Poll: How does the 2021 Gators football season play out?

How do you think our 2021 Gators football season plays out?

• 3-9 (5 losses and 4 Covid forfeits)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
read the first paragraph then sort of snoozed off. Granthams defenses have sucked his whole career, at every stop. You know it, I know it, butters dog Clarabelle knows it. None of us need stupid stats. The best his defense has ever been has still resulted in losing essentially every truly meaningful game he's coached. I couldn't care less that he pads some stats against garbage teams. When he plays the big boys, he chokes harder than t's mom on half price Tuesday at the velvet lounge.

I dozed off as I wrote it.

He’s no Stoops, Strong, Matteson or Quinn in terms of coaching, scheme or recruiting. That’s what we need at DC.

We’ll see if what we have produces one of his better defenses, in that top 15?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. But the virtual slap fights are annoying unless they are funny.
Noobs dont understand this. We will tolerate damn near anything so long as you are funny and interesting.

Even morons that arent aware that Grantham has sucked his entire career.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Noobs dont understand this. We will tolerate damn near anything so long as you are funny and interesting.

Even morons that arent aware that Grantham has sucked his entire career.

Would you hire Durkin as DC?

Edit: I would. He’s among the best assistants we’ve ever had. His special teams were special. He did really well as DC. And he is a charismatic recruiter. His Maryland tragedy has made him available but I don’t think should blacklist him, especially here where we know him. He is a compelling example of what could have been upgraded after last season’s defensive collapse.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The Gators were 12th in scoring defense and 11th against the run in 2019, 24th in scoring defense and 49th against the run in 2018 (the transition year.) Obviously 2020 was a complete meltdown. Greenard - 3* transfer - made a huge difference in 2019. Losing him & Zuniga in the first 2-3 plays vs. LSU was disastrous. That’s why we have 2 dozen (literally about 12) LB/DE Buck types. Much depends on whether any of them can terrorize QBs. Cox? Princely?

Add to that the fact that we have 9 DL over 300, 10 if you count that Watson takes up 2 seats in the room. Donk’s big butts are here, thanks to the transfer portal. Carter is a legit 285lb talented DE. Dexter is an insanely quick 300lb+ 6’6” guy to rush up the middle on passing plays.

I think we are solid at LB & will be fine at CB.

The biggest question is having that star who can play it like Chauncey. Next biggest are the Safeties. We can’t be any worse than the last few years. I think we will be better and helped a lot by the front 7.

Offensively, Mullen will move the ball & average at least 32ppg. His run game will work with our QBs and I look for Whittemore to emerge as a star. Im looking for Braun & White to lead the OL to improve.

Special teams haven’t been as special as they should be. We’ve had great punters and kickers, but coverage hasn’t been great and we haven’t blocked many. I expect that to continue, but maybe the punter & kicker are very good rather than excellent.

The most important games are 1. UGLY 2. UGA & 3. Georgia. I will join the HBC and say we’ve got a real chance to beat Bama, and I think we have a good shot at beating LSU. But UGA counts as 2 games.

So…the path is always the same.

Hold serve in the Swamp, win the ones we should on the road and split UGA & LSU. If we can win the ones we should and go 2-1 vs. the 3 big ones, 11-1. More likely 10-2 or 9-3. But I’m going to say 11-1.

Even 11-1 might not get us to Atlanta. UGA will be favored in every game they play, so as usual we must beat them. At least we get our toughest game at home. Beat them and hope they lose one they shouldn’t. (Come on Kirby! You can do it!!!)
You had me feeling pretty good about the defense until I realized it's still Grantham on the sideline taking 24 seconds to get to the right play and 26 seconds to substitute the players.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Would you hire Durkin as DC?

Edit: I would. He’s among the best assistants we’ve ever had. His special teams were special. He did really well as DC. And he is a charismatic recruiter. His Maryland tragedy has made him available but I don’t think should blacklist him, especially here where we know him. He is a compelling example of what could have been upgraded after last season’s defensive collapse.
yesterday, and with whatever figure he asked for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator