Game Thread Orange & Blue Game

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When I don’t see quick routes to beat the blitzes and still don’t see much in the way of route combos that are coverage beaters for zone or pick type routes to beat man, that’s a concern beyond personnel. When I see that f#%^ing 2 man downfield with one guy in the flat (one time we did an out route instead) play (several times last night including Miller’s grounding a ball by TCB at the end of the 1st quarter), again, not a QB/OL/WR issue.

Austin Armstrong started the game calling it like Oregon State did (8-9 men in the box and lots of blitzing). Then he called off the dogs. Other teams will not. At least 1 “sack” early was on Etienne whiffing on a block (in the OL’s defense).

Maybe, I’m crazy on believing the biggest thing missing on offense is a better passing scheme (history currently of finishing 88, 78, 43, 93, 62, 85, 78, and 77 nationally) that helps our QB’s, OL, TE, RB and receivers.

I like Nape a lot with all his off the field stuff and I like his running game. I want him to succeed. I also am not going to not say there’s a problem if I see one.

That's what I alluded to when I made reference to fixer. He's been spotty at best and downright questionable in clock management.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I’ve seen a few comments that our QBs are mediocre. They are not. They’re bad. Each were very late in reads, which they made up for with weak, off-target throws.

But, I’m going with Billy is a genius. Austin Simmons was in attendance and pondering coming in early. Usually, especially with missing OL starters, the defense doesn’t get creative in a spring game or blitz at all. We did though all night to Chris Doering’s constant bitching (sounded like I imagine Ox was watching the game last night).

Then, the only QB who seemed to throw on time or had any juice got only 2 series to not scare away Simmons.

Simmons has to know now that if he comes here, he is starting at home against Tennessee if not the prior game. Again, we are worried about this game, Billy may have just locked in his 2023 QB.

If that is not the case, we may be looking at 4 wins unless the defense can average 3.5 turnovers scoring 12 pts of their own per game.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
That's what I alluded to when I made reference to fixer. He's been spotty at best and downright questionable in clock management.

We will have to wait until August for clock management questions for sure.

I’m going to Utah. I’d be shocked if I see a win, I know Rising is on the mend, but they return a lot. After that, my rules for the season are

1. Can’t go winless against rivals again
2. Can’t lose to UK/Vandy
3. Can’t have a losing season (this includes 6-7).
4. Can’t be a 70+ passing offense in the nation.
5. Top 70 defense, top 50 in 3rd down%.

Someone let me know if that’s unreasonable.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
And I really, really, really have to question Napier's pursuit of Mertz when much better QBs were available in the transfer portal.

Mertz was a middling QB in the Big 10 with almost as many career INTs as TDs; a tendency to stare down WRs; and a weak arm.

Sure, some people need a change of scenery to thrive--and with better weapons or OL, they'll be much better.

...but yea, Mertz isn't that guy. The tape pretty conclusively shows who he is and putting him here (with better WRs and RBs) isn't magically going to turn him into a Brady or Burrow.

Go to the boosters and tell them "want a better record next year? We need a xfer QB for a year or 2 until one of the incoming 5* are ready--bust out a multimillion NIL deal and let's make it happen." They'll do it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Glad that makes one of us. You don't have to go back very far to get an idea of what our offense is going to look like with the QB room we currently have. I know you want to pump away but we don't have anyone that can throw the damn ball or run a balanced offense. Im not going to even harp on the fact that this was the lowest-scoring spring game in UF history....nothing has changed from 12/17/22 until now and we know what a Richardson-less offense looks like!

View attachment 56692
Looking forward to seeing you triggered after every first down this year. We’re going to have to check on you after wins.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And I really, really, really have to question Napier's pursuit of Mertz when much better QBs were available in the transfer portal.

Mertz was a middling QB in the Big 10 with almost as many career INTs as TDs; a tendency to stare down WRs; and a weak arm.

Sure, some people need a change of scenery to thrive--and with better weapons or OL, they'll be much better.

...but yea, Mertz isn't that guy. The tape pretty conclusively shows who he is and putting him here (with better WRs and RBs) isn't magically going to turn him into a Brady or Burrow.

Go to the boosters and tell them "want a better record next year? We need a xfer QB for a year or 2 until one of the incoming 5* are ready--bust out a multimillion NIL deal and let's make it happen." They'll do it.
I mostly agree with this, but we don't really know whether he actually thought Mertz was the guy or if that was just coach speak after missing on the others.

That all went down before we fixed the state's bad NIL legislation and I'm hoping that was the issue wooing the bigger names.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve seen a few comments that our QBs are mediocre. They are not. They’re bad. Each were very late in reads, which they made up for with weak, off-target throws.

But, I’m going with Billy is a genius. Austin Simmons was in attendance and pondering coming in early. Usually, especially with missing OL starters, the defense doesn’t get creative in a spring game or blitz at all. We did though all night to Chris Doering’s constant bitching (sounded like I imagine Ox was watching the game last night).

Then, the only QB who seemed to throw on time or had any juice got only 2 series to not scare away Simmons.

Simmons has to know now that if he comes here, he is starting at home against Tennessee if not the prior game. Again, we are worried about this game, Billy may have just locked in his 2023 QB.

If that is not the case, we may be looking at 4 wins unless the defense can average 3.5 turnovers scoring 12 pts of their own per game.

To your point on not wanting to scare anyone away, while I think it’s somewhat in jest, you could definitely make that argument. Probably the best pass I saw all night was a deep pass from Brown that was slightly overthrown. Incompletions are incompletions, but at least where the ball was placed it was our guy or no one. Every other pass I saw beyond 20 yards was so underthrown you’d swear it was one of us here throwing it. Pretty sure that was his last throw of the night. But MB at least looked like a guy who could become solid. Mertz is average, with nerve a chance to improve and be good. Miller should’ve quit football decades ago.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
It was really nice to see all the quick slants to receivers in motion designed to keep a D honest :(

Special teams……. OL was putrid, but when you take a thin group and split them up, I don’t know what else you could get. Hopefully with healthy starters playing together they can get some consistency. All the backs in the world won’t matter if the DL is 2 yards deep before the handoff. Been there done that.

Waiting to see what the D looks like against da Utes.

OT thoughts, Dez and I are clearly on the same diet plan, Billy needs to lay off the CBN oil and switch to redbull :)

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Mannnnn... throw in the wig and fleshlight options and I'd grab ahold of those ears and dome fuk the schit outta R2D2!
FkOBQzOUYAEwB13.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Glad that makes one of us. You don't have to go back very far to get an idea of what our offense is going to look like with the QB room we currently have. I know you want to pump away but we don't have anyone that can throw the damn ball or run a balanced offense. Im not going to even harp on the fact that this was the lowest-scoring spring game in UF history....nothing has changed from 12/17/22 until now and we know what a Richardson-less offense looks like!

View attachment 56692
Was the score really only 30-3? It seemed so much worse than that.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.