*******Official Orange and Blue Game Thread**********

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't get a chance to post earlier, but I have mixed feelings about what I saw today. Grier looked good for the most part and he was on time and accurate with the ball. He had the play of the day with the flea flicker to Alvin Bailey, who also had an encouraging day. I hope he develops into a reliable #2 receiver or slot guy. Treon had a few nice passes as well including passes to Valdez Showers and D Rob. But, he struggled with accuracy at times particularly in the redzone. The O-line remains a concern going into fall, especially if Rod Johnson is not able to play anymore. Martez Ivey will have to play immediately this year. But, I'm more worried about the middle of our line. We have to get that corrected before the season starts. Way too much penetration up the gut today.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n207810 said:
I agree about the coaching but its going to be tough this first season with what was left on offense. Unless our defense is 2012 good or even better pulling an 8-4 record would be a huge accomplishment for McElwain.
I think we have more weapons on offense than we had in 2012. But you just can't ignore how thin and inexperienced our o-line is. I think 8-4 is a reasonable prediction. Our schedule isn't what was last year. Every team we play is either rebuilding or has serious question marks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, finally got a chance to watch some of the dvr'ed O&B debut. Lotsa stuff to clean up, but I like the offensive concepts I'm seeing.

You guys are a little too rough on the QBs. Facing that first team Orange DL with a bunch of walkons playing OL (some of whom like Fuchs were playing both ways) isn't really a way to judge what they are capable of doing. We can win some with either guy. We can actually be decent I think with any of the top 5 if the OL can get really lucky.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Overall, Macdaddy has the team moving in the right direction. There was enough glimmer of an offense that given more time and more bodies, I think Mac will have us in contention soon enough.

We'll need those freshmen O-linemen to have to go through some OJT. I can see teams loading the box and forcing us to make the quick slant or whatever pass, so having Showers in there hopefully burns a few teams, Having our receivers go against our great DB's will hopefully allow them to get open when we play lesser talent. Need to stop the drops! Defense looks like they will be dominant. I like the push out of the line,

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm trying to understand how this thread was stuck. Last I saw, during the "game" it wasn't.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
cornbread;n207827 said:
there is not much talent on offense, kinda depressing, I think I will go kick Foley's dog
We know we now have (and probably had last year) 4 QBs who are better than the guy we played last year. TEs look exciting. Actually using TEs will take a good deal of stress off the running game. The backers will actually have to read pass or run. Novel concept, I know.

It's a start. It's all we can expect at this point.

I'm actually pretty excited to see flea flickers, 5 wide receiver sets on first down and lotsa 3 receiver sets. I'm not sure if that is our real offense, given that they weren't going to pound the ball and risk losing another OL, but at least we know it's there.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n207830 said:
We know we now have (and probably had last year) 4 QBs who are better than the guy we played last year.

Hope to get to watch the DVR today. But you are right. We knew it last year. But if what I watch is near what everyone is posting, comfirmed.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n207830 said:
We know we now have (and probably had last year) 4 QBs who are better than the guy we played last year. TEs look exciting. Actually using TEs will take a good deal of stress off the running game. The backers will actually have to read pass or run. Novel concept, I know.

It's a start. It's all we can expect at this point.

I'm actually pretty excited to see flea flickers, 5 wide receiver sets on first down and lotsa 3 receiver sets. I'm not sure if that is our real offense, given that they weren't going to pound the ball and risk losing another OL, but at least we know it's there.

What??? Is this optimism I'm hearing? I like. I like.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n207789 said:
I agree. But in Harris's defense grier got more reps with the starters. I'm wondering if that means grier is leading the race

I have to agree. Grier did get more work with the starters and went against the walk on defense more often but Harris still looks more limited in the throws he can consistently make. Didn't see any real difference in him from last year.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Zambo;n207731 said:
God dang son! How did you get injured?
I had a 5.0 Mustang (that was the fastest street legal car in the panhandle) we we're racing one night and the guy we were racing bumped the back of the car which sent me and a friend of mine through the trees at a 145 mph.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
I had a 5.0 Mustang (that was the fastest street legal car in the panhandle) we we're racing one night and the guy we were racing bumped the back of the car which sent me and a friend of mine through the trees at a 145 mph.

Oh my.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n207848 said:
I have to agree. Grier did get more work with the starters and went against the walk on defense more often but Harris still looks more limited in the throws he can consistently make. Didn't see any real difference in him from last year.

Yes and the time that Harris had to go home did not help him either. But If you're getting the reps with the 1's, you must be leading the race. I really see Grier distancing himself in fall drills. Perhaps Mac will name a stater mid way through fall practice rather than game week. But I do see Harris getting on the field too. And he needs to be ready.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
What I saw from Harris that I didn't like was is "best" pass. If you look at the tape, he staired down the WR (I think it was Robinson) and he still had to tap dance to keep his foot in for his biggest play. However, what I saw from Grier wasn't that great either. It looked like he was afraid to go down field (that maybe because our badass DBs) but most of his throws looked like Muschimp was calling the offense with short dink and dunks. He did have a great back-shoulder throw down the sidelines, but then again if he had a better throw on that flea-flicker that could've been a TD. I would say right now we don't have a starting QB and that both will be slugging it out come fall. There was no clear winner.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;208137 said:
What I saw from Harris that I didn't like was is "best" pass. If you look at the tape, he staired down the WR (I think it was Robinson) and he still had to tap dance to keep his foot in for his biggest play. However, what I saw from Grier wasn't that great either. It looked like he was afraid to go down field (that maybe because our badass DBs) but most of his throws looked like Muschimp was calling the offense with short dink and dunks. He did have a great back-shoulder throw down the sidelines, but then again if he had a better throw on that flea-flicker that could've been a TD. I would say right now we don't have a starting QB and that both will be slugging it out come fall. There was no clear winner.

Grier did have a 45 yard strike down the seam to Bailey.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Haven't watched but a quick clip on a site that showed the QBs best plays. The thing that stood out to me was how longer throws by WG were pretty much on target, whereas TH made the WR twist and turn to catch a ball 'in the area'. I didn't see that last year, though I'm sure that's how he has always been, because I was so desperate to have JD off the field, and blown away by any passing attempt.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
NCOGator;n208137 said:

Grier clearly has the best release. He throws more accurately too. He will most likely start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.