Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The only improvement I saw last night was our tackling. In the past we missed so many and the YAC counter was constantly spinning. Last night it looked different and was just about the only bright spot for me out of that abortion of a game.
That's a pretty bright spot. Our tackling has been horrendous for several years.

I think.the defense, for the most part, were in the right place. Good play calling and execution. Utah called a couple of good plays against us that caught us in the wrong play. Plenty of upside there.

Special Teams sucks donkey dicks.

Online needs snaps together.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The only improvement I saw last night was our tackling. In the past we missed so many and the YAC counter was constantly spinning. Last night it looked different and was just about the only bright spot for me out of that abortion of a game.
Go Jags.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Agree on the tackling, which means your players are in the right spot for the most part.

I thought the D played well from what I saw. Not dominant, but well enough to win.

jbaker07

Oct 15, 2017
I agree with that. You could also tell that depth on the DLine was much improved over last year.

Unfortunately, it looks like the OLine took several steps backwards. I realize that Eguakun was out, but Damieon George's play was not good. So unless that was first game jitters, his play improves dramatically, or he gets replaced, tackle is going to be a big issue in SEC play.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agree on the tackling, which means your players are in the right spot for the most part.

I thought the D played well from what I saw. Not dominant, but well enough to win.
It remains to be seen if our newfound tackling ability will stand up to SEC player level.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
It remains to be seen if our newfound tackling ability will stand up to SEC player level.
It won't because, overall, we are 10-20lbs too light at most positions. However, we were in position to make the tackles, so that's half the battle. Im.expecting a defense much like 2007 (not as talented or fast though).

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018
Only good thing from this game was Mertz didn’t look terrible and the true freshmen played fairly well. Trey, Kelby, TJ, and Jordan need to get A LOT of snaps. Hopefully Andy can join at WR as well.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Wonder why we can’t use our 3rd string QB like they used their 4th string guy as a running threat? Why can’t Max Brown have a package like that?

Good analysis:
"Because this wasn’t just Florida getting beat. This was Florida embarrassing itself on national television and looking completely unprepared after an offseason of talking about cohesiveness, execution and attention to detail."

Not once but twice in a row being nationally embarrassed.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
"Because this wasn’t just Florida getting beat. This was Florida embarrassing itself on national television and looking completely unprepared after an offseason of talking about cohesiveness, execution and attention to detail."

Not once but twice in a row being nationally embarrassed.
This is where I'm at right now, forgets wins or losses. It's the talking about execution and detail and then embarrassing yourself. It's the lying.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Karl will bring in more of this type crap to fix it:

saturday night live snl GIF

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017

"In the most simplistic terms, Florida is a horrendously-coached team. False starts, illegal formations, 2 blown trips in the red zone because of poor play-calling and/or penalties that produced 0 points. Absolutely critical self-inflicted wounds, series after series, quarter after quarter."

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
From that same article... "The Gators were 1-for-16 on 3rd and 4th down, and didn’t covert a 3rd down until the 4th quarter. In the 2nd half alone, 3 drives ended on downs."

That shows me that Nape has no offensive plays at all. He can't move the ball without superior talent working perfectly together. This is the Bama playbook. You can call vanilla plays when you have superior talent at every position. If not, you need to be creative. Billy ain't that.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Well, good news is we got answers to pretty much all of our questions.

Bad news is we dont really like the answers.

Our OL was soooo bad. Our OTs got beat every single play. Sigh.

While Mertz seemed to be hurried and pressured for just about every single play, its really hard to ignore some of the horrible throws he did make. He threw some really good ones but there were some touch passes that just looked like crap. We pretty much looked exactly like an AR led offense but without the high ceiling that AR brings. Sigh...sigh.

Pearsall really looks the part but Im really not sold on him. He dropped several, that while might have been a tad high or behind, they hit his fuchsing hands. He is WR1, older player, leader and he needs to make some muthafuggin plays. And given that Mertz was having to hurry the throws Pearsall needs to catch those balls and especially not droppsie it right into a defenders hands for an interception. Sigh...sigh...sigh.

On one hand we seemed to get down to the 20 fairly easy but anything beyond that was just painful to watch. There just seemed to be no strategy, identity or purpose. Basic average mediocrity. Sigh...sigh...sigh...sigh.

Douglas, Burke and Wilson...welcome to the team! More please.

Thought the defense played ok, especially the second half. We got gutted with the short to intermediate routes over the middle often in the first half but that seemed to get fixed for the 2nd. Defense seemed to do more than enough for us to win the game, its just our offense is so, well, just lacking in so many ways its hard to even describe. But defense seemed to be good for game 1 but want to see a lot of improvement. We got a lot of young players out there.

Im still team Napier but the way the O looked its getting hard.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
pearsall had a few that even OBJ and randy moss would have missed, fingertips to the ball while you're laying out for it isnt good enough. the ball was poorly placed and timed for the bobble/interception. that ball is supposed to be thrown to the chest or his right side as he hooks. Instead it was to him just as his head was beginning to turn (early due to pressure) and was thrown to his left side with as much heat as any pass thrown. I'm tired of posters that have no understanding of timing and ball placement putting that on him. I'm not blaming mertz as he was pressured and did the best he could, but under the circumstances so did ricky. just a bad play at a bad time, with a bad o-line.

this loss isnt on the players. the kids played hard, didnt quit, gave a lot of effort right up to the end. so lets stop pointing at players (besides moten) as the issue. the issue is poor coaching, poor play calling, bad scheme, INattention to detail, and a staff's holistic failure to address and correct the same issues we saw all through last year. We have the ball down 13 with 6 minutes left and it takes us 5 minutes to move 30 yards? Even dildo dan could have moved us 30 yds in 2 plays when we really had to have it. And lets not mention that mertz took sacks during that drive and none of the 2 TOs we had in our pocket were deployed.

Thank god billy gets those saved TO's going into next week...

This staff is an absolute embarrassment to P5 football and the SEC. They should have never been hired and now we are stuck with them b/c the buyout is in the 30+ million arena and fan apathy is so low nobody cares enough to cough it up to get rid of this dunce. At least not before foley and stricknine are perp walked out first. For all the poster bashing on folks who brought up kiffin as an option, its going to be pretty damn frustrating when they boat race us out of the stadium this year. Would kiffin been the right guy? No. But it wouldnt be as bad as it is now either.

I truly believed that this game would give us an indication of whether we were finally going to get out of this hole or if it truly is over for this program. We didnt need to win to affirm the former, but what we showed tells me the latter. Its over. It's so over the fat lady already sang, shes now horse, hospitalized, and suffering from a record breaking case of laryngitis.

The entire AD org needs to be thrown out on their collective azzes, and then a 4-6 year whole of program rebuild is required to get us back to respectable. And that wont start until the AD dept is cleaned out completely. For all practical purposes, this program is dead. And dont misunderstand me to think im claiming potaters killed it; he didnt. But if we were in cardiac arrest coming into his tenure, then he's done the equivalent of criss crossing the wires on the defibulator battery pack, zapping us, and ensuring we'd never regain consciousness.

God help us all.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Remember, this was the first game of the year playing away from home. I'm not expecting perfection from anyone.

I thought special teams had a number of severe problems and the offensive line was horrible.
Quarterback was OK and the defense played well enough to win the game if the team has a decent offense.
Special teams can be fixed.
I don't know if the OL can be fixed (maybe the players are just sub-par, I don't know). Regardless, without a decent OL, I don't think we will see many points against SEC teams and other ranked teams this season.
It’s maddening that we played “experienced” WRs who lined up wrong on several critical plays. Billy G. has to fix that asap. That’s probably the easiest issue to fix by coaching and/or benching them.

The special teams debacle is ongoing from last year. If Smack can’t kick FGs why don’t we get a xfer or recruit another PK? Mihalek isn’t good enough. Where’s that dentist?

Fix those 2 pieces and we win despite all the other issues and Utah being a very established program, experienced and at home.

But lots else to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.