Attachments

• conv_1949.GIF
    conv_1949.GIF
    163.9 KB · Views: 25

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
So I'm guessing there was never a clause in WM's contract saying he can't pursue our recruits

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Original DC;n151450 said:
If he pulls this scenario off, one where UF comes from absolutely nowhere and catapults into a top 10 class, and that was by his design, well, it'll be genius and I'll be more than impressed. But right now, I'm worried about this class.

I don't see quite that happening. I do still believe this class can be decent and break into the 20's, possibly teens. But in any event, I'm 100% sure that there is no such strategy being employed here. McElwain's a smart guy, and understands recruiting and the momentum involved. If someone is a Gator, he's not going to keep them quiet about it. We need a major push to muster a decent class, and at this point, I think it's acceptable to be concerned. That being said, he was put in a terrible spot because of the previous staff and is doing all that anyone could.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If he pulls this scenario off, one where UF comes from absolutely nowhere and catapults into a top 10 class, and that was by his design, well, it'll be genius and I'll be more than impressed. But right now, I'm worried about this class.
The problem with this thinking is that it makes it too late for that momentum to affect a large number of recruits. Many of them will already be signed off from early that morning, and the rest are unlikely to do a 180 at the very last minute just because they see a couple big names commit. More realistically, we need some big guys to commit now (or soon) so that they can be part of what Coach Mac and his staff can sell to other players. We need that momentum prior to signing day so that it can actually have an impact. Just my 2 cents.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
^This is what I'm hoping. I know we're in a coaching transition which would explain things being slow. But dang, I've never seen things this quiet. It's not like we're Georgia State University. We're the frickin University of Florida. We get recruits just for that. So something tells me somethings else is up. And I think McElwain is pulling a coup to make UF the talk of the offseason and put us back in our righteous place among college football royalty.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
PhD Gator;n151474 said:
The problem with this thinking is that it makes it too late for that momentum to affect a large number of recruits. Many of them will already be signed off from early that morning, and the rest are unlikely to do a 180 at the very last minute just because they see a couple big names commit. More realistically, we need some big guys to commit now (or soon) so that they can be part of what Coach Mac and his staff can sell to other players. We need that momentum prior to signing day so that it can actually have an impact. Just my 2 cents.

Unless the big names are telling others where they are going ahead of time and the only people being surprised are the people reporting the news...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n151464 said:
So I'm guessing there was never a clause in WM's contract saying he can't pursue our recruits

I thought it said he could not pursue any of our recruits that Auburn wasn't already pursuing...

Gator Wray

Big Member
Nov 21, 2014
PhD Gator;n151474 said:

Word is that other players already know where their teammates are heading.... Don't you think Ivey, Cowart & Jefferson talk/txt Daily?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
alcoholica;n151456 said:
3308641.jpg

Where's #5?

Gator Wray

Big Member
Nov 21, 2014
ATXGator;n151491 said:
Unless the big names are telling others where they are going ahead of time and the only people being surprised are the people reporting the news...

These guys want the big News Spotlight for their "HatDance". I think that's why they do it. It gets people talking about them.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorTAG;n151485 said:
^This is what I'm hoping. I know we're in a coaching transition which would explain things being slow. But dang, I've never seen things this quiet. It's not like we're Georgia State University. We're the frickin University of Florida. We get recruits just for that. So something tells me somethings else is up. And I think McElwain is pulling a coup to make UF the talk of the offseason and put us back in our righteous place among college football royalty.

You're underestimating the damage caused by the previous staff and the past couple of years. You don't just magically rebound in the mind of a recruit. And I'm not singling you out, because I too probably down played it a bit. Yes, we're the University of Florida, but that has been more of a negative than a positive for most of the past 4 years. The reason Meyer was able to step right in, create excitement, and pull out a pretty good 2005 class, is that we hadn't let Zook--and by extension UF--bottom out. We were UF, and just needed a fresh face. Not the case this time. I'd venture to say 75% of the bigger names essentially wrote us off after 2013, and were only willing to reconsider if it turned out to be a fluke year and we rebounded this past fall. That didn't happen. That's why we're losing New Smyrna kids to Arkansas. They were basically lost a year ago. And that's not even factoring in that the coach who some had developed a relationship with is now actively recruiting against us--swell guy that he is.

Only thing we can do now is hope some chips fall our way, and make do with what we have. JM, kind of like Spurrier in '90, is going to have turn our players into winners, and UF back into a place kid want to play.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
PhD Gator;n151474 said:
Under your scenario you are correct, it wouldn't work if you are try to flip guys on signing day. I'm saying McElwain already has 8-10 silent commits and has instructed them to just stay silent until signing day. We know there were a number of guys that wanted to be Gators (Ivey, Cowart, CeCe, Adonis, Ryan Davis) but were just waiting to see what happened this year and how things were going to shake out. Well things have shaken out and Muschamp has been gone for a month. Yet we haven't had a single person commit (OK 1)You're telling me the University of Florida can't get more kids to come play footbal than that. Especially with the glaring holes in our roster. C'mon man! Somethings up.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Wray;n151496 said:
These guys want the big News Spotlight for their "HatDance". I think that's why they do it. It gets people talking about them.

I agree... they want the 5 minutes of fame.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n151515 said:
It's unbelievable. He creates a disaster and then uses it to recruit against us. Anyone who even remotely defends this pos should be banned for life.
Yeah, it's pretty damn bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator