Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Mush's 2012 team would have shut this Ute team down He wouldn't have scored any more points but his defense would have crushed those 2 QB's.

Yeah, probably would have been a Zero to Zero tie after 3 OTs before the rules were changed that required a winner be determined.

And Champ would’ve been cool with that.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Did anyone notice, the "time of possession" comment in Napier's pressor?

I didn’t listen to the presser but I’m not surprised. I just don’t think he’s cut out for the job. I’m also concerned about the potential impact to recruiting, which appears to be a bright spot as of now. If we have a bad year on the field, similar or worse than last year, I’m worried about the class not sticking in the Top 5.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You think that's fair, that Ox has been stifling speech, berating and banning members who criticized Napier? Wouldn't you think he has a vested interest in having HIS board be reasonable and not 100% negative? Some good things have happened(recruiting), which is half the battle. We have a new and legitimately promising DC who should sooner than later erase the memory of our extremely poor scheme from last season. That correction is significant. But who would have expected a HC, supposedly so detailed, to neglect STs so that it becomes such a handicap and embarrassment? STs always wins or loses a game or two every season. I would have thought Napier was not going to let that detail of such importance be left to chance. I would have thought he made sure we at least restore our defense to effectiveness and make sure our STs are buttoned up and execute at a high level. He did not. He embarrassed himself again and apparently doesn't realize it. That's scary. But who would have expected that? Now we see, in addition, his offense is ugly to look at, exasperating to watch, his plays are not effective, our OL could not block, and our strength from last year- the run game- would be essentially abandoned? We know what Napier was trying to do- show DJ and Smith that we were going to have a great pass offense. Well, that was a mistake because he made himself look silly, and destroyed a lot of faith others had in him. Well, enough of that. My point is, what's Ox supposed to do, be the board's leader in pessimism?
I should edit this: I have not seen others share the sentiment that Napier was trying to show off a pass game. It's just my reasoning, that if you had last year an all but elite run game, and this season the same RBs, you would continue that while demonstrating a progressive pass game throughout the season. We went full on pass, essentially. Without the drive killing mistakes, would it have been any different? I don't know. But because we were shooting ourselves point blank, it might appear to some that we had to pass.

I expected two back sets, constantly attacking with swing passes and sets that forced the other team to chase us, which eventually might open up the pass more. You know, something systematic. Effective play action, a RB on a route, and a defense that may over commit to penetration or not, but then giving Mertz enough time to find receivers. Am I missing something?

Yes, without the mistakes, it would have been a closer game and we would feel vindicated. But even with that, would it have only disguised where the team actually is? If we have to play near perfect just to keep games close and "winnable", aren't we still in need of great improvement?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I think the intention would have been to run the ball, and it certainly included a number of screens and swing passes. We just missed or overthrew about 4-5 of those RB passes that supposedly AR sucked at but Mertz was going to hit as the "easy ones". The rest of the game and second half were a combination of Utah loading the box with 8-9 at all times, frequently rushing 6, which we helped by further bunching our WRs and 2 TE sets in tight frequently as well. Plus, we were down 24-3 4 minutes into the second half. Both our offense and Utah's changed from that point forward.

Find me a highly functional offense in either college or the NFL that is doing what we have shown with the constantly tight formations, limited receivers (whether WR, RB, or TE), and trying to run into a crowd.

Whereas, we could all cite to dynamic offenses that are doing the opposite, even if they have some bunch formations. Ironically, the bunch sets that other teams are running, when not on the goal line, are often intended to isolate matchups on the outside of those bunches, not to attack the middle of the 11 guys we have gathered close on defense.

I expect us to run more against other teams, but I also expect opponents to know how to cause Napier problems at this point.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I think the intention would have been to run the ball, and it certainly included a number of screens and swing passes. We just missed or overthrew about 4-5 of those RB passes that supposedly AR sucked at but Mertz was going to hit as the "easy ones". The rest of the game and second half were a combination of Utah loading the box with 8-9 at all times, frequently rushing 6, which we helped by further bunching our WRs and 2 TE sets in tight frequently as well. Plus, we were down 24-3 4 minutes into the second half. Both our offense and Utah's changed from that point forward.

Find me a highly functional offense in either college or the NFL that is doing what we have shown with the constantly tight formations, limited receivers (whether WR, RB, or TE), and trying to run into a crowd.

Whereas, we could all cite to dynamic offenses that are doing the opposite, even if they have some bunch formations. Ironically, the bunch sets that other teams are running, when not on the goal line, are often intended to isolate matchups on the outside of those bunches, not to attack the middle of the 11 guys we have gathered close on defense.

I expect us to run more against other teams, but I also expect opponents to know how to cause Napier problems at this point.
There is something fundamentally dysfunctional with Napier's thinking. I realize some will respond that it's the mistakes, miscues and drive killers, but it still seems that even without those errors, something is suspect with Napier's Xs and Os.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My reply was to people thinking our defense did well. You yourself said we weren't great nor were we good. Sounds like we agree.

We are young. There were plenty of defenders running around in open space and missed assignments. I didn't see anything that suggested we have a better defensive coordinator but we do have talent.

I clearly saw one thing that suggested a better DC.
I don’t recall seeing DB’s in a soft zone 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 6.

That’s something anyway

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My reply was to people thinking our defense did well. You yourself said we weren't great nor were we good. Sounds like we agree.

We are young. There were plenty of defenders running around in open space and missed assignments. I didn't see anything that suggested we have a better defensive coordinator but we do have talent.
I dunno. Takes a few games. We are going to need a stout D…. And STs. D usually comes around before offense and really, STs should be excellent. Excellent STs wins a couple of games a season. WTH is staff… never mind.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
There is something fundamentally dysfunctional with Napier's thinking. I realize some will respond that it's the mistakes, miscues and drive killers, but it still seems that even without those errors, something is suspect with Napier's Xs and Os.

Yes it's called 12 personnel in 2023. Not only would it still be awful with Pitts and Hernandez in at TE but it literally is a system that had its hey-day in 2011.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yes it's called 12 personnel in 2023. Not only would it still be awful with Pitts and Hernandez in at TE but it literally is a system that had its hey-day in 2011.
So, an offensive system is only a theoretical design, right? One could not know how it's going to work until it's implemented and tested. I don't quite understand what Napier's conclusion is, but he must believe it works, will work, is working. I guess there's no room for disagreement.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Watched the GNFP post game analysis Offense. Damien George is just too slow for OT. That's the best we have? Okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.