Pete Maravich at LSU

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I was looking at the Pistol's college stats. Let's just say it certainly helps to have your father as the head coach. :lol:

Untitled.png

44.2 PPG....without the 3 point line, mind you. That's also a staggering 38.1 shot attempts per game. Do you think his teammates were resentful of that? Coaches son gets to jack up 40 shots a night?

His FG%'s certainly aren't all that impressive, but I've heard he liked to jack it from the cheap seats. He was also a mediocre FT shooter for a guy that supposedly was one of the greatest shooters ever.

Discuss.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He dropped 70+ on Walt Frazier in the pros. Look up Walt Frazier. He could do things with a basketball you cannot even imagine. With a 3 pt line he averages about 54 a game. He had a congenital heart condition that should have killed him much younger. And it affected him physically so he always looked anemic. I saw him play UF in the old alligator alley. Greatest show on earth.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range would have been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The original white chocolate

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
You are right. There is a video of the game on youtube I think

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of the best ever. Phenomenal.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That was a different era. Pistol Pete would struggle making a juco roster in todays game

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That was a different era. Pistol Pete would struggle making a juco roster in todays game
How would today's superstars adapt to physical play, defense being played and not being allowed to take 4-5 steps on their way to an uncontested layup?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He could fill it up. Maybe as impressive was his ball handling and passing skills. I remember reading that he used to dribble out the window of the family car while riding down the road as part of his practice. Seems like I also remember the Globetrotters wanting him. Like Stephen said, he was the greatest show on earth for a while. And as for not being able to make a JUCO roster if he was around today, I'd say BS! Like Charlie Murphy once said about Prince (on an episode of Chappelle's show), "that Cat could ball!"

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Someone did the research and said with a 3 pt line, his ppg would have been near 50 a game. The record he has for ppg will never be broken.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Only basketball game I attended in fives years at Florida was to see Pistol Pete play in the Alley. Worth every penny of admission (of course admission was included in student fees). But he was good.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Pete put out a series of instructional videotapes. Mostly on ball handling exercises.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How would today's superstars adapt to physical play, defense being played and not being allowed to take 4-5 steps on their way to an uncontested layup?

Thank You for stating this.
It kills me when people compare players of the past to today's players without acknowledging the fact that the NBA no longer plays basketball. They play a similar game, I think, that focuses on entertainment and phony excitement to distract your attention from the fact that there are no rules to speak of only stars to gush over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator