***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs. Georgia***

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It makes no sense to not onside kick there. We're not worried about field position, all they're doing is running out the clock. So we squib kick it 30 yards downfield where there's no chance of recovering it rather than 10 yards. Even if they get the onside kick, you still have the one shot to stop them with a three-and-out. It was an insane decision.

Also, the squib kick ran off another 8 or so seconds and gave them solid field position. If you're not going to on-sides kick it, why not kick it out of the end zone? It gives them the ball at the 25 and no time gets run off the clock. Absolutely terrible coaching decision, completely unprepared.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
So we squib kick it 30 yards

While this play may have been one of the least impactful mistakes by the coaches, it was probably the single dumbest. It is the worst choice of three options, and usually the one used by a team trying to run out the clock, not preserve time. It ensures a useless clock running play while giving us no chance to get the ball and giving up field position at the same time. It is just moronic.

Last edited:

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
In my mind, success and failure always ultimately falls on the head coach.

With that said, the reason the Gators lost is this: they could not run the ball for two or three yards when they needed it. Which is pathetic.

If they could have mixed their passes with short runs that gained ANYTHING, they could have kept more drives going, scored more points, and kept the ball away from Georgia. And they only lost by 7 points. It would have made the difference.

Georgia only scored 24 points. I don't put it on the defense.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019

With that said, the reason the Gators lost is this: they could not run the ball for two or three yards when they needed it. Which is pathetic.

If they could have mixed their passes with short runs that gained ANYTHING, they could have kept more drives going, scored more points, and kept the ball away from Georgia. And they only lost by 7 points. It would have made the difference.

Totally agree until your last line....”only” 24? 24 is not good lol...if you give up 24 a game you won’t even finish .500 unless you have the best offense in the nation to offset.....I was pleased with the run defense but 3rd down/pass defense was awful...they had guys open all day and kudos to Fromm for knowing where to go with the ball

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
We needed an almost perfect game, and no bad calls from the ref. We got neither.

Once again our front seven was inconsistent, especially in the pass rush. Little to no running game of any kind except near the end when it did not matter much.

Two (maybe one) very bad calls not reversed as they might have been.

No Toney at wildcat, nor much of him at all, might be the D took him out.

We need to refocus on winning all our remaining games and getting a good bowl opportunity.

They did not quit, but the D could not stop them and GA did not give us the game as they did with South Carolina.

The D was pretty good against the run, only giving up like 120 yards. I'm sure UGA was averaging well over 200 yards a game. So that was a good effort, especially with how long they were on the field. The lack of pass rush you referenced was very disappointing, we've only manage to sack Fromm 1 time in three years and just hurried him 5 times in that same span. No wonder he seems to always look like Aaron Rodgers against us. I'll be glad to see Fromm go and Grantham too. Hopefully they both opt for the NFL after the season.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Defense couldn’t get a 3rd down stop at any critical point. Offense could not get out of their own way (literally, when Pitts was blocking for Toney).

if either of those was fixed, Florida had a chance in this game.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
That 3rd and 34 draw play call was ridiculous. Honestly I know why plays like that are called when your backed up inside your own 10. We were at our own 35 or so, why not just chuck one deep on that play? Likely goes incomplete, but at least you have a chance to convert or get a penalty. If int happens, it's essentially a punt. Just one of many mind boggling play calls Mullen made yesterday.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Counterpoint: 12 of 18 on 3rd downs. We could not get them off the field.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Counterpoint: 12 of 18 on 3rd downs. We could get them off the field.
66% 3rd down conversion is atrocious for a defense. You seriously arguing that 6 stops (one of which was the last play of the game) out of 18 is proof that we could stop them?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
66% 3rd down conversion is atrocious for a defense. You seriously arguing that 6 stops (one of which was the last play of the game) out of 18 is proof that we could stop them?

One little friggin word. Post edited. Have you not ready my stuff today?

RaptureVeteran

Banned
BANNED
Jan 26, 2019
I don't put the loss on the defense. I expected Georgia to score some points. The Gators missed too many opportunities on offense. Especially due to their inability to run the ball .

There is just no excuse for Mullen to have these kinds of games, especially coming off a bye week. It's complete garbage. And the issue is that Mullen has been a head coach for a decade now? Kirby or a younger coach? They have an out to have a bad game out of a bye week but Mullen or anyone in the game that long doesn't. And frankly the biggest thing I'm annoyed by is just how brutally average our coaching staff is as a whole, none of them are great recruiters, none of them outside maybe Billy G is actually developing guys at a noticeable pace. And because Mullen is the one that hired all these *******s it's difficult for me to see a situation where Mullen can actually fix the problem he created.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
There is just no excuse for Mullen to have these kinds of games, especially coming off a bye week. It's complete garbage. And the issue is that Mullen has been a head coach for a decade now? Kirby or a younger coach? They have an out to have a bad game out of a bye week but Mullen or anyone in the game that long doesn't. And frankly the biggest thing I'm annoyed by is just how brutally average our coaching staff is as a whole, none of them are great recruiters, none of them outside maybe Billy G is actually developing guys at a noticeable pace. And because Mullen is the one that hired all these *******s it's difficult for me to see a situation where Mullen can actually fix the problem he created.
Uh oh, gonna trigger @ltraz with that second to last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator