Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs McNeese State***

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
When my older sister and I were teenagers, we went to a private high school graduation ceremony, and she commented how big that Cum Laude family must be. We still joke about it 30 years later.
And the Cum Laude kids all happened to be pretty smart folks and close to the same age too I’ll bet…Good genes.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I hope we take some momentum and confidence into next week. Tennessee should be able to match us physically. But this was nonetheless, a decent win vs an over matched team.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I'm happy we won. I'm happy we scored lots of points. I'm happy our defense played well. I'm happy we got lots of PT for the youngsters. Our special teams are still atrocious, abysmal, and awful and will cost us multiple games this season. Billy's play calling is still boring and vanilla. I still think we're going to struggle to make 500 this year.

But wtf....Go Gators. Do your best, learn, improve week to week. That's all anyone can ask at this point.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Clean game thankfully. Still, vs an outmatched opponent I’d like to see ya open up the passing game and gain some rhythms there, but oh well.

Let’s have the same results next Saturday vs Tenn

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Clean game thankfully. Still, vs an outmatched opponent I’d like to see ya open up the passing game and gain some rhythms there, but oh well.

Let’s have the same results next Saturday vs Tenn
Last week you wanted us to get the running game going....... We do that and now you wanted more passing this week..... Me thinks nothing will satisfy you... :scratchhead:

500 yds offense against anybody is praiseworthy.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Last week you wanted us to get the running game going....... We do that and now you wanted more passing this week..... Me thinks nothing will satisfy you... :scratchhead:

500 yds offense against anybody is praiseworthy.

I want balance, plus I think you have me confused with somebody else. I didn’t comment much on the non-existent running game last week :scratchhead:

Being able to manhandle and run all over a high school team doesn’t move the needle for me. Better than not being able to do it though. Do the same thing next week and I’ll be thrilled

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
McNeese put 5 in the box all night with a prevent-style umbrella coverage to take away anything deep, inviting us to run but minimizing big plays. Good workout, no injuries.

I’m glad for the run practice. Putting a lot of plays on tape will give them more coaching points on the OL. Also liked the deep ball to Ricky. But Burke couldn’t get any separation on his. How can he not get separation against McNeese?

Saw Billy crawl Max Brown after a play - maybe the fumble? I assume he missed a read. But I was happy to see Billy show intensity up 49-0.

Heard them announcing jersey switches, sounded almost like they were bragging about it. :lol:

ST still short-bus “special.” Mihalek barely kept extra points in the uprights. More mental errors.

Defense played well against a terrible team, which feels meh until I think of a very bad Samford team gashing us for 52. Perfect on an easy test is better than barely passing. Scooby showed some spark for getting to the QB. Need to give him more opportunities.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We should have played Mcneese first!

Not surprised with the outcome....... Am surprised at the total lack of comments, pro or con.

I watched the OL tonight and they still stand around and look confused on every play. We were just so much bigger than Mcneese. I think we will need several miracles to beat UT!
Everyone was in the chatbox

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Saw Billy crawl Max Brown after a play - maybe the fumble? I assume he missed a read. But I was happy to see Billy show intensity up 49-0.
Haven't seen anyone else mention this. Billy was all over him on the sideline, one of the first times we've seen that.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
McNeese put 5 in the box all night with a prevent-style umbrella coverage to take away anything deep, inviting us to run but minimizing big plays. Good workout, no injuries.

I’m glad for the run practice. Putting a lot of plays on tape will give them more coaching points on the OL. Also liked the deep ball to Ricky. But Burke couldn’t get any separation on his. How can he not get separation against McNeese?

Heard them announcing jersey switches, sounded almost like they were bragging about it. :lol:

ST still short-bus “special.” Mihalek barely kept extra points in the uprights. More mental errors.

Defense played well against a terrible team, which feels meh until I think of a very bad Samford team gashing us for 52. Perfect on an easy test is better than barely passing. Scooby showed some spark for getting to the QB. Need to give him more opportunities.
I was in the stands with my schitty eyes, but didn’t Smack kick at least one of the XPs towards the end?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I felt like discipline was better. Special teams didn't make a jump so I think it is something that will be a theme all year. I'm not a big believer in yardage, especially when the defense is playing well as you're going to have better starting field position. That being said, this is not a good team and nothing I saw changed my opinion of the offense.

1694348798779.png 1694348866484.png

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I felt like discipline was better. Special teams didn't make a jump so I think it is something that will be a theme all year. I'm not a big believer in yardage, especially when the defense is playing well as you're going to have better starting field position. That being said, this is not a good team and nothing I saw changed my opinion of the offense.

View attachment 61662 View attachment 61663
Our shortest drives were 62 yards (2x), one was 99 yards, one 84, the rest in the 70’s… average for 7 drives, about 75 yards.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I was in the stands with my schitty eyes, but didn’t Smack kick at least one of the XPs towards the end?
Yes.

Thus started and ended the Gamechanger performance.

Special teams will cost us a couple of games this year. BN will get roasted for it too (deservingly)

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I still think Billy looks homeless but... Last night was what I think we all asked for. For the first time to me, Billy looked like a competent coach.

The team showed improvement. They played better. Many, many guys got reps. Even Micah Leon! Billy didn't take his foot off the gas. Billy showed emotion!! Like Ox said, he even squeezed in some QB coaching, defense tackled well!! Defense showed hunger, etc.

That's all we asked for. Yes, on some plays a better defense would shut some things down but the experience was valuable for everyone.

If the team plays like that every week, that's a big win for this year.

Some comments from the wife:
why does Billy shave his head like that?
I really like that woman announcer!
Who is McNeese?
I love that he's putting different guys in!
I love seeing Alabama lose!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
All of the things we couldn't do last week were so much better this week. Regardless of the opponent alot was cleaned up with the exception of ST, still a work in progress I guess. If we can play that cleanly against UT we have a shot. Bama lost at home so that's always a reason to be hopeful. If we can show some improvement and be competitive against top SEC teams I think we can hold our class or maybe even improve a bit. The shine should be coming off the turd at Ole Piss and A&M.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, we were on that end in the corner. Except for the last one, smack was a machine and kicked to nearly the same spot every time on kickoff.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Defense is improved, but still has some organizational issues. It's fair to give Armstrong some slack for now, since he's a first time DC and most of his players have never been coached at the collegiate level before (even the seniors).

Actually, Armstrong was the DC at Southern Miss for a couple of years

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You pitch a shutout you are doing something correctly on the defensive side. That fumble was bull**** at our 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.