Program Turnaround Question

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My personal opinion is it's Meyer who's been the best at checking off the boxes from the OP.

Not that Spurrier didn't oversee an amazing turnaround, too, but Meyer won a freaking title in the second season, partly on the basis of the ST he coached, and set the table for a second. I'm not sure his recruiting from 2005 to 2007 has ever been equaled or ever will be.

A few observations re CP:

1) That wasn't a decent roster he inherited. It was horrible. On top of it all, Scot Brantley, the best player on the team, cracked his head in the opener and was lost for the season. By the end of the year, Larry Ochab was the starter behind center. Let that idea roll around in your cranium.

2) Pell went 9-2 in '83 with an excellent, excellent football team. Yes, Hall was 8-0 in '84 after Pell was dismissed, but hello? Who hired him to replace the departed Mike Shanahan? And wouldn't Hall have been the guy calling the plays anyway?

That OL, possibly the best of all time, was gonna be there one way or another. We damn near beat the defending national champion in the opener behind a walk-on freshman at QB.

3) For a board as consumed with facilities as this one is, y'all would be duly impressed to know what Pell almost singlehandedly did with ours. From 0-60 in three seconds flat.

The guy was pretty amazing when you stop and think about everything he accomplished in a relatively short span.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll concede Spurrier left the team in better shape for Zook than Urban did for Muschamp.
Rex, TJ and Graham is a far better trio to work an offense around than JB, Deonte/Reed and Rainey/Demps.
On the flip side Muschamp was left with blue chips all over the place on defense , which is his strength
and enough pieces of the puzzle on offense that is a decent comp to what Urban was left with (Leak, Baker/Bubba ,Wynn ).
Personally I enjoy Steve's version of ball better with a dynamic passing attack than the Meyer spread, which works the passing
game off running the ball. Two very different philosophies that led to domination of many opponents . It's a tough one. I'll take Meyer
by the thinnest of margins.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
SOS from those selections. Urban is not going back for the long term if at all. Only SOS out of the selections is good enough to make an offense go, and recruiting can be done by others. Just my opinion of course.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I really looked at this more from the long term angle, and to a degree ignored the turn around issue, but I didn't discount what Spurrier did a Duke. Yeah you can line up the candidates:

Pell, tough, organized, driven
Meyer: tough, organized, driven

All fit the mold of the typical coach. Plenty more of them can be mentioned:

Bryant: tough, organized, driven
Saban: tough, organized, driven
And on and on.

There will never be another Spurrier. He broke the mold. He was nothing like typical..Those years were as much about our fan base having fun as winning. And he managed both.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You’re on crack. Pell was fired in 1984 with a record of 1-1-1....Galen Hall coached us to the vacated SEC title. Pell took us to the nearest thing to a death penalty that has been seen since SMU actually got it. Pell was the best coach FSU ever had.

I’m offended that you would say I’m on crack. I would never touch that ghetto drug. I was however high on coke for most of the decade.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The answer appears to be a debate between SOS and the liar but let’s not understate what Pell accomplished.
Before I proceed, this premise includes the disregard for any NCAA issues.
With that said, neither SOS or the liar inherited a roster anywhere near as weak as the crap Pell found when he hit Gainesville. By 1982 Pell had built a team that was of SEC championship level with gobs of great college and NFL caliber talent
The only things that prohibited us from championships right away were the NCAA clouds and the losing culture that permeated the football program.
I am not suggesting that I would prefer Pell over SOS, I am merely wanting to give Pell his props.
Pell simply duplicated the approach he learned at Alabama and as a result he never considered the NCAA to be a potential problem. We collectively received an education on the “sacred cow” culture that lives in the NCAA to this day. Say what you want but the man built a championship roster in 3 years

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer set the program back a decade
The fact that anyone still believes this garbage is maddening. Go take your medication. FOLEY set the program back a decade.

Anyone who makes this claim again is banned for life.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that anyone still believes this garbage is maddening. Go take your medication. FOLEY set the program back a decade.

If Urban has any leftover regrets from his time in Gainesville, the broken program comment is probably near the top.

Folks have been running wild as Meyer's players with that Meyerism for over a decade.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You think this is good? You should see me whip up Hamburger Helper at home.
I don’t know why they call it hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Yes, Demps, Rainey, Debose and Thompson were the makings of a championship team for sure.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yes, Demps, Rainey, Debose and Thompson were the makings of a championship team for sure.

Considering Demps scored the go ahead TD against Alabama in 2008 and was a big part of our offense en route to a NC, I'd say he definitely fits that mold. You're also conveniently leaving off Mike G and Super Bowl Champ Trey Burton. Not to mention several other O/OL players that at least played some in the NFL. In order to win a title, they would've been tasked with scoring 20 or so points a game, considering the defense Meyer left them.

In any event, there's quite a step from "championship team" to "broken". Again, it wasn't a perfect roster by any stretch. But go back and look at the names on that 2011 roster. It absolutely wasn't broken. And I'm quite certain it wasn't Meyer insisting that UF stay in the stone ages in terms of facilities. The whole Meyer did this is just a convenient way of shielding blame from the person(or people) to whom it really belongs.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

Perfectly stated and authoritarian. I wholeheartedly support this threat. It's definitely Foley!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator