POLL: How do you feel about the postponement of O'Connell Center renovations?

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=29941 Looks like they rushed the whole renovation process, so

• Good idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad idea

• Ham Sammich (added under protest)

• Total voters

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n183068 said:
Was this a swipe at me? :ban:

No it was a reference to the ACA website. After all OX you don't really do the technical work for this site, someone else has built the program.

Now my experience says management almost never admits that they can't meet a deadline and thus make a lot of errors. I think this decision is a good one.

But it would be funny if it was, I am not that funny!!!

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Someone should remind Foley .. “What should be done eventually, must be done immediately.”

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n183009 said:
Originally posted by t-gator View Post
Believe it or not basketball is watched. I know you're too cool to be a basketball fan but our basketball team has a very big following.

Call me when 94,000+ show up for a hoops game.

What if they are thinking of tearing it down rather than just renovating?

Call me when there's 94,000+ in the Swamp........

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is a curious story that naturally begs the question of why a $60 million project was slated to begin with the plans only 60% drawn. The only logical answer I can come up with is the reference to escalating costs. We're already financing two expensive coaching buyouts and an indoor practice facility, all the while football revenues are declining. I'd like to see a P&L on the athletic department right about now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the football revenues were on the upswing because of the tv contracts?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I referenced declining revenues, which is misleading. The last time I saw an audited summary, football revenues had increased but the pace was decelerating. $34 million was to be divvied up from the new TV deals along with the College Football Playoff, according to a January 2013 USA Today story.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I shouldn't have said anything I'm too dumb to comprehend that kinda stuff

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n183161 said:

Yours was a logical question. I don't think our share of the new TV money is nearly on par with what we bring in from tickets, concessions, naming rights, etc. I could be wrong.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
itsgr82bag8r;n183117 said:
Well, ya see, thats just the World's Greatest AD providing you with more legroom at the Swamp.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n183161 said:

t-gator;n183161 said:
Let me make it simple. If there are 20-30k empty seats, then we lost a metric shiit ton of money, give or take a few shiitts.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n183168 said:
Originally posted by itsgr82bag8r View Post

Well, ya see, thats just the World's Greatest AD providing you with more legroom at the Swamp.

:haters:

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a Foley fan, but at this point I hope he soon just rides off in to the sunset so some of you will stfu about him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They need to wait. Finish the IPF and give Mac what he needs. Ready for Spring Practice.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just hope this isn't a sign that BD told JF he's moving on at the end of the season.

It could be that the athletic department decided to hold off until they find a replacement, know that they'll still be competitive, and strong revenues will continue. I sure hope this isn't the case but it was my gut reaction/fear.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n183224 said:
I just hope this isn't a sign that BD told JF he's moving on at the end of the season.

It could be that the athletic department decided to hold off until they find a replacement, know that they'll still be competitive, and strong revenues will continue. I sure hope this isn't the case but it was my gut reaction/fear.

I thought the same thing initially. But with this season and how its turned out I think Donovan would stay and not wanting to leave it like this. Maybe the offers would be better chance to leave if his season was better. Teams may cool off a bit. But its BD, anything can happen. Just think he stays to make it right. At least I hope so.

Gator charm

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I hope that this is not because our great AD is concerned that our bball coach may leave after this season. Somehow, I want to blame this as another curse of the Lame Mushdog era....

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
[QUOTE='78;n183167]Yours was a logical question. I don't think our share of the new TV money is nearly on par with what we bring in from tickets, concessions, naming rights, etc. I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

First, it's the internet. Logical questions don't get answers, they get ridiculed.
Second, it's the internet. You are here, ergo you are wrong.

==============================

What i see is we had funding set for a 70 yd IPF, and we had funding set for O'Dome renovations. Suddenly we're going with a 100yd IPF, that means the existing plans have to be redrawn and cost (and schedule) are by default going to increase. I'm not sure where a change in the construction team may have come up, but I can see it happening, and with a change in leadership there is obviously a need to hit pause and re-evaluate direction.

Given the need to get Football back up in prominence, I can see the available funding being shifted to getting the IPF redesign done and built ASAP. So, not all the funding we had reserved is still available for the O'Dome. All sporting activities in the O'Dome have been run this year as planned, there isn't a collapsed roof or burst plumbing needing immediate attention, so let's push that off for a year while we get the IPF done. I can see that happening.

What I don't like is that we rob Peter to pay Paul, and kick Peter down the road a bit. It's business, but I would hope Foley would leverage the new football regime as a means of generating the funding needed for the football constructions and leave the basketball constructions funded and on track as planned. It's a minor gripe, but still a gripe I have on all this.

EDIT - voted Ham Sammich. We have to do both, and with limited funds a priority has to be assigned. I'm not in charge of that decision, so I Ham Sammich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator