Open receivers at LSU game

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
So I happened to be listening to local news radio today, and in Sports, they played an excerpt of the Tuesday Les Miles press conference.
In it, Les talked about what a few LSU fans noticed at the game, and apparently the press. In their words, the LSU defense has major pass coverage problems.
Questions posed to Les were in regard to specifically better pass protection in upcoming games as there were many times, open receivers that fortunately were not thrown to when they played UF.

Again, this is almost verbatim question/answer topic.

I bring this up a I have read many threads on the game and this comment was made here and there.

Confirmation? Validation? Admission by the opposing team?

Seems we missed some opportunities. Whatever, just passing this on.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
STFU and stop trying to blame Treon. You'll piss off some folks around here.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Most in the chatterbox noticed this. Grier hits those guys no doubt. But still not reason we lost.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;300702 said:
STFU and stop trying to blame Treon. You'll piss off some folks around here.

Harris is obviously not as good as Grier. Since you continue to beat the drum, what do you expect Coach Mac to do? Should he not start Harris?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n300705 said:
Harris is obviously not as good as Grier. Since you continue to beat the drum, what do you expect Coach Mac to do? Should he not start Harris?

The only drum I'm beating is the one that disagrees with those who continue to think Harris didn't have a role in the loss. You are right, he isn't as good as Grier. Matter of fact, I think he's terribly slow, can't process information fast enough and playing the wrong position at this level. It's just idiotic to think he didn't have anything to do with our loss to LSU.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Let's just start Josh Grady or Jacob Guy then. Treon played about as good as possible in one of the most hostile environments in the country and only have a week to prepare. We knew he wasn't as fast reading defenses as Grier.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It is not my intention to start a board fight. The OP is just information/revelation/data. The opposing team saw breakdowns in their own schemes that the opponent could have exploited.

My personal opinion is that the guy played as good as he could given the suddenness and circumstances. At least he did not throw a pick.
No, I cut him slack. If any ire should be raised, it would be at Grier for putting the team in this spot. Harris gets a learning curve 'pass' for a few games from me.

But facts are facts. A better QB may have won that game is all. By objective measure and data (OP), the case is made in the affirmative.
For me, I do not believe he "lost the game". he just didn't 'win' the game. Grier maybe wins this game is all. Thing is, I'm not really burdening him with those expectations yet.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Treon is the best we have left and no we shouldn't start anyone but him...but yeah he is way to slow at processing the play to thrive at this level. By the time he recognizes somebody is open it's too late unless they are wide open...if he sees them at all. But again he is the best we have left and hopefully they can coach him up and/or modify the offense slightly to better fit his game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n300699 said:
So I happened to be listening to local news radio today, and in Sports, they played an excerpt of the Tuesday Les Miles press conference.
In it, Les talked about what a few LSU fans noticed at the game, and apparently the press. In their words, the LSU defense has major pass coverage problems.
Questions posed to Les were in regard to specifically better pass protection in upcoming games as there were many times, open receivers that fortunately were not thrown to when they played UF.
Yeah, lotsa the same against ECU, UK, and Mizzu. Other than against Ole Miss and the 4th Quarter at Tinerc, none of our QBs have been hitting open receivers.

I don't blame the QBs as much as the OL. They just don't have time. I have always said I thought Grier would be the guy and obviously his height and lightning quick release are big advantages. That being said, we just have to block better and focus on quick routes because none of our QBs have had any time back there. Grier has been much better about hitting the short routes and the guys that pop open after he scrambles a bit.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n300707 said:
The only drum I'm beating is the one that disagrees with those who continue to think Harris didn't have a role in the loss. You are right, he isn't as good as Grier. Matter of fact, I think he's terribly slow, can't process information fast enough and playing the wrong position at this level. It's just idiotic to think he didn't have anything to do with our loss to LSU.

Grier becoming ineligible is the only reason Treon was out there. Who shoulders the blame for that?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
:headscratch: I'm a little confused. Where they discussing our open receivers or theirs? When you mentioned their pass protection, you lost me.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
MJMGator;n300725 said:
:headscratch: I'm a little confused. Where they discussing our open receivers or theirs? When you mentioned their pass protection, you lost me.

I can see why, its confusing I hard time shifting from their perspective and writing it, to native perspective and writing...

to be clear, this was all about their lack of pass D and how they let our receivers uncovered and open.

Les addressed it fully and spent a thoughtful time on it as though it were a serious subject, and said he would get it 'corrected'.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The coaches screwed Harris. Not punting on 4th and 14 with 3:30 on the clock plus one TO was fuking stupid. Sure enough we got the ball back with enough time to score, unfortunately it was on the 8 yard line, not the 45.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorious;n300712 said:
It is not my intention to start a board fight. The OP is just information/revelation/data. The opposing team saw breakdowns in their own schemes that the opponent could have exploited.

My personal opinion is that the guy played as good as he could given the suddenness and circumstances. At least he did not throw a pick.
No, I cut him slack. If any ire should be raised, it would be at Grier for putting the team in this spot. Harris gets a learning curve 'pass' for a few games from me.

But facts are facts. A better QB may have won that game is all. By objective measure and data (OP), the case is made in the affirmative.
For me, I do not believe he "lost the game". he just didn't 'win' the game. Grier maybe wins this game is all. Thing is, I'm not really burdening him with those expectations yet.
Similar to how Mac gets a pass this season (although he will obviously pass almost everyone's expectations)

It was a team loss, yes we would of held the ball more, maybe got in scoring range for Hardin to try some field goals had he hit those open receivers. All speculation, maybe he hits that open receiver and while running they strip the ball from him.. moving on, he seemed to miss the crossing pattern underneath a lot and the back slipping out of the backfield. These are all things that Mac and staff will show him on film and coach him up, by the end of year when we get to Atlanta he'll be moving the team up and down the field like a true sophomore.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't see much changing before the end of the year. Both Treon and Grier have missed open guys throughout this season.....One, their both young QB's. Two, we have a sketchy patchwork offensive line that cannot make anyone respect our run game, and Three, Harris's physical limitations(height) seem to make a consistent short passing game, which takes the place of our run game, difficult to operate.
All that being said Harris usually doesn't turn the ball over, can move the sticks with his legs occasionally and has the knack for hitting a couple of deep balls every game....It is what it is fellas, we're going to have to gut out the rest of the games this year and I think Treon will help us finish out with a few more wins.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
What bothered me is how bad Treon was from the pocket. He didn't go through his progressions at all in that game. Blackledge mentioned it repeatedly. He stared down his first read until he got open or the protection broke down. He needs to be rolled out which is why they did so throughout that game. I don't expect him to improve much at all. He is in his second year as a starter. If he is still staring guys down like that, I expect little improvement if any at all.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law said it, I'll just pile on because I'm excited àbout the future.

This offense of Mac's has so many things going on that receivers are getting open like I haven't seen since early days of Fun -n- Gun. They take some time to develop though, and our incredibly young and porous O-line just can't hold up, and those beautiful wide open pass patterns get wasted while the QB (it doesn't matter which one) has to start scrambling and the play breaks down.

If our O-line can just grow up enough to give the QB another Mississippi....holy crap is this going to be fun to watch.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n300776 said:
What bothered me is how bad Treon was from the pocket. He didn't go through his progressions at all in that game. Blackledge mentioned it repeatedly. He stared down his first read until he got open or the protection broke down. He needs to be rolled out which is why they did so throughout that game. I don't expect him to improve much at all. He is in his second year as a starter. If he is still staring guys down like that, I expect little improvement if any at all.

Pretty much all of this. Watching the replay right now on ESPN2 and it's just baffling. Black ledge also talking over and over about how Treon just needs to step up in the pocket and trust it. Things break down or pressure is made and he just rolls out rather than step up in the damn pocket.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Treon had one week of practice with the first team. Grier had been practicing in this offense for a while. Treon gets more experience in the offense every week and will improve his ability to go through progressions faster

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator