***OFFICIAL BOWL GAME THREAD: UF vs Virginia***

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
That aint Florida Cracker swamp cabbage and looks like something a yankee would order in the damn villages.
My understanding is that the term "swamp cabbage" is ordinarily reserved for the cooked, soup like dish. Not sure that I have found it in a restaurant. I believe that the above would likely be called "heart of palm salad". I believe that coach said that was from the Cedar Key Hotel restaurant. If other ole timers are on the board, they could check me on this, but that restaurant may have featured other iconic Florida dishes.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
That aint Florida Cracker swamp cabbage and looks like something a yankee would order in the damn villages.
Fodderwing, you obviously never ventured much further than Cross Creek or Orange Lake. That bizarre looking salad was ALL the rage in Cedar Key back before the yankees discovered that little fishen village on the Gulf. The white chunks in the middle was the raw swamp cabbage. People drove from all over to eat that stuff............Back in the mid 70s you had to have that with your lunch if you were over there. Really odd stuff with sherbert, dates, swamp cabbage , maybe a little pnut butter and pineapple............My first MIL could actually make it.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
My understanding is that the term "swamp cabbage" is ordinarily reserved for the cooked, soup like dish. Not sure that I have found it in a restaurant. I believe that the above would likely be called "heart of palm salad". I believe that coach said that was from the Cedar Key Hotel restaurant. If other ole timers are on the board, they could check me on this, but that restaurant may have featured other iconic Florida dishes.

Heart of palm salad was never an option at the greasy spoon in Horseshoe Beach to go along with the AYCE fried mullet specials we used to eat on our pig hunting excursions in Dixie county.

i had swamp cabbage for Thanksgiving, the stewed version that us native Crackers revere.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Heart of palm salad was never an option at the greasy spoon in Horseshoe Beach to go along with the AYCE fried mullet specials we used to eat on our pig hunting excursions in Dixie county.

i had swamp cabbage for Thanksgiving, the stewed version that us native Crackers revere.
Good for you. I haven't had it in years. I assume that it wasn't in a restaurant? Did you buy the cabbage palm or did someone in the group cut the palms?
P. S. I think a lot of old time Floridians automatically think "fried mullet" when you say "fish and grits".

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
The Catfish Festival is in Crescent City the first weekend in April. Along with catfish dinners, frog legs and strawberry shortcake, they also serve swamp cabbage. It does take a lot of work out in the woods to get enough to cook and sell. It cooks down so it takes a lot.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Good for you. I haven't had it in years. I assume that it wasn't in a restaurant? Did you buy the cabbage palm or did someone in the group cut the palms?

The in (out) laws on my wife's side serve swamp cabbage at all family functions that involve cooking. They cut it from the hammocks in Sumter, Lake and Polk counties.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
There was an old guy we called dragline Charlie that used to come to a lot of our hog roasts and he made swamp cabbage every time. Cooked it for hours and hours and it was ok but I never really took a likin to it.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Used to drive over to CK just for the Heart of Palm salad. Had lime sherbet and peanut butter dressing. Really good. Now you have wait for a hurricane's to knock down cabbage palms to get the makings. Florida outlawed harvesting healthy trees.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Used to drive over to CK just for the Heart of Palm salad. Had lime sherbet and peanut butter dressing. Really good. Now you have wait for a hurricane's to knock down cabbage palms to get the makings. Florida outlawed harvesting healthy trees.

illegal on gubmint land, not private land.

Florida Statute 15.031, dated 2010, but with historical origins in the 1953 statutes 1, 2, chapter 28126, proclaim the sabal palmetto palm as the state tree but does not limit its use or management. Therefore, wild palms continue to be dug up and harvested by landscapers for transplanting in residential and public landscapes. In the eyes of the state, you can cut down the state tree on your own legally owned property. However, county, municipal or homeowners association laws can still prohibit cutting down the palm.

You really think the state is gonna tell the folks that grow pine timber they can't get rid of the palms that compete with the cash crop?

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
It is more likely that Gator fans living here in Virginia, will out number UVA fans going to the game from Virginia. It appears that the 62-17 beat down by Dabo's boys has dampened enthusiasm.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

magnum1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.