Gator Baseball ***OFFICIAL NC SERIES THREAD: UF vs LSU***

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Bummer......... I was expecting a Championship worthy Game......

Still.... Go Gators!
None of the three were really. LSU should have blown us out game 1 and then got lucky they didn't get walked off. Game 2 was a joke. Game 3 was a joke.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry for the late post….but that was the absolute WORST pitching I have ever seen in my life. 8 walks, 4 hit batters, and countless meatballs served on a silver platter. JFC halfway through the game I found myself just hoping that our 24 run record would stand for more than one day. I guess it’s kinda weird losing 18-4 in the final game while still out-scoring your opponent in the series :lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Bad coaches and managers can indeed win championships, but they have to compile enough overwhelming talent to overcome themselves. Sully managed to do it once, and he almost did it again this year.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well THAT sucks. Hate to come up short at the very end, but Sully’s game day coaching certainly makes the postseason a crapshoot every year. Guess he needs to recruit twice as hard if he wants to win trophies.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Momentum is massive in college sports and baseball is no different. We went up 2-0, had all the momentum and literally gave it right back to LSU and their crowd while Sully sat back and watched. If you’re going to start Cags, you HAVE to have a short leash and have somebody ready.

Even though he got out of the 1st unscathed, you could tell he was his same erratic self. Once we got their bats going, it was over just as it was for them in Game 2.

Sully needs a pitching coach in the worst way and needs help with crucial decisions period.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As I mentioned before, LSU’s lineup has hitters top to bottom aside from the inbred shortstop. Outside of 3-4 guys on our side, we’re good for a K every at bat. Throw in the walks and lack of control on the mound and we’re lucky to even see game 3

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You all continued to watch this game after that second inning abortion? You could see Jacc struggling at the beginning of the second. If he pulled him, then in there, we would’ve had a shot. It demoralized the team when we were all of a sudden down by 4 runs in the second. We were never coming back.

There was way too much momentum for LSU. Momentum is huge in college sports.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
You all continued to watch this game after that second inning abortion? You could see Jacc struggling at the beginning of the second. If he pulled him, then in there, we would’ve had a shot. It demoralized the team when we were all of a sudden down by 4 runs in the second. We were never coming back.

No, I could only watch 4 innings but my 11 year old daughter watched every pitch and would come excitedly in the room when Evans and Cade homered, even down by dozens. She cried this one out but I enjoyed the bonding time with her. #futureGator

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
No, I could only watch 4 innings but my 11 year old daughter watched every pitch and would come excitedly in the room when Evans and Cade homered, even down by dozens. She cried this one out but I enjoyed the bonding time with her. #futureGator

Same

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

I went to sleep mid game, woke up top of 8th and it was 14 to 4. I turned it off and went to bed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Sounds like my youngest during/after the 2020 Lsu “shoe toss” game. From our angle and in that fog, he was convinced we hit that final kick. Only game we attended all year and some special bonding, but the drive down 2nd Ave with a frustrated, sobbing 11 year old was the toughest I’ve ever had. For all our hated rivals, I’m not sure Lsu hasn’t done the most damage to us in a variety of ways and sports. They’ve become the Auburn of the 70s-90s.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Sounds like my youngest during/after the 2020 Lsu “shoe toss” game. From our angle and in that fog, he was convinced we hit that final kick. Only game we attended all year and some special bonding, but the drive down 2nd Ave with a frustrated, sobbing 11 year old was the toughest I’ve ever had. For all our hated rivals, I’m not sure Lsu hasn’t done the most damage to us in a variety of ways and sports. They’ve become the Auburn of the 70s-90s.
Yeah brother LSU loses are the worse for us, but I keep reminding myself of the 2000’s run with Tebow and Noah/Horford. LSU fans hated me as much as I despise them now.

My daughter says “its ok Dad, maybe when I grow up we will beat LSU every year”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah brother LSU loses are the worse for us, but I keep reminding myself of the 2000’s run with Tebow and Noah/Horford. LSU fans hated me as much as I despise them now.

My daughter says “its ok Dad, maybe when I grow up we will beat LSU every year”

I can only imagine living there. Worked with a lot of Lsu grads years ago when we were at least holding our own. Now I’d probably have to bail on those projects. :lol: But for my son it’s we have to beat Lsu every year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I've said before, I don't really care about baseball - but this run had me watching, from regionals to finals. I also bitched earlier about our matchup with UVA as my wife and I did undergrad at UF but she did grad school at UVA. We survived that. Now, the finals had me (UF) up against my corndog sister (LSU). We made a friendly wager that on family reunion vacation next week loser buys dinner for the winner. I've offered her Burger King, drive thru or dine in, her choice.

Before I get to Sully, I'll comment that for all the btching in this thread (true GC fashion), there were nearly 300 other teams sitting at home watching wishing they could have done what we did. Second place is the first loser, and all that usual carp about not winning the NC - I get it, but don't undersell what this team actually DID accomplish. A 1-run game 1, and lopsided blowouts in games 2 and 3, for me, is just the nature of baseball - anything can happen on any given day. It also tells me these two teams are fairly even, just depends on who shows up that given day. Game 2 seemed like once we got going we couldn't be stopped, game 3 was the same just going the other way. In both cases, mistakes were made - coaching, and by players. That's baseball. I'll give my respect to this Gator team, they earned it.

On Sully, I don't follow baseball, so I did a little homework. Announcers were saying he's made the CWS (I refuse to add the M because this is THE college world series), 8 of his 15 years since he joined in 2008. Checking who else has been that prolific in that timeframe...

the following are ranked by total appearances
Team / Total CWS appearances / Titles (last one) / CWS appearances since 2008
Texas / 38 / 6 (2005) / 6
Miami / 25 / 4 (2001) / 3
F$U / 23 / 0 (hahaha) / 5
ArizSt / 22 / 5 (1981) / 2
USC / 21 / 12 (1998) / 0
OkSt / 20 / 1 (1959) / 1
LSU / 19 / 7 (2023) / 6
Stanford / 19 / 2 (1988) / 4
Ariz / 18 / 4 (2012) / 3
CalStFul / 18 / 4 (2004) / 3
Florida / 13 / 1 (2017) / 8

Nobody has gotten to the CWS more often than Sully in that time frame. Nobody, and the closest is Texas and LSU at 6 appearances.

Going back to the winning NC teams in the Sully era, here are the same stats for their performances
2023 LSU / 19 / 7 (2023) / 6
2022 OleMiss / 6 / 1 (2022) / 2
2021 MissSt 12 / 1 (2021) / 4
2020 Covid
2019 Vandy / 5 / 2 (2019) / 5
2018 OreSt / 7 / 3 (2018) / 3
2017 Florida / 13 / 1 (2017) / 8
2016 CoastalCar / 1 / 1 (2016) / 1
2015 UVA / 6 / 1 (2015) / 6
2014 Vandy
2013 UCLA / 5 / 1 (2013) / 3
2012 Ariz / 18 / 4 (2012) / 3
2011 USCe / 11 / 2 (2011) / 3
2010 USCe
2009 LSU
2008 Fresno St / 4 / 1 (2008) / 1

Again, nobody compares to Sully in terms of getting there and having a chance. Does he make some bad decisions, absolutely and unquestionably. However, nobody has a program operating at this high a level consistently. Nobody. Closest is LSU and UVA with recent titles and only 6 appearances in CWS. You aren't going to find a replacement that is an upgrade. Can/Should he get some staff to help his weak points? Yes! But nobody is running a better program. LSU is the next closest, 6 appearances to our 8, but 2 NCs to our 1 (and that could be swapped if game 1 went our way).

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
UF pitchers hit 1 LSU player multiple times. Pretty good odds.

That was horrible.

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, gotta agree, it's probably not a good idea to throw Sully out with the bath water. But, the odds really were against us. LSU had only lost back to back games twice all season.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I've said before, I don't really care about baseball - but this run had me watching, from regionals to finals. I also bitched earlier about our matchup with UVA as my wife and I did undergrad at UF but she did grad school at UVA. We survived that. Now, the finals had me (UF) up against my corndog sister (LSU). We made a friendly wager that on family reunion vacation next week loser buys dinner for the winner. I've offered her Burger King, drive thru or dine in, her choice.

Before I get to Sully, I'll comment that for all the btching in this thread (true GC fashion), there were nearly 300 other teams sitting at home watching wishing they could have done what we did. Second place is the first loser, and all that usual carp about not winning the NC - I get it, but don't undersell what this team actually DID accomplish. A 1-run game 1, and lopsided blowouts in games 2 and 3, for me, is just the nature of baseball - anything can happen on any given day. It also tells me these two teams are fairly even, just depends on who shows up that given day. Game 2 seemed like once we got going we couldn't be stopped, game 3 was the same just going the other way. In both cases, mistakes were made - coaching, and by players. That's baseball. I'll give my respect to this Gator team, they earned it.

On Sully, I don't follow baseball, so I did a little homework. Announcers were saying he's made the CWS (I refuse to add the M because this is THE college world series), 8 of his 15 years since he joined in 2008. Checking who else has been that prolific in that timeframe...

the following are ranked by total appearances
Texas / 38 / 6 (2005) / 6
Miami / 25 / 4 (2001) / 3
F$U / 23 / 0 (hahaha) / 5
ArizSt / 22 / 5 (1981) / 2
USC / 21 / 12 (1998) / 0
OkSt / 20 / 1 (1959) / 1
LSU / 19 / 7 (2023) / 6
Stanford / 19 / 2 (1988) / 4
Ariz / 18 / 4 (2012) / 3
CalStFul / 18 / 4 (2004) / 3
Florida / 13 / 1 (2017) / 8

Nobody has gotten to the CWS more often than Sully in that time frame. Nobody, and the closest is Texas and LSU at 6 appearances.

Going back to the winning NC teams in the Sully era, here are the same stats for their performances
2023 LSU / 19 / 7 (2023) / 6
2022 OleMiss / 6 / 1 (2022) / 2
2021 MissSt 12 / 1 (2021) / 4
2020 Covid
2019 Vandy / 5 / 2 (2019) / 5
2018 OreSt / 7 / 3 (2018) / 3
2017 Florida / 13 / 1 (2017) / 8
2016 CoastalCar / 1 / 1 (2016) / 1
2015 UVA / 6 / 1 (2015) / 6
2014 Vandy
2013 UCLA / 5 / 1 (2013) / 3
2012 Ariz / 18 / 4 (2012) / 3
2011 USCe / 11 / 2 (2011) / 3
2010 USCe
2009 LSU
2008 Fresno St / 4 / 1 (2008) / 1

Again, nobody compares to Sully in terms of getting there and having a chance. Does he make some bad decisions, absolutely and unquestionably. However, nobody has a program operating at this high a level consistently. Nobody. Closest is LSU and UVA with recent titles and only 6 appearances in CWS. You aren't goimg to find a replacement that is an upgrade. Can/Should he get some staff to help his weak points? Yes! But nobody is running a better program. LSU is the next closest, 6 appearances to our 8, but 2 NCs to our 1 (and that could be swapped if game 1 went our way).
I was just about to do a similar, math/stats based post, but you pretty much covered it all, so I'll just do my narrative part...
  1. To add to your time frame, other than UF, only USC and Vandy had the same HC for their finals appearances.
  2. College sports are a business and about brand.
  3. Other than Tim Corbin at Vandy, there is no more "successful" coach than Sully.
  4. Corbin ain't coming to UF, why would he?
  5. So that leaves us in the same boat as the football HC argument.... WHO are you going to replace Sully with that can provide more "success" than he has for the business/brand?
  6. I think Sully is a POS as a human being, but at least he married the widow he was fukking around with when she wasn't a widow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.