Gator Basketball ***Official Game Thread BBALL*** Florida at Tennessee

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think payne is going to transfer as well, although I hope he doesn't. I don't think he's going to make it in the NBA at all. Not skilled and doesn't seem to have a high basketball iq or even a high motor.

Reminds me of maureice speights with half the talent.

I don’t see him in The NBA. Bigs now extend to the 3 point line in many cases now. Range is highly valued. I do see him playing professionally though. Kevarious Hayes is overseas and he had some of the same offensive limitations. Of course he had an extreme motor.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
365.jpg

Sorry but you look like you could be @Zambo s momma's boyfriend

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
The funny thing is we get big time players that alot of teams want but then when they don't measure up, it's the kids fault. Payne goes to some other school instead of Florida and then it's "White can't land the big fish". I'll speculate and say that if Payne is at UK, Duke or UNC...hell even UVA he is much more productive overall. Yes, I'm done with White, he is mediocre as a coach....Ron Zook like. Recruit but can't coach up a team for shyt.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The funny thing is we get big time players that alot of teams want but then when they don't measure up, it's the kids fault. Payne goes to some other school instead of Florida and then it's "White can't land the big fish". I'll speculate and say that if Payne is at UK, Duke or UNC...hell even UVA he is much more productive overall. Yes, I'm done with White, he is mediocre as a coach....Ron Zook like. Recruit but can't coach up a team for shyt.

I think you give MW too much credit for recruiting. I think we have a player assessment issue. It didn’t take but a game or two last year to see how underdeveloped Lewis and Payne were for this level coming out of high school. They were athletic but extremely raw. Mann was a little different. You could see his skills right away but he seemed to have an attitude issue when he didn’t step in as a starter right away. But by the end of the season you could see him really adjusting.
Yeah but I do agree....all players play better under better coaches. These 3 would have benefited playing for elite coaches. But we tend to lose recruiting battles to those guys so I suspect there is a reason they are playing here....not there.

Mann was a Gainesville native or I doubt he would have come here.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Billy would have made Omar into a stud.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I don’t see him in The NBA. Bigs now extend to the 3 point line in many cases now. Range is highly valued. I do see him playing professionally though. Kevarious Hayes is overseas and he had some of the same offensive limitations. Of course he had an extreme motor.
I have been actually thinking Castleton should work more on his outside shooting to give himself a better shot at getting to the NBA. He has a good looking stroke on his FT's so I think he could develop into a decent 3 point shooter if he was set and squared up. Like the way Horford developed a 3 pt shot after he was already in the NBA. It's pretty much expected of Bigs in today's game. It could actually help us quite a bit too because when he comes out for the pick he could step outside the line and if he was a threat to hit the 3 they couldn't all collapse to the paint. It's too late for this year (he's taken a few 3 but I don't think he has hit any) but he should work on it in the off season.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I have been actually thinking Castleton should work more on his outside shooting to give himself a better shot at getting to the NBA. He has a good looking stroke on his FT's so I think he could develop into a decent 3 point shooter if he was set and squared up. Like the way Horford developed a 3 pt shot after he was already in the NBA. It's pretty much expected of Bigs in today's game. It could actually help us quite a bit too because when he comes out for the pick he could step outside the line and if he was a threat to hit the 3 they couldn't all collapse to the paint. It's too late for this year (he's taken a few 3 but I don't think he has hit any) but he should work on it in the off season.

Castleton seems to be continuing to improve. I agree....I could see him developing some range.

I don’t know how much credit MW gets for any improvement or if this kid is just a hard worker. I think Payne could do the same. Will he?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Agreed
Everyone thought White had signed the class that was going to return UF to the place where he found it. I still questioned his ability to develop these players but clearly he had the talent.

Two years later and obviously we were all wrong.

We/I were Wrong on several fronts. These were not Kentucky one and done types who would already be tearing up the NBA. I could not have been more excited until the first couple of games and it was completely obvious they were not ready. Good news is Mann would dominate as a Junior and Payne and Lewis should contribute as Juniors.

I think the real difference of opinion here is some strongly feel these guys stepped on campus with elite skills and talent and would have been All-SEC at Ky or Duke right away. I think they came to UF with the promise of immediate playing time.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Dang it. You got me on that one.

Lol......All I am saying is some responsibility must be given to the player. I think nearly everyone agrees that there are more elite coaches out there.

I was a coach for many years. I developed some players and helped improve their game and had a hand in making them fundamentally sound. I had other players who did not show much improvement after a couple of years in the program and were fundamentally weak. I gave both groups my best effort and taught them in a similar manner. Sometimes it was about finding the right way to reach a player mentally until they got it. Sometimes it was simply on the player. There has to be some “want to”.

The tourney would be a great time to really step up. I’m rooting for the coach and the team to do so.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
i just knew we got a monster with him............. :sad:

I did too. Him and Casey had me really excited as both were highly rated and Walker had some serous hops and athleticism.

Walker washed out and Hill took some time to become a contributor.

Sometimes it’s a poor assessment by staff....sometimes it simply on the player.

I keep saying it and I will once more....I think we could soon see increased production and consistency out of these guys. I like them. I just quickly observed how raw they were and realized it would take some time to adjust to this level.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Why do you suppose Nembhard transferred?

MW.

Better opportunity, better fit, better system and better coach at Gonzaga. But He also started here from day one. You could see his talent and skill as an incoming freshman but was stuck in a slow tempo system. He and Lewis are relatively the same size but there was a remarkable difference in skill and fundamentals as freshman. Ball handling, passing, court awareness, etc. Literally no comparison.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White conjures up devaluing questions. In 6 years name one player that White has developed into much improved? Are there any that have grown worse under White? Isn't Mike White lopsidedly dedicated toward too much outside shooting? Do his teams show dogged. never-say-die dedication to an "inside attack" like most all our opponents do? Sorry, I'm just tired of it all, saturated with "going-nowhere" frustration.

I still love our Gators and will watch every game possible. I'll feel glad at seeing stellar individual effort, like freshman Payne's 19 points against Auburn.?? Did Auburn allow that from other freshmen around the league? Oh whoa is me & my woes.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
MW.

Better opportunity, better fit, better system and better coach at Gonzaga. But He also started here from day one. You could see his talent and skill as an incoming freshman but was stuck in a slow tempo system. He and Lewis are relatively the same size but there was a remarkable difference in skill and fundamentals as freshman. Ball handling, passing, court awareness, etc. Literally no comparison.
So if you are a 4-5 star guy and ready to hit the court and play the game that's actually being played today all around the country, don't come to UF. On the other hand, if you are that 4-5 star guy that maybe needs some further development in your game the come to UF and hang around for 4-5 years waiting for that to happen?

I mean, my point here is that you say sometimes it's on the player and that is true to a point but when it's damn near every player other than those ready to play from day one, it's the coach and the coach alone. I think you have pointed to this by saying that he transferred due to MW but Nembhard pretty much said he wanted to go to a better program to continue improving his game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator