***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: Florida vs FAU***

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gators are wearing the White jerseys on white pants with the orange helmets this week. First time we have worn white jerseys at home since 2001.

So we have a home game against an inferior opponent at 7:30pm yet Dan feels the need to get an advantage with the heat by wearing white?

Gee, I sure hope FAU's fans don't make too much noise.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So we have a home game against an inferior opponent at 7:30pm yet Dan feels the need to get an advantage with the heat by wearing white?

Gee, I sure hope FAU's fans don't make too much noise.
Those FAU guys don’t know how to deal with this Florida heat and humidity.

Oh wait…

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’d like to see our OL run block effectively against this over-matched team. We haven’t been able to move anyone off the ball for years. Not even against Charleston Southern.

I’d like to see Emory look crisp & Richardson to look ready.

I’d like to see us NOT give up a big play early, but that seems inevitable given Grantham and the youth at safety.

Perry isn’t great, but will we give him a career night even in a loss or will FAU look like F$U under Taggart? Our DL should eat them up.

I’d like to see Dexter blow up some plays. Id like to see Bowman have a big run even in mop-up duty.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d like to see our OL run block effectively against this over-matched team. We haven’t been able to move anyone off the ball for years. Not even against Charleston Southern.

running blocking was fine when Emory was on the field. I think we averaged six or seven yards per plays.

for the millionth time, the problem was Mullins calling option runs with Trash on the field, period.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
running blocking was fine when Emory was on the field. I think we averaged six or seven yards per plays.

for the millionth time, the problem was Mullins calling option runs with Trash on the field, period.
Hope your right Donk. What gets me is if the line was as bad last year as people are saying, then how the hell did the Gators have time to be an elite passing team? The answer is Trask had time to throw the ball.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Trask and Franks… I agree. As long as Emory or Richardson can freeze the DE lanes will open better. Your diagnosis on the futility of an optionless option is well established.

But when we had short yardage we couldn’t get good push. I’d like to see us winning more physical battles.

Related note… reading and thinking about the OL…I recall that during the @ Arkansas game in 2008 an OL change occurred, maybe due to an injury. I think it was Carl Johnson that went to G and once that happened the OL really gelled. Not sure I’m getting the details right, but Rainey & Demps both went over 100yds.

I’m curious how this group will shake out. Is Kingsley the center we need? If so that really helps.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Hope your right Donk. What gets me is if the line was as bad last year as people are saying, then how the hell did the Gators have time to be an elite passing team? The answer is Trask had time to throw the ball.

Pass blocking was good to very good. It’s the run blocking, and while Donk is right about the scheme issue with a passer NOT being a running threat, the OL hasn’t been very solid at run blocking going back through the Butters era. They are definitely better coached by Hevesy, but I’m looking for that to improve.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
.But when we had short yardage we couldn’t get good push. I’d like to see us winning more physical battles.
Also, just a "spread" offense symptom.

In 2010 when Saban and Creyer were the guest commentators in the NCG, Saban spoke about this. His exact comment was something like "spread them out is fine but what do you do in the redzone." Creyer responded that is when you switch to single wing, which of course requires you to have a power running QB.

They talked about it last night re Heupel at UCF last night too. Plenty of yards but not good in the redzone.

The spread just doesnt work in the redzone unless you are far far faster than them and can doninate their DBs with your WR blocking.

FWIW, SOS struggled with power running too. Our running game then was a draw game.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Also, just a "spread" offense symptom.

In 2010 when Saban and Creyer were the guest commentators in the NCG, Saban spoke about this. His exact comment was something like "spread them out is fine but what do you do in the redzone." Creyer responded that is when you switch to single wing, which of course requires you to have a power running QB.

They talked about it last night re Heupel at UCF last night too. Plenty of yards but not good in the redzone.

The spread just doesnt work in the redzone unless you are far far faster than them and can doninate their DBs with your WR blocking.

FWIW, SOS struggled with power running too. Our running game then was a draw game.
Dang Donk when your sober you make sense.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
He had decent time but he also made quick decisions.

Trask had little time. He made excellent pre-snap reads and got rid of the ball quick. He also had great timing with his receivers. He threw to a spot rather than throwing to a man.

None of these things has EJ done so far. But in fairness I never saw Trask do them until he played real minutes so there's hope.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EJ over 100 yards rushing tonight? Bowman to break off a few long runs? Which WRs break out tonight? Any standouts at all on D tonight?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
What ever happened to having a Billy Latsko type of player. Seems like Bama uses a fullback at times.

Not sure if you have noticed, but UF is not Bama. a guy like Chris Leak made a Latsko type very useful. Not Cousin Eddie's style. Cousin Eddie likes his FB types to be his actual QB and he believes he can teach them to pass a bit. Those were his words from the past. Bama in the past 8 or so years using more route combos than the high school team who runs simple pee wee offenses like Cousin Eddie. You know the 5 wide, everyone do a 5 yard button hook. The Ed Zaunbrecher special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.