Recruiting Official Recruiting Thread for the stretch run #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Didn't see this posted:
Official visits can last no longer than 48 hours on a college campus for recruits, but five-star defensive end Byron Cowart only spent a fourth of that time at Florida this weekend.
Cowart, who is ranked the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect by ESPN and Rivals, didn’t arrive in Gainesville for his official visit until shortly after midnight Saturday due to his basketball game Friday night.
But less than 12 hours later, Cowart and his mother left for Tampa at noon. According to ESPN’s Derek Tyson, his mom was called in to work.
Calls and texts made to Cowart by The Sun were not immediately returned Saturday. Tyson and sources close to The Sun said Cowart told the UF coaching staff heading into the weekend there was a chance his trip would be cut short.
Now, Cowart could have chosen to stay in Gainesville despite his mother having to leave early and just got a ride back home Sunday. However, he told The Sun beforehand his only reason for taking the visit was his mom.
Sources told The Sun his mother spent all morning with the coaches Saturday, much like they on the first day of the contact period. Once her meeting was finished and she had to go in to work, perhaps Cowart felt he didn’t need to stay.
There’s no denying it would have been beneficial for Florida to have him on campus all weekend, and that missed time could hurt Jim McElwain and his staff down the stretch. But his early departure from the visit doesn’t appear to be a result of him or his mom not enjoying their trip.

From GSun and Zach

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
601Gator;n158474 said:
TAG knows something. Have you been dropping bags TAG?

Wait a minute... GatorTAG.... Tags are on bags.... TAG is our bag man!

Attachments

• conv_2068.jpg
    conv_2068.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 35

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n158462 said:
Extremely risky approach. I can understand wanting a hand full of big fish to commit on signing day, but we need to get some of these guys in the fold now. In Steven Clark's case, I'm trying to figure out what an Alabama kid is still thinking about; UF or Syracuse? It seems he would have committed on the spot.
Uf is recruiting as an offensive lineman and Syracuse is recruiting him as a defensive lineman. He'd rather play defense, that's the hold up

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n158460 said:
If there are still no commits after this weekend I think that will be great news.
You may or may not be (but definitely are) looking through orange and blue glasses.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@SpiritBen: Hearing #OleMiss picked up a commitment from four-star wide receiver Van Jefferson. Working to confirm.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;158488 said:
@SpiritBen: Hearing #OleMiss picked up a commitment from four-star wide receiver Van Jefferson. Working to confirm.

Well that's unexpected.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
dubster1;n158477 said:
hey 601, have you heard anything?

I've heard everything from dubster being our WR Coach to SOS Jr. I've heard Cowart, Jefferson, Holland, and Ryan Davis are all Tigers. I've heard they're all Gators.

The thing about recruiting that makes it so fun and frustrating is that kids minds are almost never fully made up until they sign on the dotted line.

I can say that Vern, Will Grier and Quincy serving as hosts bodes well for those young men's interest in being a Gator.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
KCgator;n158482 said:
Didn't see this posted:
Official visits can last no longer than 48 hours on a college campus for recruits, but five-star defensive end Byron Cowart only spent a fourth of that time at Florida this weekend.
Cowart, who is ranked the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect by ESPN and Rivals, didn’t arrive in Gainesville for his official visit until shortly after midnight Saturday due to his basketball game Friday night.
But less than 12 hours later, Cowart and his mother left for Tampa at noon. According to ESPN’s Derek Tyson, his mom was called in to work.
Calls and texts made to Cowart by The Sun were not immediately returned Saturday. Tyson and sources close to The Sun said Cowart told the UF coaching staff heading into the weekend there was a chance his trip would be cut short.
Now, Cowart could have chosen to stay in Gainesville despite his mother having to leave early and just got a ride back home Sunday. However, he told The Sun beforehand his only reason for taking the visit was his mom.
Sources told The Sun his mother spent all morning with the coaches Saturday, much like they on the first day of the contact period. Once her meeting was finished and she had to go in to work, perhaps Cowart felt he didn’t need to stay.
There’s no denying it would have been beneficial for Florida to have him on campus all weekend, and that missed time could hurt Jim McElwain and his staff down the stretch. But his early departure from the visit doesn’t appear to be a result of him or his mom not enjoying their trip.

From GSun and Zach
Again, I'm not worried about Cowart. He doesn't bring his mom at all if he's not interested.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
GatorTAG;n158473 said:
Lot's of teams have coaching turnover. We've had coaching turnovers in the past. It's never been this quiet. It's TOO quiet. Harbaugh's only been on the job a few weeks and he's already flipping guys at a place that's much harder to recruit than UF. I'm not buying the "recruits have to get to know the coaches" line any more. You can't tell me the 3 star guys we've been inviting in are weaiting for a better offer.

The difference is the Harbaugh factor. Harbaugh did good things in college and did good things in the pros before deciding to come back to college. He is a name that recruits know and feel like he knows what it would take to make the future NFLers. We hired an up and comer will probably do good things but hasn't had the time yet to make his name known. If Michigan hired an up and comer as we did you wouldn't hear a peep out of their recruiting yet but that's not the case.

What surprises me more is how recruits don't seem to have that hatred they once did. They will walk around in Noles gear one day, Gators the next and then Miami the day after that. It feels like most have lost that school loyalty where even if you grew up loving one school but didn't go there you sure as dookie weren't going to the rival. Nowadays it's like these kids are raised neutral and whoever can put the best recruiting press on them or who's having the most success right now will be the school. Is this something I just hadn't noticed before that everyone else has?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I need a tweeterfacebookskypeemail translator. That being said, chill out, we bees fine.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n158460 said:
If there are still no commits after this weekend I think that will be great news. That will confirm to me that these guys are coordinating the big NSD coup. There's just no way things would continue to be so quiet. You would have to believe McElwain is the worst recruiter in the world to not land a single recruit over the past 2 weekends with all the playing time he has to offer. And if he can't recruit we've got a lot bigger problems than what Muschamp left us. If today is uneventful I'm happy.

Soooo....no commitments is now good news? Sorry, but all this talk of a NSD barrage of signings is nothing more than wishful thinking. If we don't get some kids committed before then it's real simple...we're screwed this year and will be feeling the effects for several years to come.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
James Bates @jb8sy: When I was your age, we didn't decommit on Twitter... Actually...We didn't even decommit.

GatorBenji

Sep 6, 2014
MJMGator;n158498 said:
Soooo....no commitments is now good news? Sorry, but all this talk of a NSD barrage of signings is nothing more than wishful thinking. If we don't get some kids committed before then it's real simple...we're screwed this year and will be feeling the effects for several years to come.
Looking more like this each and every day.

Well Sunday isn't over yet, so we could still get someone

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
MJMGator;n158498 said:
Well then that makes McElwain the worst recruiter in the world. He's pathetic if he can't get a 3 star kid from Florida to come play for him. We are in deep doo doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator