Gator Baseball Replacements For Sully

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
And aggrating to attempt to purchase single game tickets.

On Tuesday website says no tickets available.

Yet, there are scads of empty seats when they show the stands during the televised games.

Many people buy tickets and do not go to the game, thus you see empty seats. I missed quite a few myself this season

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Perhaps Skip Bertman walked into the meeting and said there is no way that a coach whose teams play without basic fundamentals is going to be the head coach at the place I built!:stirpot::stirpot:

Oh no he di'n't, not the coach that was responsible for the phrase gorilla ball.

No way.
No how.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Just a few random thoughts/opinions

1) Baseball as a whole on all levels is going away from small ball..unfortunately we are in the strike out or launch it 430’ phase of the game....although Sully has the power to teach small ball, that’s not what the pros are doing anymore so his attitude is probably why bother teaching it?

2) The new ballpark is very nice but I will never understand why they made it 10k capacity when they are lucky to get 6k. We just don’t have the same passionate following as Arky, LSU, Miss State, etc

3) I never understood Sully’s infatuation with Aleman...should have just stayed with Leftwich as the middle starter

4) If there are going to be any coaching changes, can it please be someone who teaches defense and baserunning? We seemed to be awful at those this year

5) If/when Sully leaves, it’s going to be a pretty big loss..top 5 recruiting class every year, guaranteed regional host annually, guaranteed no worse than finishing top 5/6 in SEC annually

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

1) Baseball as a whole on all levels is going away from small ball..unfortunately we are in the strike out or launch it 430’ phase of the game....although Sully has the power to teach small ball, that’s not what the pros are doing anymore so his attitude is probably why bother teaching it?

2) The new ballpark is very nice but I will never understand why they made it 10k capacity when they are lucky to get 6k. We just don’t have the same passionate following as Arky, LSU, Miss State, etc

3) I never understood Sully’s infatuation with Aleman...should have just stayed with Leftwich as the middle starter

4) If there are going to be any coaching changes, can it please be someone who teaches defense and baserunning? We seemed to be awful at those this year

5) If/when Sully leaves, it’s going to be a pretty big loss..top 5 recruiting class every year, guaranteed regional host annually, guaranteed no worse than finishing top 5/6 in SEC annually

Sadly you are right. However, great baseball is not 'either/or'. It is not small ball or gorilla ball. It is 'both/and'. Reaching base, advancing base runners and crossing home plate. It is called 'strategerie'. It is called being trained and prepared to do whatever the pitching and defense gives you depending on the game situation. It is called being versatile and resourceful to put a 'W' in the win/loss column. A steady diet of pop-ups and strike-outs will not get you there consistently.

I do not remember any of our eminent posters advocating for the exclusive use of 'small-ball' nor ruling out the need for the occasional 3 run homer. But Sully-ball has always been weighted heavily toward gorilla ball and it just makes me sad.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Sorry you had to see that' -- How baserunning has become an embarrassing problem in Major League Baseball

article on BSPN if anyone interested. Still no excuse.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Sorry you had to see that' -- How baserunning has become an embarrassing problem in Major League Baseball

article on BSPN if anyone interested. Still no excuse.

Part and parcel of the same thought processes. If you rely on the long ball, the only base running skills you need are tagging all the bags. Manufacturing runs with hit and run, bunts, hitting behind the base runner, squeeze plays at home, etc. aren't important in that scheme. Hitters swinger to protect the baserunners seems to be a lost skill too.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Any update on if dipshyt Sully still our head coach?

The silence may actually give legs to an LSU move. No word as long as LSU is still alive. Sully has not provided any evaluations of the past season or announcements regarding next season. Only silence. I don't believe Strychnine is going to fire Sully unless there are morals issues which some on here have said are common knowledge. Another question is whether the AD will enter a bidding war if Sully is offered another job. The other question is whether LSU drags it out by taking more time to investigate Sully before finalizing an offer. But the silence may indicate that something is brewing.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Another question is whether the AD will enter a bidding war if Sully is offered another job.

tenor.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The silence may actually give legs to an LSU move. No word as long as LSU is still alive. Sully has not provided any evaluations of the past season or announcements regarding next season. Only silence. I don't believe Strychnine is going to fire Sully unless there are morals issues which some on here have said are common knowledge. Another question is whether the AD will enter a bidding war if Sully is offered another job. The other question is whether LSU drags it out by taking more time to investigate Sully before finalizing an offer. But the silence may indicate that something is brewing.

Very possible but possibly it is 2 other things. One, LSU might be targeting a coach whose team is still alive in the NCAA tourney, so all talks would be on the down low. Or secondly, the LSU peeps do not want anything to get out regardless of who they are targeting out of respect for Manieri as long as LSU is still in the tourney?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Very possible but possibly it is 2 other things. One, LSU might be targeting a coach whose team is still alive in the NCAA tourney, so all talks would be on the down low. Or secondly, the LSU peeps do not want anything to get out regardless of who they are targeting out of respect for Manieri as long as LSU is still in the tourney?

I agree regarding LSU's reasons for silence. My suspicions are based on Sully and UF's silence. If Sully is being courted by LSU he has to keep it quiet. Is that the reason for Sully's silence.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Well that is certainly a big name. But when Casey retired after basically inventing baseball at Oregon State, I thought he would have ridden off into the sunset. Maybe not.

At 62 He has to be an interim place holder rather than a long term hire unless he is going to compete with Augie Garrido and Wayne Graham to become the oldest coach to win the championship in Omaha.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
LSU Board of Directors have advised LSU not to Hire Sully. You can scratch him from that gig, at least that is what LSU has leaked public

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Sadly you are right. However, great baseball is not 'either/or'. It is not small ball or gorilla ball. It is 'both/and'. Reaching base, advancing base runners and crossing home plate. It is called 'strategerie'. It is called being trained and prepared to do whatever the pitching and defense gives you depending on the game situation. It is called being versatile and resourceful to put a 'W' in the win/loss column. A steady diet of pop-ups and strike-outs will not get you there consistently.

I do not remember any of our eminent posters advocating for the exclusive use of 'small-ball' nor ruling out the need for the occasional 3 run homer. But Sully-ball has always been weighted heavily toward gorilla ball and it just makes me sad.

I agree wholeheartedly....when MLB implemented the runner on 2nd to start extra innings rule, I thought for sure this will be bring back bunting....nope! They just go up there and take hacks and he’s left stranded on 2nd...it’s absurd and mind boggling

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.