all are right he can't swing the bat's for them but he could start by recruiting guys that have power and can score runs. He recruits good baseball players that can't hit worth a lick. He puts every game on the pitching staff to win.

Give me that coach from BCC and I'll consider it a win.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We should waive any buyout clauses with this guy (or Butters).

It could save us 80 plus million of football profit which could actually be invested in football.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
If his little bambino is really going back to SC with his mom and he has a chance to coach a great program and still be close to his kid I can't blame him, under these circumstances this opportunity is a god send.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's just crazy talk. I am sure all the citizens of South Carolina share your opinion and all long for the day that could live in Florida....

They may not but I bet you their children do. I have spent a lot of time in South Carolina and while I agree that it is not a bad place, it is not Florida either.
I am sure that every one in Florida dreams of moving to South Carolina. The next one I meet will be the first one.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:wellbye:

The notion that Sully is a GREAT recruiter is a joke. Sully recruits Great pitchers and below average hitters. Yeah, y'all are right he can't swing the bat's for them but he could start by recruiting guys that have power and can score runs. He recruits good baseball players that can't hit worth a lick. He puts every game on the pitching staff to win.

Give me that coach from BCC and I'll consider it a win.

I cannot argue with anything you said here especially about the coach from BCC. I just hope he gave Sully his a$$ back before he left gainesville

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Before everyone piles on me here, let me say that I don't think Sully is a bad coach. In fact, I think he is developing into a very good one. The key word is developing.
He has completely turned the tables on FSU and UM but he still needs to learn how to win when the bright lights are on which I believe he will. I just cannot fathom leaving Gainesville Florida and the best talent in the country and going to Cola to then recruit kids in Florida but that is just me.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Good luck, Sully :weep:

:lol: anybody that thinks this is good news is truly clueless.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Before everyone piles on me here, let me say that I don't think Sully is a bad coach.
I don't care. I just don't want us wasting 10 million dollars on a program that is a bottomless pit of losing money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator