Phil Steel projects UF nation's most improved

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
No, they quit in November of 2015, took the last three games off.

Some hereblamed Chimp and his NFL bound players.

I said at the time, once a team quits on a coach, boss, platoon leader, whatever, it is almost impossible tonget them back. He never did. They quit in November the next year too, then in September after the Meatchiken debacle.
Healthy talent matters. In 2015 at the end of the season that thin depth team (especially the thin OL) was beat to a pulp and had an untalented spread QB (Treon) in a pro style offense running for his life behind a decimated offensive line with one good WR Callaway who teams blanketed.

Of course teams loaded with healthy top talent (FSU and Bama) blew them out late season. Healthy talent matters.

Year 3 Michigan Mac failed play calling. His failure as a talent developer and recruiter caught up to him. ADD to that an NCAA leading suspensions and year 3 was toast. Of course the close games could have been won with the return of those suspended /injured players.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There you have it, folks. We've reached a climactic conclusion to this scintillating discussion.

Healthy talent matters.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The key point is losing three top players for a close game does matter. They did not quit as they were not allowed to play or were injured.
What close games would they have mattered in?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Healthy talent matters. In 2015 at the end of the season that thin depth team (especially the thin OL) was beat to a pulp and had an untalented spread QB (Treon) in a pro style offense running for his life behind a decimated offensive line with one good WR Callaway who teams blanketed.

Of course teams loaded with healthy top talent (FSU and Bama) blew them out late season. Healthy talent matters.

Year 3 Michigan Mac failed play calling. His failure as a talent developer and recruiter caught up to him. ADD to that an NCAA leading suspensions and year 3 was toast. Of course the close games could have been won with the return of those suspended /injured players.
I'm not sure why I keep wasting my time responding. Healthy talent matters WHEN YOU HAVE COMPETENT COACHING. In our particular situation, we had horrific coaching and as a result a roster of players who had quit. IN MY OPINION, none of those players we lost would have had an impact on our 2017 win-loss record. You may disagree. Good for you.

As far as an "axe to grind", you bet your ass I have one. However, that doesn't make me wrong. Jim McElwain is nothing more than a common thief who stole millions of dollars from the university.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I'm just curious: how many wins do you think UF would have had last year if the suspended/injured players could play?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
In hindsight we should all be happy. If having these missing players made us better, it may have prolonged us dumping Mac and we would be looking at another season of him crying and trying to complete a sentence while he smiles as he walks off the field after a 4 TD loss. I agree that he lost the team and having the missing players wouldn't have mattered much but either way, I am happy Mac is gone.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Ox
Kudoes on being honest that you have an ax to grind. I just try to be accurate in spite of the fact I also don't think Mac is a good coach.

We disagree on a hypothetical.

I believe if a game is close then small things can make a difference . I believe Callaway, Harris and Scarlett plus others are a big difference.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
In hindsight we should all be happy. If having these missing players made us better, it may have prolonged us dumping Mac and we would be looking at another season of him crying and trying to complete a sentence while he smiles as he walks off the field after a 4 TD loss. I agree that he lost the team and having the missing players wouldn't have mattered much but either way, I am happy Mac is gone.
Mac being gone is addition by subtraction.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Callaway as drafted, Harris wasn't suspended (reading is your friend), and a back being ranked by a non-NFL source in May to being the 6th best back, doesn't it make him an NFL player.

What axe to I have to grind? I just like pointing out your circular logic, which is funny to me. I like to fck with stupid people.
You must really love to fck with yourself.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Very interesting thread. After I suggested that the thoughts of the betting fraternity be consulted by seeing how the odds changed when the news broke, this thread went eerily quiet. Presumably everyone knew that the blow was considered significant at the time. Now the chorus resumes. A blind bovine did find a mouthful of cud with the"lost the team" meme. That might have been persuasive if settled on originally.
But here is an idea to enhance the site, Ox. Juxtapose posts from this thread with those from the recruiting thread. One saying talent doesn't matter at all, and the other saying talent is the only thing that does matter. Hilarious. Probably find the same poster with both positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator