Poll for best State of Florida QB ever

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How does Daunte Culpepper garner 96% of the vote against Tim Tebow? The polling must've been held at the Mall at Millenia.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Floridagator;n161620 said:
The only real issue I have with Winston at 2 is he almost seemed to be a one hit wonder. His second season had numerous issues. I can switch 2 and 3. Its really tough to really rank them because one thing can change the complexity of it all.
You mean like Culpepper in the NFL? Kelvin Benjamin was why Winston looked good. Randy Moss is why Culpepper looked good in the NFL. Those are rare talents at WR. Winston is a very average quraterback when you give him average wide receivers.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n161577 said:
Best football player playing the position of QB in CFB? Let me answer that question with this scenario and question....
It's 3rd and 5 in the 2nd half of a tough ass SEC contest.......see how I just eliminated the other choices:jerkit: ....and you need a 1st badly to regain or maintain, which was usually the case, who is your choice behind center???

Danny or Tebow, that's who.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Floridagator;n161591 said:
Im not even looking at the poll. If I had to go top 5 QBs in the state of Florida I would have. 1. Tebow 2. Winston 3. DannyW 4. Ken Dorsey 5. Charlie Ward
I may take heat for the 4 spot but the man went 38-2 as the UM starter. Say what you want, that is impressive. To be honest you could probably put him over Danny.

You should be banned for life.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorInGeorgia;n162125 said:
Danny or Tebow, that's who.

Don't get me wrong I loved having Danny but the way TT would pull something off in those situation whether it was a last second shovel pass, a perfect strike over the middle, a perfectly run option whether he kept or lateraled...oh and don't let me forget how many times he barely got a 1st down while dragging defenders or plowing through them. I've said it before and I truly believe that while Tebow might not have been the all time best QB in CFB he was the best 3rd down QB that I've ever seen in 50 years of watching CFB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n162256 said:
Don't get me wrong I loved having Danny
Yeah, Danny was pretty clutch too. In fact he rarely had third downs. When he did, he was pretty proficient at just throwing a long strike, getting us up by 35 at half time, and sitting on the bench about half way through the third quarter.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n162256 said:
Don't get me wrong I loved having Danny but the way TT would pull something off in those situation whether it was a last second shovel pass, a perfect strike over the middle, a perfectly run option whether he kept or lateraled...oh and don't let me forget how many times he barely got a 1st down while dragging defenders or plowing through them. I've said it before and I truly believe that while Tebow might not have been the all time best QB in CFB he was the best 3rd down QB that I've ever seen in 50 years of watching CFB.

Yeah, Tebow was a stud no doubt. I've always been partial to Danny personally just because that was really the first time Gator football had acheived such levels of greatness and did so year after year (and not just as a one year type deal) and it was so enjoyable from a fan's perspective but either Danny or TT would be great choices...certainly much better than Jameis Winston.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n162462 said:
Yeah, Danny was pretty clutch too. In fact he rarely had third downs. When he did, he was pretty proficient at just throwing a long strike, getting us up by 35 at half time, and sitting on the bench about half way through the third quarter.

Danny was an early down assassin being directed by an evil minded genius of a play caller.....Rarely did those 2 ever let the scenario I outlined in my post play out, I'm not sure either knew or cared what TOP meant......Damned we were spoiled as fans. I will say though that the SEC was better as a whole during Tebow's years but Tebow never played Bowden and Andrews at their peak so maybe it's a draw between the 2.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n162462 said:
Agreed. I love TT but with some separation from the Timmy years I would agree that I'd take DW over any of them. DW might run like a wounded duck, but he was smart, accurate, quick release, and tough. Go back and watch the 96 FSU game. That was as much most punishment as I've ever seen a QB take and he was still standing tall in the pocket throwing strikes to the last whistle. To Law's point, there was a period in 95/96 the Gators average TOP on scoring drives was around 1.5 minutes. We got restless if 2 minutes went by and we hadn't scored. A "slow start" was 14 points in the first quarter and 28 points in the 2nd quarter was expected. Yea, we were spoiled.

As to Concrete's 3rd-and-5 question, I'd take DW. 3rd-and-3 and it might be Timmy time.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Law98gator;n162462 said:
The only time Danny faced 3rd down was when we started first and 25 because the refs detested SOS. Most of them were insurance salesman from jawja or aladambama. The amazing thing was how many times he got the first down from 1st and 20 or first and 25. I bet it is the record if anyone crunched it. I knew the fix was in against Vandy at Vandy. We had 10 penalties in the first half. Danny threw a pick. Two vandy players held him so it became a pick six. Danny was the only player with a chance so God and the world saw it. No flag fell. SOS best QB of all time. Danny and Timmy are tied.
but I will tell you a secret. When Rex was on nobody could touch him. Against the turtles in the orange bowl it looked like he was playing a BAD scout team. btw
phck all those refs that let their emotions screw with SOS.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.