Powell beginning to blossom as slot receiver

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
https://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1796721

This article is pretty good. Seems to indicate the receivers are receiving better coaching now and there may be reason for optimism in the future. The Wide Receiver coach appears to be instilling more accountability among the receivers to catch the ball and make plays for the quarterback. Powell also alludes to the fact that the new system is a superior scheme and that the receivers ran a limited route tree last year, further indicting the ineptitude of the previous regime. Sounds promising.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good read, thanks. I wish Powell all the best and hope he is right!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nice.....hope the that the extra work is going to pay benefits.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Chris Leak was not ready to be a receivers coach. He got put into a position he wasn't ready for by Joker Phillips and Muschamp. Joker made a bad decision and Muschamp made another bad coaching move by putting somebody like Chris into a position he shouldn't be in. He should have gone out and hired a receivers coach. One of the many things that led to his welcomed downfall.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I beat a Dwayne Dixon drum on this. Really miss him. I hope this guy has a similar ability to coach them up in all phases of their position and they become fearsome instead of fearful.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n267609 said:
Chris Leak was not ready to be a receivers coach. He got put into a position he wasn't ready for by Joker Phillips and Muschamp. Joker made a bad decision and Muschamp made another bad coaching move by putting somebody like Chris into a position he shouldn't be in. He should have gone out and hired a receivers coach. One of the many things that led to his welcomed downfall.
That would of been the case had the dawg been interested in doing something other than running the ball and winning the TOP. it fit his vision just fine... Why do you think Harris got sat down after the opening game? He comes in and his throws a TD, next series another TD, that put the D back on the field, can't have that.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody assumes that Chris was the problem, but I bet that the concepts that were desired restrained him. After all he understood the offense that he ran and somehow that won a lot of games. Not to mention none of these things are secretes, even our posters could learn about them. Now what makes a coach great is that the players actually are motivated to do as they are coached.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n267609 said:
But, we didn't hire a receivers coach this time either. After very publicly striking out on WR coaches we hired a RB coach from football powerhouse FIU to be part of the best coaching staff in the history of forever. What makes you think this guy is ready to be a WR coach?

Besides, it wasn't Leak's fault. Think he doesn't know the route tree? Think Roper didn't? They purposefully dumbed down everything for the Big Dummy trying to find something he could do well. We took away the read from the read option because he couldn't do it. He admitted it in several interviews. We simplified the passing game trying to make it easy for Big Dummy. It's as simple as that.

As for smurfy slot receivers, I'm not a fan. They get blasted by LBs and knocked out for the month or season. I much prefer hybrid TE types in the slot.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Several things stand out about the WR position. Love Leak to death but there has been no consistency as that position the last 4 years. So what to do we have now.....a new coach and the stability will come from Mac and keeping a coach that will be in the position for some time. Now yeah was the guy from FIU, yeah. But what the heck did we have the last four years. So already we have an upgrade. How much of one, remains to be seen. If this guy is teaching discipline, connects with his players, and instills some continuity we are far better off than we've been. Sure it would help if he had coached WR in the past. Are we bad off since Tim Skipper coached LB's and now the RB coach? Part of being a coach is knowing how to coach. This is where WM failed miserably. So as it remains unseen how Dixon will do, one aspect we can look at is that he's there, he's coaching, and Mac will have a hand in what's going on. From that point, UF is far better off than what Asschamp had us in.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n267633 said:
But, we didn't hire a receivers coach this time either. After very publicly striking out on WR coaches we hired a RB coach from football powerhouse FIU to be part of the best coaching staff in the history of forever. What makes you think this guy is ready to be a WR coach?

While I agree with the coaching selection part of your post I do see the accountability factor pointing towards better overall coaching. The fact that we had multiple offensive players stay on the field despite displaying ineptitude throughout the past few seasons, Pittman, Driskel, Dunbar, Westbrook and Burton to name a few, the coaches would just trot them back out there series after series. Nobody knows for sure how a kid is going to perform when the lights come on, it's seeing that and making the needed changes that will define our new coaching staff....As far as their background goes, well maybe being around other good position coaches, Shannon, Rumph and Summers, as well as being under a offensive minded HC will rub off on them.....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What amalgam of traits (styles) define a good coach? He is a teacher first. He gets the correcting message across
to his position player. What gets transferred when an older man gets right in your face with his beet-red rage-face
and spews insanity at you? No learning, just ridiculed embarrassment, hate, etc.-- Chump's whole philosophy of
"you're a flop, always".

I'm wishing for a troop of receivers (that includes tight-ends) who respect talent of their responsibility-position and
go get it through constructive practice, practice, practice set to the right mindset. Let's have a troop like Hilliard,
Anthony, Jaq Green or Cornelius, etc. -- ones that go get the ball, so our QB can throw to an empty, open spot
where no DB recognizes as a target for the incoming pass. ?? = Gator WRs of old helping to create a Danny,
a Grossman, a Leak, a Tebow, who's next ?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jaq Green? Never heard that. Everyone called him 'Quez or 'Quezzy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Chris leak was more qualified to coach the receivers than fiu's running back coach and he's a gator. I definitely don't get that move.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to spend the first couple games trying to figure out who the f*ck #4 is on the field because he cut his hair. :lol:

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n267666 said:
Chris leak was more qualified to coach the receivers than fiu's running back coach and he's a gator. I definitely don't get that move.

I'll trust Mcelwains judgement. I think he's put together a hell of a staff for the most part.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n267633 said:

Besides, it wasn't Leak's fault. Think he doesn't know the route tree? Think Roper didn't? They purposefully dumbed down everything for the Big Dummy trying to find something he could do well. We took away the read from the read option because he couldn't do it. He admitted it in several interviews. We simplified the passing game trying to make it easy for Big Dummy. It's as simple as that.

As for smurfy slot receivers, I'm not a fan. They get blasted by LBs and knocked out for the month or season. I much prefer hybrid TE types in the slot.

Who would like this post?! Oh.... t

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n267668 said:
I'm going to spend the first couple games trying to figure out who the f*ck #4 is on the field because he cut his hair. :lol:
I don't think we should allow a receiver to wear #4 for a while. Too soon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n267672 said:
Who would like this post?! Oh.... t

25234265.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.