Gator Baseball ***OFFICIAL NC SERIES THREAD: UF vs LSU***

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Imagine if Sully had left for LSU a few years ago when they made a play for him and we replaced him with the guy LSU ultimately hired? What could have been…

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Imagine if Sully had left for LSU a few years ago when they made a play for him and we replaced him with the guy LSU ultimately hired? What could have been…
That guy didn't recruit most of the players that hurt us the most over the last 3 days... let's check back in a year or two before we talk about "what could have been..."

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah brother LSU loses are the worse for us, but I keep reminding myself of the 2000’s run with Tebow and Noah/Horford. LSU fans hated me as much as I despise them now.

My daughter says “its ok Dad, maybe when I grow up we will beat LSU every year”

Poor girl must not know who Stricklin is

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As I mentioned before, LSU’s lineup has hitters top to bottom aside from the inbred shortstop. Outside of 3-4 guys on our side, we’re good for a K every at bat. Throw in the walks and lack of control on the mound and we’re lucky to even see game 3
I’d add that I think we might have had the better hitters (2, 3, 4 + Evans) but LSU had more hitters, on this night anyhow.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
That guy didn't recruit most of the players that hurt us the most over the last 3 days... let's check back in a year or two before we talk about "what could have been..."

Nearly half the team are his recruits. And the issue isn’t really recruiting as our classes over the past 4 years are comparable to, if not better than, LSU’s. He sure coached his guys up and closed the deal. Sully didn’t, so now is as good a time as any to dream about what could have been.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Was going to post this in the other thread but it appears locked so I'll stick to this one.

That a great season with a disappointing last game. Leaves a bitter taste seeing our starting pitchers (other than sproat, not that he had a good game either) all sort of melt down in the finals.

You have to think that cags is going to come back very hungry next year after his basically null performance in the postseason. Hope that he can continue to work on his game and become a dominant pitcher next year. I also expect to see a breakout year for one or two of our 5 or so freshman fielders that got playing time this year. Kurland, shelnut, and Heyman all seem like they are locks to continue to start for us. Maybe we just saw the beginnings of a big year for ty Evans as well?

I'm excited about the new guys coming in. I think that catcher from Alabama is gonna end up being better for us than BT. I assume we will be preseason top 10 again next year along with a slew of SEC teams. Should be fun

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Cags is a thrower, not a pitcher..yet. He needs a mechanical adjustment because he is pulling terribly on his front side. That's why he misses up and out and down and in so much when he is struggling.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I’d add that I think we might have had the better hitters (2, 3, 4 + Evans) but LSU had more hitters, on this night anyhow.
To me it was clear that LSU had better and more hitters top to bottom. Yes we are a home run team and that is not why LSU has better hitters, but we do not have the ability to string together hits say if the wind is blowing in or the pitching is good. I mean it just seemed like the LSU hitters more often than not get the barrel on the ball. And when the pitchers make their pitch, the hitters seemed able to spoil them and live to have another swing. I would really like to see some of our hitters develop more compact, make contact swings, particularly the guys who you know are not really HR hitters.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cags is obviously wild but I honestly don't know what good pulling him earlier was gonna do. All of our pitchers sucked last night. Sucked out loud. None of them could hit the ocean from a boat. When Cags came out it was 6-2 I think, hardly an insurmountable lead. The pen gave up 12 runs! Truly the most awful display of pitching top to bottom I've ever seen. The walks, the HBPs, the wild pitches, the 0-2 meatballs right down the middle....JFC! It was like one of those rare MLB games where its so out of hand they bring in the right fielder to pitch the last inning, except this was the 2nd inning of the championship game.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Was going to post this in the other thread but it appears locked so I'll stick to this one.

That a great season with a disappointing last game. Leaves a bitter taste seeing our starting pitchers (other than sproat, not that he had a good game either) all sort of melt down in the finals.

You have to think that cags is going to come back very hungry next year after his basically null performance in the postseason. Hope that he can continue to work on his game and become a dominant pitcher next year. I also expect to see a breakout year for one or two of our 5 or so freshman fielders that got playing time this year. Kurland, shelnut, and Heyman all seem like they are locks to continue to start for us. Maybe we just saw the beginnings of a big year for ty Evans as well?

I'm excited about the new guys coming in. I think that catcher from Alabama is gonna end up being better for us than BT. I assume we will be preseason top 10 again next year along with a slew of SEC teams. Should be fun
The transfer from Bama is a 3B/SS not catcher. The catcher from the portal was a part time starter at some NC school. No he will not replace Riopelle that will be Heyman.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Good point Spurdog, cags has had a few really good games, but it seems every other game was a disastrous struggle. I recall a game where he let 6 batters in a row on base without a hit (I think they were all walks) not HBs, the next game he was unstoppable. Unfortunately, last night was after a good game so he started off with a HB. It should have been a clue, but the next three were outs. Everything went down hill from there.

The kittens had better batting to be sure. When our sluggers can't hit, we don't play small ball, but we can't bunt either so it's probably for the best. If Sully can, he needs to help these highly recruited kids to put the ball on the ground. Home runs are great, but it can't be a total offensive scheme.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
The breakdowns in Pitching was what had me shaking my head and throwing shiit at the tv.
I thought We would sweep them. Just because of how the pitching rotations were set for us coming out of our side of the bracket.

Damn, Sproat and then Waldrep?

I was only concerned about the top of the order and our sub 200 batting average.

Both were pitching pretty well in Omaha. Not shutdown sub .100 era's but still, getting it done.

Looking back I can see the wrinkles.
In the supers final, South Carolina was swinging at anything after a 2-2 count. Outside, in the dirt, out of the zone, anything.

LSU just looked at that forkball as it dove down across the plate to the dirt. BALL!
That nice sweeping fast ball at the knees to the lefties? LSU stroked that into the right field stands.
It sure seems like our Pitching thrived on un disciplined hitters all year, swinging at that 2-2 pitch in the dirt or off the plate.

It caught up to us and we need to coach up our staff better, if we're going to win a Natty against a disciplined at the plate team full of 300 hitters.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
To me it was clear that LSU had better and more hitters top to bottom. Yes we are a home run team and that is not why LSU has better hitters, but we do not have the ability to string together hits say if the wind is blowing in or the pitching is good. I mean it just seemed like the LSU hitters more often than not get the barrel on the ball. And when the pitchers make their pitch, the hitters seemed able to spoil them and live to have another swing. I would really like to see some of our hitters develop more compact, make contact swings, particularly the guys who you know are not really HR hitters.

The part about LSU battling and spoiling pitches and hitting line drives is the biggest difference I saw. throughout the season we seldom saw that with any of our guys. Seldom if ever saw our guys adjust their plate approach when they had 2 strikes. No choking up, no shorter swings, no attempt whatsoever to prevent a strikeout or a pop up. We never have and never will see it as long as Sully is the head coach.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cags is obviously wild but I honestly don't know what good pulling him earlier was gonna do. All of our pitchers sucked last night. Sucked out loud. None of them could hit the ocean from a boat. When Cags came out it was 6-2 I think, hardly an insurmountable lead. The pen gave up 12 runs! Truly the most awful display of pitching top to bottom I've ever seen. The walks, the HBPs, the wild pitches, the 0-2 meatballs right down the middle....JFC! It was like one of those rare MLB games where its so out of hand they bring in the right fielder to pitch the last inning, except this was the 2nd inning of the championship game.
wild-thing.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator