Rams/Saints no-call

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
BNA, shrink up that annoying sig or I'm going to remove the entire thing. Ridiculous.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As usual, Doug is completely wrong. The NFL can do just that.

Consider Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1: “The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

Even though Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman admits that he opted to wipe out Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis because Robey-Coleman believed he’d been beaten for a touchdown, it’s hard to imagine this being the kind of “extraordinarily unfair” act that would have a major effect on the outcome of the game. Then again, the rule is there for a reason; if ever it would be invoked, wouldn’t now be the time to do it?

And here’s where it gets even juicier. Consider Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3: “The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include . . . the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

Basically, the Commissioner has the power to turn back time to the spot of the penalty that wasn’t called, put the teams back on the field from that point in the game, give the Saints first and goal at the spot of the foul, put 1:49 on the clock, and let the game proceed, tied at 20, with the Rams having one time out left.

Commissioner has authority to take action over Rams-Saints outcome, in theory

I think Goodell will simply reschedule the entire game. Expect an announcement shortly.
Can you imagine the uproar if Goodell flexed his authority? This is one time where he absolutely should.

Bring 'em back out on the field and replay the waning moments of regulation. I'd love it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As usual, Doug is completely wrong. The NFL can do just that.

Consider Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1: “The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.”

Even though Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman admits that he opted to wipe out Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis because Robey-Coleman believed he’d been beaten for a touchdown, it’s hard to imagine this being the kind of “extraordinarily unfair” act that would have a major effect on the outcome of the game. Then again, the rule is there for a reason; if ever it would be invoked, wouldn’t now be the time to do it?

And here’s where it gets even juicier. Consider Rule 17, Section 2, Article 3: “The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include . . . the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.”

Basically, the Commissioner has the power to turn back time to the spot of the penalty that wasn’t called, put the teams back on the field from that point in the game, give the Saints first and goal at the spot of the foul, put 1:49 on the clock, and let the game proceed, tied at 20, with the Rams having one time out left.

Commissioner has authority to take action over Rams-Saints outcome, in theory

I think Goodell will simply reschedule the entire game. Expect an announcement shortly.

And they are going to do that, and have done that when?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And they are going to do that, and have done that when?
Goodell is expected to announce a full replay of the game shortly. Will take place this weekend.

There's nothing more satisfying than correcting a know-it-all like Doug. Especially a know-it-all that is paid with my taxes. I'm basically his boss.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Goodell is expected to announce a full replay of the game shortly. Will take place this weekend.

Put down the Zima Ox, a missed call doesn't fit into the rule you are quoting. Also won't take away any media away from the Pro Bowl.... It's a missed call, a bad one. But there have been worse in the playoffs that were not overturned.

Now the official should be reprimanded.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Put down the Zima Ox, a missed call doesn't fit into the rule you are quoting. Also won't take away any media away from the Pro Bowl.... It's a missed call, a bad one. But there have been worse in the playoffs that were not overturned.

Now the official should be reprimanded.
How does a no-call on interference AND helmet-to-helmet deep in Rams territory with less than 2:00 on the clock in the NFC Championship with the score tied not qualify as a calamity?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How does a no-call on interference AND helmet-to-helmet deep in Rams territory with less than 2:00 on the clock in the NFC Championship with the score tied not qualify as a calamity?

So one play is saying that the other 59:30 seconds of that game was rigged to one team or another? There was no way for the Saints to win the game because of a 10/15 second play?

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Saints fan? How is it ludicrous, the call doesn't get call.. you are at 4th down, and possibly don't score. The PI gets called Saints get the ball back run another 1+ min off the clock and at least still get the field goal. But the Saints got the ball first in OT, and gave it to the Rams. It's not like the game ended on that call, or on the Brady call.

Nah brother, I said I’m not a Saints fan but I am even less a fan of refs too incompetent to do their job. I agree that the timing of this no-call is particularly why it is so egregious but how the hell does that guy swallow his whistle there? It was stunning. And not like beautiful woman stunning either.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Doug is dug in like a Louisiana tick. He's wrong, but he'll try and fight his way out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So one play is saying that the other 59:30 seconds of that game was rigged to one team or another? There was no way for the Saints to win the game because of a 10/15 second play?
On third-and-10 at the LA 13, it's a calamity.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If one team is clearly better than another, it won't come down to one play or one call/missed call.
No **** Sherlock! Did you get this gem straight from the department of No Duh?

The teams were very evenly matched. That's why they were playing each other for the championship. And that's why an egregious no-call like this is so huge.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nah brother, I said I’m not a Saints fan but I am even less a fan of refs too incompetent to do their job. I agree that the timing of this no-call is particularly why it is so egregious but how the hell does that guy swallow his whistle there? It was stunning. And not like beautiful woman stunning either.

The officiating in the playoffs, has been horrid.... got not argument against that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On third-and-10 at the LA 13, it's a calamity.

So after the play, the Saints had no way to win the game. The system was obviously rigged against them for the 60+ minutes the game was going on?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No **** Sherlock! Did you get this gem straight from the department of No Duh?

The teams were very evenly matched. That's why they were playing each other for the championship. And that's why an egregious no-call like this is so huge.

Bad no call, no one is arguing that. But same no call at the end of the first half what would you think about it?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So after the play, the Saints had no way to win the game. The system was obviously rigged against them for the 60+ minutes the game was going on?
So Payton should have gone for it on fourth-and-10? You're really digging a hole now.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bad no call, no one is arguing that. But same no call at the end of the first half what would you think about it?
Its not the same. Follow on events are always contingent upon preceeding events. So something that happens early in a game watered down by the fact that it changes the game conditions and decision making along the way. For example, the decision to go for a two point conversion is completely dependent upon previous scoring plays.

This however, was the very end of the game. Had the penalty been called, the Saints would have run out the clock and none of the following scoring plays would have happened. Its pretty cut and dried for any logically thinking person.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So Payton should have gone for it on fourth-and-10? You're really digging a hole now.

'78, what I'm saying is... to raise the point of a replay, you have to show that for 60 minutes or in this case 60+ minutes the chips were stacked against the Saints to the point they had no shot at winning. The facts don't support that argument. In fact, after the bad call, they still could have stopped the Rams driving for the game tying field goal. They didn't stop that. Then they had the opportunity, by getting the ball first in Overtime. But lets not address that? This isn't like the swindle in the swamp, where 6 turnover calls clearly were wrong and went to a single team.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: I just love watching someone dig and dig and dig.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Its not the same. Follow on events are always contingent upon preceeding events. So something that happens early in a game watered down by the fact that it changes the game conditions and decision making along the way. For example, the decision to go for a two point conversion is completely dependent upon previous scoring plays.

This however, was the very end of the game. Had the penalty been called, the Saints would have run out the clock and none of the following scoring plays would have happened. Its pretty cut and dried for any logically thinking person.

So what your saying for this 15 second play, the other 60+ minutes didn't matter. Because the Saints had no recourse after this play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator