Napier watching the mid off between Mertz and Miller last night:

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, out of everyone and anyone on this board you need laid the most. I have had hopes for a good season but after watching our offense last night its not easy to feel confident. I guess having a discussion on this board is no longer acceptable.
From certain members, yes.

If the offense had kicked ass, you and your ilk would be bitching about how awful the defense is going to be. And vice versa, etc. You can’t “win” a meaningless spring game. Making any projections on the season based on this “game” is absurd and even our slower members know it.

I’ve said I think our offense and our defense will be better next season. I have no idea how many wins that will translate into.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
From certain members, yes.

If the offense had kicked ass, you and your ilk would be bitching about how awful the defense is going to be. And vice versa, etc. You can’t “win” a meaningless spring game. Making any projections on the season based on this “game” is absurd and even our slower members know it.

I’ve said I think our offense and our defense will be better next season. I have no idea how many wins that will translate into.
You act like I have been bitching about everything. Anyone who even comes close to disagreeing with you is bitching and needs to get laid. If the offense had kicked ass I would have more hope than I already had. God forbid we have concerns about the upcoming season.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Funny that 2bits wants me banned for asking ox if he watched the game. Is that a taboo question?
I meant to hit "like" but all my damn reactions are either missing or messed upI Someone forgot to pay the bills around here.

1681475426874.png

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That's true on both counts. We're in total agreement here.

I'm going to enjoy this season, can't wait.
Glad that makes one of us. You don't have to go back very far to get an idea of what our offense is going to look like with the QB room we currently have. I know you want to pump away but we don't have anyone that can throw the damn ball or run a balanced offense. Im not going to even harp on the fact that this was the lowest-scoring spring game in UF history....nothing has changed from 12/17/22 until now and we know what a Richardson-less offense looks like!

1681475740746.png

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll expect 6-7 wins with Mertz or Miller

Get me a solid transfer QB (McCall or somebody like that) and I’ll be excited. Think we’ve got some pieces in place to do some damage. With no Toney, Dean and Torrence, + added DL depth, we have to be better on defense.

Just missing the most important position on the team right now

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Positives: Defense looked impressive. It looks to have size and speed. The worst tackling team I have ever seen now looks like that is a thing of the past. This unit will be a strength.

Running backs look to be a strength. Etiene and Johnson looked even better. T. Webb is the real deal.

Receivers have speed. Some of these guys can fly. Great potential with this unit.

Negatives:

OL was atrocious. However 5 OL were out (including Conner who left the team) so not sure they are nearly as bad as they looked. Starting center was out and backups had 7 bad snaps.

QB’s were mediocre. Mertz had some bad throws while on the run. Not sure how much the OL bad performance affected their overall play.

Overall it was an underwhelming game but the defense did look impressive.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
30-3. That's the sour note left on Napier's first season. Anyone wanting to know where the typical fan's heat gauge lies need look no further. It was going to take a whole lot more spark than provided by last night's snooze fest to create a feel-good vibe.

Spring games are essentially meaningless in that the pluses are negated by the atmosphere of constraint and self-competition. The tag football pass rush looked good? Uh, wasn't the offensive line one of our bigger issues? And so on.

Napier's going to test people's patience. We knew that going in. He's a builder, inch by agonizing inch. What we still don't know is how much of a fixer he might be. So far, so-so. That's not what a typical Florida fan wants to hear, and certainly not after a 6-7 season punctuated by 30-3.

The honeymoon's over and Mullen's handprints on the roster are fading. Only wins, emphasis on important wins, can block the noise. I'm not sure they will come quick enough.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
30-3. That's the sour note left on Napier's first season. Anyone wanting to know where the typical fan's heat gauge lies need look no further. It was going to take a whole lot more spark than provided by last night's snooze fest to create a feel-good vibe.

Spring games are essentially meaningless in that the pluses are negated by the atmosphere of constraint and self-competition. The tag football pass rush looked good? Uh, wasn't the offensive line one of our bigger issues? And so on.

When I don’t see quick routes to beat the blitzes and still don’t see much in the way of route combos that are coverage beaters for zone or pick type routes to beat man, that’s a concern beyond personnel. When I see that f#%^ing 2 man downfield with one guy in the flat (one time we did an out route instead) play (several times last night including Miller’s grounding a ball by TCB at the end of the 1st quarter), again, not a QB/OL/WR issue.

Austin Armstrong started the game calling it like Oregon State did (8-9 men in the box and lots of blitzing). Then he called off the dogs. Other teams will not. At least 1 “sack” early was on Etienne whiffing on a block (in the OL’s defense).

Maybe, I’m crazy on believing the biggest thing missing on offense is a better passing scheme (history currently of finishing 88, 78, 43, 93, 62, 85, 78, and 77 nationally) that helps our QB’s, OL, TE, RB and receivers.

I like Nape a lot with all his off the field stuff and I like his running game. I want him to succeed. I also am not going to not say there’s a problem if I see one.

MooseSmack

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Napier's going to test people's patience. We knew that going in. He's a builder, inch by agonizing inch. What we still don't know is how much of a fixer he might be. So far, so-so. That's not what a typical Florida fan wants to hear, and certainly not after a 6-7 season punctuated by 30-3.

The honeymoon's over and Mullen's handprints on the roster are fading. Only wins, emphasis on important wins, can block the noise. I'm not sure they will come quick enough.
Sorry that was supposed to be a like but the buttons are all obscured. Sorry

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
When I don’t see quick routes to beat the blitzes and still don’t see much in the way of route combos that are coverage beaters for zone or pick type routes to beat man, that’s a concern beyond personnel. When I see that f#%^ing 2 man downfield with one guy in the flat (one time we did an out route instead) play (several times last night including Miller’s grounding a ball by TCB at the end of the 1st quarter), again, not a QB/OL/WR issue.

Austin Armstrong started the game calling it like Oregon State did (8-9 men in the box and lots of blitzing). Then he called off the dogs. Other teams will not. At least 1 “sack” early was on Etienne whiffing on a block (in the OL’s defense).

Maybe, I’m crazy on believing the biggest thing missing on offense is a better passing scheme (history currently of finishing 88, 78, 43, 93, 62, 85, 78, and 77 nationally) that helps our QB’s, OL, TE, RB and receivers.

I like Nape a lot with all his off the field stuff and I like his running game. I want him to succeed. I also am not going to not say there’s a problem if I see one.

Napier says all the right things and there's no argument that he has hit the recruiting trail hard and has built a ton of positive momentum there after years of mediocre and disinterested results from our past coaches.

And when he said "we'll reevaluate everything in the off-season" that gave me hope he would identify key issues that failed him. One was DC---and he took care of that. But one glaringly obvious issue was the lack of a OC and QB coach. I really can't understand why Napier can't step back and see "hey, the offense and the QB struggled at times last year--maybe we bring in someone else." Especially when his offenses have not ever set the world alight, Florida has historically been an offense-minded program, and the college game now **requires** one to have a dynamic and explosive offense in order to win. Bama in 2020, 21, and 22 doesn't win with defense-only, they've been winning with their offense in addition to being defensively sound. Same with OSU, georgia, and Clemson in recent years.

Ox said he wasn't sure if Napier would succeed, but he was confident that he wouldn't fail for the same reasons our last coaches failed. But while I expect all coaches to have their egos and blind spots, it's troubling to me to see Napier being pigheaded on a blindingly obvious weak point in the program and refusing to do anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.