Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs UGA***

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I truly get the recruiting argument etc., but at some point you have to take ownership of the guys on your team and coach what you have. I am just not sold that Sling Blade will ever be the type of HC that anyone says: "He can beat you with his players or he can take your players and beat you with those as well".

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line, as of right now we’ve hired a really good recruiter. Nothing on the field so far has shown he has what it takes as a game day coach to win. Time will tell, but will need to start with overhauling the coaching staff (and maybe even down to the S&C coach — we look soft as Charmin)

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line, as of right now we’ve hired a really good recruiter. Nothing on the field so far has shown he has what it takes as a game day coach to win. Time will tell, but will need to start with overhauling the coaching staff (and maybe even down to the S&C coach — we look soft as Charmin)
This is ridiculous. Everyone knows it takes 5 years to build a program in this league .Butchie Jones himself laid out the 5 year plan and Billy is following Butchies lead all the way to the bank .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Remember 07. Not saying this is the exact same scenario, but sometimes softness can just be young talent not ready.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Remember 07. Not saying this is the exact same scenario, but sometimes softness can just be young talent not ready.

I Guess If You Say So GIF

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's the same as 07 (on the D) except not as much talent on this team. We are 10-15 lbs light and 1/2 second slow because of inexperience. Add another off season in the weight room, film room and nutrition, and this D will be good.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
We can agree to disagree on a few things. No one is getting bent out of shape. Outcome was known, our process was again subpar. You do not 'learn the ropes" as a HC or an OC or DC. You either have it or you do not. And all those stacked classes or recruits also have to be coached do they not? You are saying that Fred Mertz is constantly under pressure every week b/c we have no talent "only" on the O-Line. That our not 1 but TWO O-Line coaches are doing a great job? Perhaps UGA could wait all day b/c the O-Line is also well coached and they have passing route schemes that cause our "young" but obviously well coached secondary to get confused? I just find it interesting that many of the players we have out recruited some of the same schools who sit at the top of the rankings for, would not have turned at least some of them into more productive players by now.
I don’t disagree with some of your points, especially the hiring of a young DC and the 2 OL coaching disaster. And you would think our secondary would be better with who coaches them.

I just think overall we need more time to accumulate talent and the other things won’t be as problematic as they are now. Especially when playing a team as talent rich as the Dwags (it kills me saying that).

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Now, now
There's no room for logic in a chatroom. We need to fire this loser because he hasn't won a championship yet.

Gator fans are the worst.
We can go all the way back to Chump who failed to recruit O-Lineman and we couldn't play a spring game because of it. We are so far behind the good schools when it comes to offensive line play. That's where Georgia beats us every year. The have 5* lineman and we don't.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good point. But don't you think the guy patrolling the sidelines makes quite a difference as well? In this case I think it is a tremendous consideration.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is ridiculous. Everyone knows it takes 5 years to build a program in this league .Butchie Jones himself laid out the 5 year plan and Billy is following Butchies lead all the way to the bank .

If we go 7-5 or worse, I’ll officially question the direction. As it is, if we’re rebuilding and coming up short against simply better teams, I’ll let it play out. You know me well enough to know I’ll gladly grab my pitchfork and join you. But at this stage, even plays like what we saw from Marshall and their offcast Kimber, plus a handful of others are constant reminder of how far we fell behind teams like we faced today.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
This is year 4 for NorveLLLL and the only reason he wasn’t fired after two years is because FSU has no money. If they had money for the buyout, he would be gone. They were stuck with him and it has been great for FSU. Not saying this will happen with Billy but FSU was forced to be patient and it has come together nicely. A QB who has been in College since 2018, an OL that has 200 combined starts , skill players acquired through the portal and a competent defense with a few NFL pass rushers. A very veteran team that has failed a lot and now is enjoying success. It will be interesting to see where they are in 24‘ when a lot of talent runs out of eligibility.

Fair points but one big difference is the offensive scheme they run. They throw the ball downfield and we don’t do that very much.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good point. But don't you think the guy patrolling the sidelines makes quite a difference as well? In this case I think it is a tremendous consideration.

We had one of the best, DC’s in the country at the time, and still weren’t immune. No idea whether Armstrong can make it here or not, and Napier himself is far from certain. But again, the plays we are seeing being made are being made by first or second year guys. and my 07 reference was only to say that great players can look soft when they’re young.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fair points but one big difference is the offensive scheme they run. They throw the ball downfield and we don’t do that very much.

As I said, in the chat, do you think their offense would look nearly this good if they’d faced the teams we’ve faced? I personally do not. Travis would be broken in half if he’d been hit the way Mertz has been hit.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We had one of the best, DC’s in the country at the time, and still weren’t immune. No idea whether Armstrong can make it here or not, and Napier himself is far from certain. But again, the plays we are seeing being made are being made by first or second year guys. and my 07 reference was only to say that great players can look soft when they’re young.
But all I am saying is Leyer> than Sling Blade. That itself is where I veer. That is not changing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
But all I am saying is Leyer> than Sling Blade. That itself is where I veer. That is not changing.

I think that’s an obvious. We have had two Hall of Fame coaches, and the current coach is at the moment, nowhere near that level. But that’s also pretty high bar.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think that’s an obvious. We have had two Hall of Fame coaches, and the current coach is at the moment, nowhere near that level. But that’s also pretty high bar.
Sling Blade does not have to get to that level but FFS he can't be Dumbo, Cousin Eddie, Butters, MusCrat, Zook, Fedora or any other horendous HC that anyone could see was horrendous. I would settle for him to get to Stoops status or the current or former coach at like BYU or even the Oregon St. HC, then reevaluate.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some of you seem to have forgotten that Napier is subconsciously a proxy for the messy stewardship of the UAA. Nobody expects immediate magic, but neither do they want to be fed yet another line about being patient after 14 years of poor results.

For God's sake, at least throw us a bone every once in a while, like, say, a win over UGA. Or is UGA now considered too big for bones?

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Billy hasn’t reached Old Hee Haw level yet, and not Mullen either.

He’s not SEC material. Period.

Hee haw faced uga with a walk-on safety making his first start at QB and Smart’s first year. Then got waxed in year 3, which would’ve continued if he’d stayed. Mullen got smacked twice and took a team with multiple NFL starters on offense and lost because of his friend at DC and not even having the attention to make sure we had the right wrist bands.

There isn’t a UF coach that has faced this type of uga team in our history. That’s reality.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
if we go 7-5 or worse, I’ll officially question the direction.
Between the freshman and red shirt freshman we are playing, that is great.

Next year would be the year to evaluate but the schedule is so hard. Hopefully we can convince our starters to return. Let Marshall go pro because he sucks. Year two together will help this offense. I hope Billy can go out and get a transfer WR to step into Ricky's role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator