Post O&B Game look to the 2019 Gators

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
CONCERN = "Lack of Depth"

To me it's the main reason we are not UGA, Bama, Clemson...YET. They seem to have 3 players at every slot AND the #2s are only slightly behind #1

Sure, if we have 4 guys get injured we could be in trouble....

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think the best we are going to do this year is a be a spoiler for the teams on our roster who have a serious look at getting a ring. We are loaded at the skill positions on O but the OL is too young. We have good talent everywhere on D but we are lacking on the DL. Too many question marks on the LOS to even think it will be a big year. It really hurts because you can see the potential in what coach is building but missing talent and numbers on the LOS is like trying to bake a cake with all the ingredients except eggs.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
The condescend version. Rewatched it a couple times, focusing on Franks, Trask and EJ each time. Franks looks really good. I can't get over the interception Trask made early, but other than that he actually looked really good. EJ looked pretty good as well but it seemed like the pocket collapsed on him a whole lot more than on Trask or Franks.

Pitts is a beast.

Cleveland is really fast and is easily forgotten with the likes of Jefferson, Grimes and Pitts.

Peirce is a bowling ball. Perine is polished. Toney is being used more like he probably should be ... and there were not 50yd runs E and W for 2 yard gains.

OL is just sad. There were no big holes for the running backs and protection rarely lasted more than 2-3 seconds. Seems like teams will just give no room for our WRs, take away all the short stuff while letting a 4-5 man front put pressure on quick.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This has to make you appreciate Meyer all the more. He grabbed Tebow, Harvin, Hernandez and the Pouncey brothers all within a year of each other, not to mention Spikes, Haden and Black on defense.

Boom. Holes filled.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No offense to them, but would James Houston or Ventrell Miller start on a typical Gator D?

Miller was a stud in high school. One of the best linebackers in the nation. He can be a star. Houston was hurt his entire senior season. I think a torn ACL. I don’t know where he is as far as recovery and strength training.

I’ve read that Miller was dominating at times in the spring game. I don’t know because I haven’t watched it yet.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is going to sound like so much old school, but I really don't give a shyt about any recruit, five-star or three-star, until they've stepped on Florida Field and actually done something.

The reality of high school recruiting is, so much it is a crapshoot.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
This is going to sound like so much old school, but I really don't give a shyt about any recruit, five-star or three-star, until they've stepped on Florida Field and actually done something.

The reality of high school recruiting is, so much it is a crapshoot.

This is fairly true BUT in my HS there were always a few that were heads and shoulders above the rest.

I was not one of them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, if you watch a HS allstar game and see VH3 and Alex Anzalone standing out well above everyone else, you know what kind of talent you are getting.

Talent matters ALOT. It's why the champions like Creyer, Saban and Dabo fight tooth and nail for all those super elite kids.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, if you watch a HS allstar game and see VH3 and Alex Anzalone standing out well above everyone else, you know what kind of talent you are getting.

Talent matters ALOT. It's why the champions like Creyer, Saban and Dabo fight tooth and nail for all those super elite kids.
You misconstrued my post. I didn't negate the value of talent. I negated the value of assuming talent simply by ratings. You and I both know there are an array of variables that impact the transition from high school to college.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You misconstrued my post. I didn't negate the value of talent. I negated the value of assuming talent simply by ratings. You and I both know there are an array of variables that impact the transition from high school to college.
yeah, 5 stars still fail, as much as 50%. But 3 stars fail about 90%. It's why you hedge your bets as much as possible and of course need great coaching to coach them up.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
yeah, 5 stars still fail, as much as 50%. But 3 stars fail about 90%. It's why you hedge your bets as much as possible and of course need great coaching to coach them up.
I'm sure you pulled those percentages out of your ass, but as a talking point can we agree the margin of error is huge?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure you pulled those percentages out of your ass, but as a talking point can we agree the margin of error is huge?
Yeah, we played with it a while back but the sample was very small. And there was of course no way to control for coaching staff changes. Im not that dude on Gators Breakdown who apparently has every statistical tool available to man.

Even if you look at things like "drafted by NFL" the numbers were very very stark.

Some wanted to the play the "well so and so started" game but if you have a team full of 3 stars, of course SOMEONE has to start. But the numbers were somewhat interesting whether you made the criteria "all SEC or Hon Mention" "multi year starter"or "started" as the "successful" parameter.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, we played with it a while back but the sample was very small. And there was of course no way to control for coaching staff changes. Im not that dude on Gators Breakdown who apparently has every statistical tool available to man.

Even if you look at things like "drafted by NFL" the numbers were very very stark.

Some wanted to the play the "well so and so started" game but if you have a team full of 3 stars, of course SOMEONE has to start.
I'd like to see a statistical comparison of college misses to NFL misses. It has to be large in favor of college.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like to see a statistical comparison of college misses to NFL misses. It has to be large in favor of college.
I don't know that I've ever seen NFL miss stats. Of course most college players are NFL misses, there just aren't that many seats in the NFL w 50 man rosters. Sometimes luck and roster $$$ issues (there is a 3 to 5 year guy making more money who gets banged up cut to go with the cheaper backup).

Plus you are so far removed by that time. You'd almost have to predict who is going to have an NFL body or NFL skillset, making FF a 5 star and Tebow a 3 star.

That is specifically not what HS ratings are for.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know that I've ever seen NFL misses. Of course most college players are NFL misses. Plus you are so far removed by that time. You'd almost have to predict who is going to have an NFL body or NFL skillset, making FF a 5 star and Tebow a 3 star.

That is specifically not what HS ratings are for.
Not what I'm trying to say. I'm directing it at high school recruits and college draftees.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not what I'm trying to say. I'm directing it at high school recruits and college draftees.
Yeah, I have seen that. I don't know if I could find it.

Anyone?

Percentage of 5 stars that get drafted?
4 stars? etc

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rivals - NFL Draft: Crunching the numbers

kse22j3gn2foofchxal1

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, so the number of hs recruits who miss in college vs the number of NFL draft who miss in NFL? yeah, I don't know. yeah, no doubt it is far worse in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.