Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The AD should have a talk with BN. (I know he wont...)

BN should restructure the program like hes a GM in the NFL. He has good organizational, people and process skills ... use those in the "Back Room"... continue to develop his cast of thousands, player experience and recruiting process.

Hire an OC and ST coach and stay out of game day coaching.

There's no law that says this cant be done in season. Not optimal, but doable.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody wants to see UF lose, but human nature is human nature. People can get a bit invested in being right.

Napier will have the rest of the season to right this ship before the rudder falls off. Let's hope he does. I genuinely like the guy and I genuinely dislike going back to square one. I've only got so many squares left.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Ppl saying the defense played well are the same ones who said we are winning 9 games, the oline will be better, and mertz will be a stud. It's just wishful conjecture.

We were muschamp 2.0 Thursday night, and as such, the opponent treated us like muschamp 2.0 in the second half - lots of subs and super vanilla plays bc there's zero reason to do otherwise. We will see lots of "we won the second half" comments by pumpers this season while the final score is a double digit loss.

I was hoping we were past moral victory U and life champion status but it's clearly alive and well.
Utah scored 24 points. If the Gators had a good offensive line, they win the game. I think 25 points is not too much to ask from a decent offense in college football today.
I think the defense played well enough to win the game if the offense (and special teams) had done their parts. The special teams gave Utah a key first down on the dumbest penalty of the century after the defense stopped them.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Utah scored 24 points. If the Gators had a good offensive line, they win the game. I think 25 points is not too much to ask from a decent offense in college football today.
I think the defense played well enough to win the game if the offense (and special teams) had done their parts. The special teams gave Utah a key first down on the dumbest penalty of the century after the defense stopped them.

I'm afraid this isn't a simple matter of plug the OL issue and move on. We've got leaks everywhere. And this all happened against a Pac 12 team playing without its starting quarterback.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
I'm afraid this isn't a simple matter of plug the OL issue and move on. We've got leaks everywhere. And this all happened against a Pac 12 team playing without its starting quarterback.
A bad OL really hampers the quarterback and running backs. Did you notice how many times the quarterback was down before he even had a chance to make a play? And how many big holes did the OL make for the running backs?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A bad OL really hampers the quarterback and running backs. Did you notice how many times the quarterback was down before he even had a chance to make a play? And how many big holes did the OL make for the running backs?

One of three main cogs. The other two stink as well and there are big questions about management.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The AD should have a talk with BN. (I know he wont...)

BN should restructure the program like hes a GM in the NFL. He has good organizational, people and process skills ... use those in the "Back Room"... continue to develop his cast of thousands, player experience and recruiting process.

What in the hell is Strichnine going to talk to Sling Blade about? Does this look like the type of guy who knows anything about football?
1693667012950.jpeg

And how can a guy who knows nothing about football impart change on a HC whose 14 games have shown absolutely no grasp of game management?

I do not think anyone on this board takes great joy in the loss just b/c they thought Sling Blade was a bad hire. I actually think most of us do not distinguish that much anymore between a win or a loss, mainly b/c we are no where near contending for anything. We won games under Butters and Cousin Eddie with poor play and some luck and anyone with eyes could see that the product on the field would not continue to bring about consistent winning. This is what I find is the majority opinion here. The product on the field the last 14 games has not been anything that could sustain into consistent winning against any list of opponents. Until all the mistakes and complete bumbling stops on game day that is 100% within the team's own control, I do not think the feelings will change.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Seems difficult to do. Napier has his "system" and wants to prove something. We know that by how little our RBs were used when was our strength last season. I suppose the staff could have known our OL could not run block, but that seems unlikely. I still see the game plan as Napier trying to prove he could have a pass-first offense, and I can see why- impress DJ and JS. But he's not going to change this season. Who would he hire? He doesn't have a tree. Hard to do in-season. He should have stuck with last year's offense(run-first) and bring the pass game on as the season progresses. He tried to do a 180 and not good enough as coordinating, apparently, to pull it off.

Do we spread the field or all most of his formations that crowded look?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't get to watch but Mertz had decent stats. Run game a shocker and saw ST was a nightmare. I expected to be not great but man....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I didn't get to watch but Mertz had decent stats. Run game a shocker and saw ST was a nightmare. I expected to be not great but man....

If we spend the next two weeks getting Mertz on the same page with Wilson, Jean, Douglas and Burke, we could actually be ok in the passing game. Mertz wasn’t the issue for sure. Even his pick was more about dumb play calling and lack of situational awareness by the coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator