Ricky Town to Arky

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just heard on Arkansas sports radio that somebody at Florida said they aren't interested in Town because UF wants a dual threat Qb and Town is a pocket passer. I believe the part about UF not wanting him, but I doubt it's because he isn't a running threat.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n263680 said:
Just heard on Arkansas sports radio that somebody at Florida said they aren't interested in Town because UF wants a dual threat Qb and Town is a pocket passer. I believe the part about UF not wanting him, but I doubt it's because he isn't a running threat.

Spivey's crap runs downhill on the interwebz.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So next year our qb depth chart will look like this.
Grier or Harris
Kyle trask

That would be the only scholarship quarterbacks we have and we wouldn't take a chance on a talented kid because he transferred too early? Just doesn't make any sense even if we do add a qb to this class. You don't want a true freshman back up if you can help it. Especially if that true freshman is less talented than your walk ons

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n263783 said:
So next year our qb depth chart will look like this.
Grier or Harris
Kyle trask

That would be the only scholarship quarterbacks we have and we wouldn't take a chance on a talented kid because he transferred too early? Just doesn't make any sense even if we do add a qb to this class. You don't want a true freshman back up if you can help it. Especially if that true freshman is less talented than your walk ons

Why is everybody so convinced Grier or Harris (who ever doesn't win the starting spot) will transfer? Just because it kept happening to the red faced idiot, doesn't mean it'll happen to JMac too.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Del Rio would also have eligibility, and experience, no?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n263801 said:
Why is everybody so convinced Grier or Harris (who ever doesn't win the starting spot) will transfer? Just because it kept happening to the red faced idiot, doesn't mean it'll happen to JMac too.
In most cases that's just what happens . I guess if Harris gets the nod , you could try to convince grier to wait around for his last year of eligibility. If grier gets the job youd have to convince Harris to change positions.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@schadjoe: Former USC quarterback Ricky Town said Friday he’ll transfer to Arkansas.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n263966 said:
@schadjoe: Former USC quarterback Ricky Town said Friday he’ll transfer to Arkansas.

We didn't want him anyway

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
t-gator;n263854 said:
In most cases that's just what happens . I guess if Harris gets the nod , you could try to convince grier to wait around for his last year of eligibility. If grier gets the job youd have to convince Harris to change positions.

Good thing that didn't happen in '93/early '94 when Dean was once again given the nod over Wuerffel. Or for that matter, I'm glad Palmer didn't shut it down when he was unseated by Grossman. Otherwise, we probably lose the 2000 uga game, and maybe have one less SEC title.

It's been mentioned in other threads. I think many are so pre-programmed to think that what we've become accustomed to in recent years is the norm. It's not. I don't see a transfer for either. But it's all the more reason why spacing things out makes a little sense. I'm sure if the coaches felt really good about RT, they would've pushed for him. But as it sits, he's clearly shown some mental weakness, and could very well move on from here in a year or two. In the meantime, it may affect things that are much more solid at this point. It just didn't make much sense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n263974 said:
Good thing that didn't happen in '93/early '94 when Dean was once again given the nod over Wuerffel. Or for that matter, I'm glad Palmer didn't shut it down when he was unseated by Grossman. Otherwise, we probably lose the 2000 uga game, and maybe have one less SEC title.

It's been mentioned in other threads. I think many are so pre-programmed to think that what we've become accustomed to in recent years is the norm. It's not. I don't see a transfer for either. But it's all the more reason why spacing things out makes a little sense. I'm sure if the coaches felt really good about RT, they would've pushed for him. But as it sits, he's clearly shown some mental weakness, and could very well move on from here in a year or two. In the meantime, it may affect things that are much more solid at this point. It just didn't make much sense.
You make good points but today is a different era. Dang near everybody transfers . Head case or not , i just can't get my head around possibly having all your eggs in one basket. I'm willing to give to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, I just think it's dangerous to go 2 years without signing a qb. Look at fsu they have a 1 or 2 5star qbs a year. That's what were competing with.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n263966 said:

We'll see if it works out better this time than the last when Mustain left Arky for USC.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We actually really didn't want him this time..

People keep thinking a guy like Franks or Cooper can't flip... it is a long way until signing day folks... a lot can change

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n264045 said:
We actually really didn't want him this time..

People keep thinking a guy like Franks or Cooper can't flip... it is a long way until signing day folks... a lot can change

I hope that's the case because this staff really wiffed on getting a qb in the last cycle and pretty much every top qb in this class is committed elsewhere. I think muschamp proved you can't sign a decent qb every 3 years. That's what this staff is in jeopardy of doing and it could be disastrous.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't get the mindset of not wanting to run off a 2017 kid. Look at Ohio state, why aren't we trying to have depth at the qb position like that? I'm sorry for questioning some of the moves the new staff has made but through coaching hires and commitments taken , I can't help but question the decisions being made.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
t-gator;n264050 said:
I just don't get the mindset of not wanting to run off a 2017 kid. Look at Ohio state, why aren't we trying to have depth at the qb position like that? I'm sorry for questioning some of the moves the new staff has made but through coaching hires and commitments taken , I can't help but question the decisions being made.

As much as it sucks to say, they're Ohio State right now, and we're UF. In Feb, 80% of their recruits signed for the opportunity to play for Meyer and a championship contender. 80% of our kids signed because of playing time and the ability to make an immediate impact. Take that away, and we're simply not a prime destination at the moment. It's just reality. No different than kids lining up to wait on the bench at Alabama every year. We don't have that right now.

But you're still not grasping risk v reward. How do you know that this kid--from California--doesn't like Gainesville after a year or so and decides to bail again. If he were a slam dunk option, or if he'd signed here initially, then great. But taking on a kid that is considered a head case, who has been trending down since his Jr year, who can't help us immediately, and who might affect our standing with a kid that is the polar opposite of those things and looks to be a key contributor to our future classes, isn't worth it. It's really simple.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n264050 said:

Looks like you've found a new Wolfpack with Tag and TRex.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n264092 said:
Looks like you've found a new Wolfpack with Tag and TRex.
Cmone don't be that way. We come here and put everything uf football on a microscope . I'm not all doom and gloom. I just feel one area that needs fixing isn't being adressed .Not saying that can't or wont change.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n264100 said:
Cmone don't be that way. We come here and put everything uf football on a microscope . I'm not all doom and gloom. I just feel one area that needs fixing isn't being adressed .Not saying that can't or wont change.

Y​ou do seem a tad fixated.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n264085 said:
As much as it sucks to say, they're Ohio State right now, and we're UF. In Feb, 80% of their recruits signed for the opportunity to play for Meyer and a championship contender. 80% of our kids signed because of playing time and the ability to make an immediate impact. Take that away, and we're simply not a prime destination at the moment. It's just reality. No different than kids lining up to wait on the bench at Alabama every year. We don't have that right now.

But you're still not grasping risk v reward. How do you know that this kid--from California--doesn't like Gainesville after a year or so and decides to bail again. If he were a slam dunk option, or if he'd signed here initially, then great. But taking on a kid that is considered a head case, who has been trending down since his Jr year, who can't help us immediately, and who might affect our standing with a kid that is the polar opposite of those things and looks to be a key contributor to our future classes, isn't worth it. It's really simple.
That kid's4 years away from being able to contribute. What if grier and Harris never catch on, we're sitting here another 3 or 4 years waiting on good qb play. The risk was definitely worth the reward. But it's irrelevant anyhow and we don't know for sure this staff didn't want him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator