Patriots under investigation from NFL

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n154024 said:
I didn't read the link, but I thought the NFL handled the neutral equipment and relegated the team equipment.

After the Seattle Dallas playoff game years ago and the complaints the ball was slicked down I know they took some control away from the home team and gave it to the NFL during the game. Do the teams pick some balls prior to the game and at halftime and then give them back to an official now saying those are the ones they will use? I am trying to figure out when they could have deflated some if true.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n154027 said:
After the Seattle Dallas playoff game years ago and the complaints the ball was slicked down I know they took some control away from the home team and gave it to the NFL during the game. Do the teams pick some balls prior to the game and at halftime and then give them back to an official now saying those are the ones they will use? I am trying to figure out when they could have deflated some if true.

The Kicking ball is the only ball to my knowledge that is completely controlled by the NFL. The regular footballs are allowed to be "roughed" up by the teams before hand.

I can't remember if it was the NFC or AFC game yesterday, but play was stopped twice, because the kicking ball was "accidently" being used on the field and not a regular game ball.

As far as ball boys, does the home team determine "ball boys" or does each staff have one.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n154029 said:
The Kicking ball is the only ball to my knowledge that is completely controlled by the NFL. The regular footballs are allowed to be "roughed" up by the teams before hand.

I can't remember if it was the NFC or AFC game yesterday, but play was stopped twice, because the kicking ball was "accidently" being used on the field and not a regular game ball.

As far as ball boys, does the home team determine "ball boys" or does each staff have one.

Not sure on that last point.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know in college, each team has their own "ball boy" but I am unsure about pro.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here is what the rule says. Doesn't get specific about handling however.

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n154043 said:
Here is what the rule says. Doesn't get specific about handling however.

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

The kicking ball is slicker with the natural oils of the leather still covering it more, because it hasn't been "roughed up".

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n154038 said:
I know in college, each team has their own "ball boy" but I am unsure about pro.

The articles said they were taking away much of the home team control but didn't go into specifics that much. Knowing how routine it is it wouldn't surprise me if a team could get away with it possibly right after they are picked or something even if the NFL takes control of them after that.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n154047 said:
The kicking ball is slicker with the natural oils of the leather still covering it more, because it hasn't been "roughed up".

Had this argument before but that ball was slicker than any new ball. The HD showed a huge difference from the other kicked balls. This is about the Patriots however not that game from years ago.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
" The first official New England response to Deflate-gate -- the report that the NFL is investigating allegations that the Patriots deflated the footballs in their 45-7 trouncing of the Colts in Sunday's AFC Championship Game -- drew a hearty laugh. During his weekly appearance on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan Show, Tom Brady was asked by Kirk Minihane if he was aware of the controversy. The Pats' quarterback said he wasn't. When it was explained to him, Brady's reaction was . . .
A deep, hearty laugh.
"I think I've heard it all [now]," Brady said. "Oh, God. It's ridiculous . . .
"That's the last of my worries. I don't even respond to stuff like this."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brady probably said the same thing after spy gate.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n154051 said:
Had this argument before but that ball was slicker than any new ball. The HD showed a huge difference from the other kicked balls. This is about the Patriots however not that game from years ago.

I'm referring to the natural state of a new ball, it's a slicker ball until it is "roughed up". Not the 2006 Wildcard game. If a ball boy was throwing in a new "kicker" ball with the natural oils and rain, the ball would be harder to catch then just a regular ball. I remember when the rule changed about the kicking ball, a number of kickers complained because they couldn't rough it up and the holders had issues initially.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wobble is often called a ball boy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n154054 said:
I'm referring to the natural state of a new ball, it's a slicker ball until it is "roughed up". Not the 2006 Wildcard game. If a ball boy was throwing in a new "kicker" ball with the natural oils and rain, the ball would be harder to catch then just a regular ball. I remember when the rule changed about the kicking ball, a number of kickers complained because they couldn't rough it up and the holders had issues initially.

I wish there was an article explaining how all the footballs are handled now after the initial inspection.

granitegator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
the balls are inspected and in control of the refs 2 and 1/4 hours (i think that timeing is correct...its over 2 hours)...before the game....This was first reported by an Indianopolis tv reporter

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
granitegator;n154062 said:
the balls are inspected and in control of the refs 2 and 1/4 hours (i think that timeing is correct...its over 2 hours)...before the game....This was first reported by an Indianopolis tv reporter

What about during the game, that is where I believe the accusations are about.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
granitegator;n154062 said:

So is the official claiming they must have been lax and it was tampered with right before the NE people left or something to that affect or that they somehow did it right before it was put in play? We will probably never get the whole thing from the NFL unless they find them in violation which I doubt they do.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Funny thing is, Luck used the same ball as Brady. So they got their ass kicked, sour grapes by the losers. The better team won, just get over it. If anything, the refs didn't call any DB's of the Colts for obvious pass interference on numerous occasions & New England STILL caught the damn ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator